IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I use the A side SFP as the connection to my optical device, with the ethernet feed from another switch connected to the eR.  The eR is powered by an ultra Cap 1.2.

My system never has sounded better. I can't think of one aspect of music reproduction that isn't at least a bit better and some - bass and imaging - are much better. I don't notice any concomitant downside.

All in all, in my system, anyway, using the eR as an FMC is a superb idea, especially if you don't need to use the extra A side connections. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

44 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I use the A side SFP as the connection to my optical device, with the ethernet feed from another switch connected to the eR.  The eR is powered by an ultra Cap 1.2.

My system never has sounded better. I can't think of one aspect of music reproduction that isn't at least a bit better and some - bass and imaging - are much better. I don't notice any concomitant downside.

All in all, in my system, anyway, using the eR as an FMC is a superb idea, especially if you don't need to use the extra A side connections. 

Thank you @Mike Rubin for the answer... Can you please clarify the topology of your system i.e. how exactly fider is connected in relation to eR, as I am not sure that I understood that. Thank you in advance

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas

I don't know how to create those slick flow charts, so I will repeat in prose what my signature below states:

Synology DS218+ NAS and NUC 10 i7 (Roon/Jriver/Audirvana -> copper ethernet cables -> xfinity xfi router -> copper ethernet cable —> Netgear unmanaged switch -> copper ethernet cable -> etherRegen B side -> SFP -> optical fiber cable -> SFP -> Sonore Signature Rendu SE optical version (built-in SFP port) -> USB cable -> DAC. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

10 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I don't know how to create those slick flow charts, so I will repeat in prose what my signature below states:

Synology DS218+ NAS and NUC 10 i7 (Roon/Jriver/Audirvana -> copper ethernet cables -> xfinity xfi router -> copper ethernet cable —> Netgear unmanaged switch -> copper ethernet cable -> etherRegen B side -> SFP -> optical fiber cable -> SFP -> Sonore Signature Rendu SE optical version (built-in SFP port) -> USB cable -> DAC. 

This is great. Got it. So, you have eR reversed i.e. from B to A so you can connect fiber going ultimately to your DAC. Thank you

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas

26 minutes ago, sot13 said:

This is great. Got it. So, you have eR reversed i.e. from B to A so you can connect fiber going ultimately to your DAC. Thank you

Exactly right!BE11D895-3920-4D28-BDFE-B8C3D97811F0.thumb.jpeg.de2a2ba984c4fcf85ccf682a6469381c.jpeg

25 minutes ago, fuzzypoodle said:

@Mike Rubin ... off topic ... can you share the details on your creative shelf for vertically housing ER+LPS ? ... never ending expansion of small LPS and cables calls for creative real estate solutions! :)

It is this piece:

Hivexagon 2 Slot Vertical Laptop... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085MC6ZGL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

15 minutes ago, fuzzypoodle said:

Thanks! ... and what are the footers underneath ?

The Vibrapod-branded version of these, bought from Audio Advisor about 30 years ago.  These Pangea ones look like exactly the same product, just relabeled  to the AA house brand.  

They have absolutely zero impact on sound quality that I can hear, but they do get the stand off the shelf enough to improve the air circulation a bit.  I can’t measure temps, though, so I don’t know if they actually have any prophylactic effect in the overheating department.  The eR and Cap 1.2 both still run quite warm despite my ventilation efforts.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGMEGA

So got the regen...

took the cage out of the optical module..

inserted it into the regen..

clock set to internal..

B side (remember I’m going B to A) has solid yellow and blinking green...

no lights on A side and optical Rendu won’t fully load, orange only.

Take out the regen and restore the optical module..all works fine..

suggestions?

Greg

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

11 minutes ago, reruam said:

suggestions?

check if the SFP module is actually connected

had to push it "pretty hard" in my ER's SFP cage to make it work

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

8 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

check if the SFP module is actually connected

had to push it "pretty hard" in my ER's SFP cage to make it work

Same here.  It requires quite a push to seat it.  Also, be careful that it doesn't dislodge if you have occasion to move the eR around at all. Mine has come loose while unplugging and re-plugging my rendu at the *other* end of the optical cable and when placing vibrapods under the notebook stand that holds my eR in an upright position. 

You guys are right....

however...

there’s a “lock” switch or something..

the small black lever...

engaged..doesn’t work..

left down or open..it works...

whatever...

Thank you!!

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

24 minutes ago, reruam said:

You guys are right....

however...

there’s a “lock” switch or something..

the small black lever...

engaged..doesn’t work..

left down or open..it works...

whatever...

Thank you!!

That's peculiar, but happy to hear that fiddling got it working. 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:11 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hey Alex,

Received my EtherRegen this afternoon here in Singapore much earlier than expected ... thanks !

Was busy modifying my Bel Canto FM-1 tuner from green to blue led display with newly received vacuum desoldering kit for 72 pins of 4x 18 pins 8 segment leds but managed to hook up the EtherRegen with accompanying adaptor to my diy 2kVA isotrans in star topology and pulled out my unused Meicord Cat 6 ethernet cable to wired up my wifi mesh. From the EtherRegen, it is all Audio Revive metal shield ethernet cables to my Antipode EX+CX stack.

Wow ! Whichever and whatever limitation I had must had been serious and solved by having the EtherRegen because full flac internet radio station of HiOnLine, RadioParadize etc. as well as local lowly 64k AAC bitrate stations suddenly became more detailed, expansive and music just pops 🥳🥳.

Many thanks for having such a great product for 24/7 internet radio users like me.

Cheers.

Richard

Welcome to the eR family Richard 😃

APPLE Mac Mini | HUAWEI S5700 Dual OCXO Network Switch | SONORE opticalRENDU | SINGXER SU-6 | HOLO AUDIO MAY L3 | CLASSÉ CAP-80 | RAIDHO X-1

DENON DP-300F + NAGAOKA MP-110 • NAIM Muso QB • YAMAHA YSP-2700

APPLE MacBook Pro | TOPPING 10s | KINKI STUDIO THR-1 | HIFIMAN Arya

On 1/21/2021 at 5:04 AM, Abolive said:

Hello guys,

I'm sorry if this has been reashed before, but the threads about the ER are very rich: I'm looking for a RJ connector to terminate the cable plugged in the A side. Should I avoid metal and is there something you'd recommend ? Thanks

Hi Abolive,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to select an Ethernet cable and you are asking if you should be using a plastic or metal RJ45 on the cable you buy? Are you building your own Ethernet cable and want to know what plug type to buy? Something Else?

Thanks,

John S.

Hi Everybody.

00188B16-57B5-4DFB-8649-90958CA7AC17.thumb.jpeg.9f182ad9bd8e0fa3b6fc42beb8c536db.jpeg
I have an issue connecting EtherRegen with my LG C9 TV.
It is very strange.
I have connected EtherRegen from router to A port and B to Server. If i connect TV to an A free port it doesn’t work, but if i connect TV (instead of server) on B port it works.
When i reverse B to A Server and TV plays perfectly but SQ decreases..
I don’t understand it.
TV connected directly to router works too.

Cheers !!!