IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

13 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Taiko has the rectifier and capacitors in stock and should be listing them on their website soon. 

did you get a chance to compare the taiko rectifier vs the saligny, or know of anyone who did?

the power version of the Saligny is no slouch!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

At this point, I have enough parts to build a V2 ULPS using the Slimline 3U chassis (or something else?) so I am considering building it up and selling it to recoup some funds from this wild adventure!

I don't have a chassis yet but if anyone is interested I can put this together and sell it for a reasonable price. With a few more parts, it can be changed to V3. Please let me know if there is interest. It would take some time to obtain the chassis and choke (or chokes for V3). I'll even include an Acme Audio fuse I have laying around.

Shameless plug for my Sablon 2020 USB cable up for grabs as well (price is negotiable).

Cheers,

-Rob

11 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Tell us more - how do the two differ in subjective listening?

Its diffucult to compare as overall the tests were done 6y ago , in speaker crossover in woofer section.

To make long story short - low frequecies were strong, punchy, amazing dynamic, precise, with great control of the speaker. This is typical behaviour of high quality thick solid core wire (and such one is used in mundorf).

Unfortunately woofer was also influencing midgrade heavily and here we need the coil to offer colorful, rich, warm, high resololution sound.

At the end we used 8AWG Jantzen Wax speaker coil for woofer instead of Mundorf, as we prefered rich sound in the midrange and good (but not perfect) bass.

As said, these tests were done in speaker, not in audio PC PSU :), also, remember that for PSU you need very low DCR (low resistance). 0,3R is the maximum which I would use in PSU If someone would force me to use choke.

I'm not sure at all that a speaker filter coil can be used as choke without ensuring that the iron core can cope with the power and the air gap is dimensioned properly to avoid saturation. Low DCR is a nice to have, even chokes with highish DCR can do wonders when designed correctly...choke design is an art. 

In a speaker I try to avoid needin coils, but there a  (near) zero Ohm version is great, there a quite a few manufacturers making them BTW, and those are far less expensive than the pharmacy called Mundorf ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm not sure at all that a speaker filter coil can be used as choke without ensuring that the iron core can cope with the power and the air gap is dimensioned properly to avoid saturation. Low DCR is a nice to have, even chokes with highish DCR can do wonders when designed correctly...choke design is an art. 

In a speaker I try to avoid needin coils, but there a  (near) zero Ohm version is great, there a quite a few manufacturers making them BTW, and those are far less expensive than the pharmacy called Mundorf ;-)

Care to name the other manufacturers ? :-)

google? Intertechnik is one, but likely a quick glance as a DIY speaker building material shop carries more weight. I haven't bought one in ages, two way speakers did not require them, and full range even less ;-)

Posting here as I think I am on topic ? And all the experts are all here. Happy to start another thread though?

I built an SJ LPSU based on @Nenons design and with help from the amazing Mr Jacobs.

I have an audiograde Toroidy TX and didn t go for the Mundorfs. Probably unwisely, I went for 2 sets of regulators per rail instead . Although only one on the 12v rails. So i have separate 3.3V, 5V and 2 x 12V rails (24pin connector and 4 pin EPS.) Separate 5V for Jcat XE USB CARD

This replaced a standard supply in the Streacom f10 case. Passively cooled with a riser.

The old I3 board or processor has died. Not sure why. The LPSU  measured fine. But nothing happens. No boot of any kind. CMOS  battery fine! No signs of distress 

Have decided it has to be upgrade time, want to keep The LPSU,  the case and USB card. Have gathered that Higher powered Processors are the way to go. Had a useful chat with @MarcelNL about Ryzens, but only the OEM version R9 has a low enough TDP and they are very hard to find

Important to keep an eye on temp as I have 4 regulators and a current booster in the Streacom and also considering M2 storage and a Jcat ethernet card. 

I was thinking this: ASUS PRIME https://www.quietpc.com/asus-z690m-plus-d4?product=7184) with a 65W TDP i7 or I9.

The riser would clear the heatsinks, but does that create too much heat in that oart of the case

Would add a small NVMe Ssd for the OS and a larger one for storage. With Apacer RAM.

System to use Jplay femto, playing native files, no upsampling. Thinking of partitioning HD to compare Win server 2019, Win 11.

Any  thoughts or different views appreciated.

Assumptions:

1/Not worth getting a full sized board as dont need so many connections?

2/ higher power (over 65WTDP) will get too hot?

3/ it is worth going for highest spec processor, despite the very low demand in this context?

Thanks 

did you try the old MB with a bog standard computer SMPS?

getting a 'full board' is worth it, you want the gamers top pick, with as many 'phases' and double copper etc as you can get, power is king!

(the other questions we discussed in PM, I'll leave room for counterbalance here)

Whether the USB card will fit depends on what USB card you pick, I suspect it will fit.

The shorter slots are 1 speed, the others are faster,

Ultimately you may need three slots, a Graphics card, network card, and an output card (USB I2S or whatever). I do not see having two 'small' PCI slots as a feature, 'large'or full size (rather full -16speed-) PCIe slots are downward compatible but the small PCIe slots not upwards compatible. Should you at any point want to use a powerful GPU to do filtering or any other fancy DSP like processing you'll need a full speed PCIe slot.

another, much more important difference, between micro ATX boards and full size ATX board is the power handling capability....the better a MB can handle power the better it is for sound.

1 minute ago, Exocer said:

Exciting!

Can I get in queue for 1 of each item shown above? Interested in why there is a lone 22,000uf 40v Mundorf AG there besides the rectifier board.

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Received a nicely packed packed from Oldenzaal:

image.thumb.png.5f20d6b12e2a04bca0592bb3a5f8d886.png

image.thumb.png.bd4158b99e4a751438cf7f4e2acaf2f8.png

image.thumb.png.f6b63228a3a929b996583cdaaf323451.png

image.thumb.png.5cf695d371d8a423901439eae6dcac61.png

very nice

any price yet ?

I'm interested in hearing a comparison between the taiko rectifier and the Saligny Power rectifier!

Just now, Nenon said:

Someone else will have to do this test. I think @Exocer volunteered. 

FWIW, Taiko's rectifier uses massive mosfets capable of 180A. 

O sure, I was not aiming at you! I know Exocer has the Saligny Power on their way to him. 180Amps.....hmmm I want that one!

1 minute ago, Nenon said:

Someone else will have to do this test. I think @Exocer volunteered. 

FWIW, Taiko's rectifier uses massive mosfets capable of 180A. 

I did volunteer. The test will compare the high power Saligny to the Taiko. Ill also compare them all to the Saligny standard we’ve all used up until now. Looking forward to it!