IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

5 hours ago, esldude said:

The worst? You get the entire high end snake oil industry.  Not all high end is snake oil, but these days the overwhelming majority of it is.  It is in the millions of dollars of fraudulent product.  Maybe it is like non-prescription boner supplements.  I don't see it as a good thing.  I mean maybe the people buying that are convincing themselves and having the best kind of fun.  So does it sound like praise or a compliment or a good goal to say much of the subjectivist based audio industry is just as good as Enzyte?

We have Enzyte Bob, and we have MQA Bob.  Maybe they are about equal.

I think your scenario is extremely far fetched. 

I also see no objective data that an “overwhelming majority” of the industry is snake oil. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

@The Computer Audiophile

Any chance we might be able to have a guest editorial from the opposite point of view?

Absolutely 100%. 

29 minutes ago, crenca said:

What Big Crazy?  Nothing to see here, move along move along...

You know Chris, I halfway expect you to soon start arguing that the labels are good corporate citizens, well run, and have the best interests of the artists and consumers at heart...

How convenient. I ask for objective data and you shoot the messenger. What's next, pour water on the guy who pulled the fire alarm?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

What are you even talking about - is not part of your and the OP's complaint that objectivist revel in, even make a "religion" out of disagreeing with subjectivists?  

Here is another cliche of the subjective/objective divide in the background of this conversation:

Subjectivist get along and "like" their fellow audiophiles, where as objectivists are grumpy misanthropes who just can't get along...

If you're here just for the sport of arguing or making this the front line in your war on HiFi, it's time to move on. If you're here to increase your enjoyment of HiFi and music listening, then please stay, but start to act like this is why you're here. 

32 minutes ago, crenca said:

Seriously, it just this sort of absurdity the divide leads to if either side demands capitulation and conversion from the other....wait, is that not exactly what the OP and yourself are saying is bad!

You've created the absurdity in your head. I never said anything like it.

If capitulation means being civil and treating people well, then capitulate.

2+2 always = 4. I don’t believe people must get out the paper and pencil in order to talk about it with others. Just my thoughts on this one. 

I wish some of the objectivists talked more about their listening experiences but everyone has their specialty and I’m reluctantly OK with it.