IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

At Superdad or John Swenson,

I would like to upgrade my current installation to the following setup:

Router

|

Netgear GS308v3 ---- PC Streamer/server (Windows, RoonServer)

|                              ---- PC Upsampling (Linux, HQPlayer Embedded)

|

Sonore OpticalModule

|

| (optical cable)

|

EtherREGEN

|

PC Endpoint (Windows, HQPlayer NAA)

|

DAC (T+A DAC 8 DSD)

The optical cable allows me to place the installation in separate rooms with some distance apart and a galvanic separation. The objective is to upsample to DSD512 to get the best from the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

From a post in the thread for the Sonore OpticalModule (by John Swenson September 6, 2019) I understand that the switches should be able to handle flow control/pause frame (IEEE 802.3x). I have checked and it is in the specification for the Netgear switch, but could not find anything in the specification or manual for the EtherREGEN. Will the EtherREGEN function in this setup?

In this setup can I profit from going from the A-side to the B-side of the EtherREGEN? Theoretical it should (45Mb/s for DSD512), but as always practice can be different. The EtherREGEN is one of the first batch, so already some time in my installation and I would like it to stay 😀.

Any further advice on do's or dont's would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Robert

To me it seems that you PC endpoint defies the whole purpose of the ER and fiber galvanic isolation. 
the whole idea of using fiber and ER with it’s “moat” is to isolate the dirt from the front end from reaching the network player/DAC.
A PC is known to be dirty and noisy unless it is custom built to be super quite and clean - but then that is usually called a “network player”

Is your pc end point just a stock pc?

Can’t you replace it with a Sonore rendu or similar device?

3 hours ago, Rovo said:

From a post in the thread for the Sonore OpticalModule (by John Swenson September 6, 2019) I understand that the switches should be able to handle flow control/pause frame (IEEE 802.3x).

Yes, the EtherREGEN absolutely has supported flow-control/pause packets from the very beginning. B|

The original Sonore opticalModule (the one in the small, microRendu-size case) does not, but the new opticalModule Deluxe does.

3 hours ago, Rovo said:

In this setup can I profit from going from the A-side to the B-side of the EtherREGEN? Theoretical it should (45Mb/s for DSD512), but as always practice can be different. The EtherREGEN is one of the first batch, so already some time in my installation and I would like it to stay

Your use case and chain as described is quite typical, so yes, A>B, fiber>copper should benefit you in the same way as for so many others.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:36 AM, Stereophonic said:

have an issue connecting EtherRegen with my LG C9 TV.
It is very strange.
I have connected EtherRegen from router to A port and B to Server. If i connect TV to an A free port it doesn’t work, but if i connect TV (instead of server) on B port it works.
When i reverse B to A Server and TV plays perfectly but SQ decreases..

In the 14 months of shipping EtherREGEN you are the third person to report exactly that problem when using our 

switch with an LG OLED television.  We can only conclude that there is something odd about the way the LG network connection works and some incompatibility between it and the EtherREGEN.

It is extremely rare to find a documented case of true incompatibility—as EtherREGEN pretty much functions as a normal unmanaged switch. Yet it seems you have encounter one of the few. I recall that the other two people found simple workaround—allowing them to keep the LG TV upstream of the EtherREGEN—of first attaching the LG to a small cheap switch and feeding that into one of the ‘A’ side ports. I’m not sure if that cheap switch needs to be 100Mbps or if it can be a Gigabit-capable switch.

2 hours ago, Abolive said:

Hello all. I've got a weird noise coming from the ER and it spoils my listening sessions, being easily heard from where I seat.

I recorded it (see attached). Have you already heard it? Apart from the fact is voids the improvements brought by the ER, I'm worried my unit is faulty. 

Hi Arnaud:

You have had your EtherREGEN for just over 1 year.  Is it only now developing the mechanical noise you recorded?

Are you certain it is coming from the EtherREGEN itself and not from the UpTone-branded SMPS power brick? (1 or 2 out of 1,000 of those develop a mechanical buzz due to loosening of transformer windings.) Important to know: Are you using our supply or some other brand power supply? If a 3rd-party unit, what model and voltage?

The only part on the circuit board which could possibly develop the noise you recorded would be the inductor embedded in the isolating DC converter we across the moat to get power to the 'B' side.

A week ago someone else sent in their new EtherREGEN with a similar complaint (though he referred to it as a very high-pitched "chirp"). But I ran his unit for a couple of days--with the aluminum case both on and off--and could not reproduce the problem with his.  We swapped in a new board--equally dead-silent to my ears (and to my 19 year old son's ears in case the pitch was too high for my 58 year hearing) and sent back to him.  What is really strange is that he says the new board still "chirps."

So we are left scratching our heads--since you are only the second person to report this phenomenon.  Still, it is concerning to us. :|

While the slight mechanical noise in no way affects the electrical performance of the EtherREGEN, if you can hear it from a distance (quite surprising!), then we would want to take care of that for you by exchanging your unit (and studying your sample).  You would need to mail it back to us. I will reply to your e-mail with instructions.

We received your e-mail about this on Friday. I was away for the weekend and am just now facing the tall mountain of nearly 100 inquiries which came in since my departure Thursday afternoon.

We hope that everyone sending us messages understands that properly responding to each takes time (I often spend 6-7 hours a day replying to e-mail which is greatly impacting other work as well as my lower-back and neck.). There is a priority order for e-mail: First up are troubles, second are order logistics, third are quick usage and applicability questions. And tied for last are: a) the huge number of long messages with people describing their systems in detail, asking about different connection setups, or if the EtheREGEN will benefit them and how; b) dealer/importer and press inquiries (we leave so much money on the table because we can't keep up with demand).

Cordialement,

--Alex C.

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Arnaud:

You have had your EtherREGEN for just over 1 year.  Is it only now developing the mechanical noise you recorded?

I plugged it last week only (I had a stroke in the meantime and had other things to take care of 😒). I noticed the noise 4 days ago.

Are you certain it is coming from the EtherREGEN itself and not from the UpTone-branded SMPS power brick? (1 or 2 out of 1,000 of those develop a mechanical buzz due to loosening of transformer windings.)

Yes only the ER, not the power brick

Important to know: Are you using our supply or some other brand power supply? If a 3rd-party unit, what model and voltage?

No, I'm just using the stock power brick.

The only part on the circuit board which could possibly develop the noise you recorded would be the inductor embedded in the isolating DC converter we across the moat to get power to the 'B' side.

A week ago someone else sent in their new EtherREGEN with a similar complaint (though he referred to it as a very high-pitched "chirp"). But I ran his unit for a couple of days--with the aluminum case both on and off--and could not reproduce the problem with his.  We swapped in a new board--equally dead-silent to my ears (and to my 19 year old son's ears in case the pitch was too high for my 58 year hearing) and sent back to him.  What is really strange is that he says the new board still "chirps."

I don't know if my noise can be qualified as such, but it is a bit high-pitched (were you able to listen to the recording attached?)

So we are left scratching our heads--since you are only the second person to report this phenomenon.  Still, it is concerning to us. :|

While the slight mechanical noise in no way affects the electrical performance of the EtherREGEN, if you can hear it from a distance (quite surprising!), then we would want to take care of that for you by exchanging your unit (and studying your sample).  You would need to mail it back to us. I will reply to your e-mail with instructions.

We received your e-mail about this on Friday. I was away for the weekend and am just now facing the tall mountain of nearly 100 inquiries which came in since my departure Thursday afternoon.

We hope that everyone sending us messages understands that properly responding to each takes time (I often spend 6-7 hours a day replying to e-mail which is greatly impacting other work as well as my lower-back and neck.). There is a priority order for e-mail: First up are troubles, second are order logistics, third are quick usage and applicability questions. And tied for last are: a) the huge number of long messages with people describing their systems in detail, asking about different connection setups, or if the EtheREGEN will benefit them and how; b) dealer/importer and press inquiries (we leave so much money on the table because we can't keep up with demand).

Cordialement,

--Alex C.

Hello Alex, 

I received you email and reply here as suggested. Thank you for your concern; I wasn't wooried of you getting back to me :).

I posted here to know if fellow forumers had observed the same phenomenon and because this awesome forum must adress everything ER related, good or bad :p

I LOVE the ER, and am gobsmacked by what it brings, it honors its reputation 👍

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Abolive said:

I posted here to know if fellow forumers had observed the same phenomenon and because this awesome forum must adress everything ER related, good or bad :p

I LOVE the ER, and am gobsmacked by what it brings, it honors its reputation. 

Dear Arnaud: 

Most important is that we are so glad to know your health is recovered!

Thank you for your factual answers and for your kind words.  

We are happy that you are enjoying the EtherREGEN at last.  And we agree that all should be public--good or bad--about our products.

As indicated, so far--out of about 2,000 shipped--only yourself and one person here in the states has experienced the issue you raise. 

We look for to resolving it for you very soon.

Best,

--Alex C.

12 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

In a U.K. household the only way to access mains earth is through a three pin mains plug and socket. I don’t know how it works in other territories.

Hi Cable,

you do NOT want a separate "earth" connection, what you want is the "safety ground", the third pin on the wall outlet. Why is rather complex and I have covered it in detail in several other posts relating to leakage current.

John S.

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Hi Cable,

you do NOT want a separate "earth" connection, what you want is the "safety ground", the third pin on the wall outlet. Why is rather complex and I have covered it in detail in several other posts relating to leakage current.

John S.

John, I consider the distinction to be no more than the difference between American English and my English but thank you for the clarification. 

19 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

In a U.K. household the only way to access mains earth is through a three pin mains plug and socket. I don’t know how it works in other territories.

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@Stereophonic

You are showing a connection direct to safety ground. Third pin to wall outlet.  Answer is yes.

You should read Uptone guideline if that connection is needed in your case.

Is the Jcat powering your EtherRegen ? Anything else ?

Thank you. 
Yes. I have a Jcat Optimo Duo powering my EtherRegen. 
I didn’t find a better picture. I was talking about grounding ER to the JCat chasis ground screw... 

14596AD7-8732-4051-BE58-0C7B05AF46B6.jpeg.c8a6c4ebf59ca857e567e083f869432c.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Stereophonic said:

Thank you. 
Yes. I have a Jcat Optimo Duo powering my EtherRegen. 
I didn’t find a better picture. I was talking about grounding ER to the JCat chasis ground screw... 

14596AD7-8732-4051-BE58-0C7B05AF46B6.jpeg.c8a6c4ebf59ca857e567e083f869432c.jpeg

The Optimo duo has an earth connection at the DC output by looks of it, to connect a shield. Use that shield instead, since the DC power is referenced to that in the Optima. that way, the earth connection is short, the earth wire shown looks like an antenna to me.

Means braking open the DC connector and looping the shield to the EtherRegen.

An alternative is to run another earth cable from the Ether Regen to the same AC power distribution box as the Optima Duo.That cable  can be a standard schuko connector with only the earth connected. In that way the same potential works for the duo and the EtherRegen, and no cutting the DC cable. Would recommend the earth cable to be AWG12 or 2.5mm flexible.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

The Optimo duo has an earth connection at the DC output by looks of it, to connect a shield. Use that shield instead, since the DC power is referenced to that in the Optima. that way, the earth connection is short, the earth wire shown looks like an antenna to me.

Means braking open the DC connector and looping the shield to the EtherRegen.

An alternative is to run another earth cable from the Ether Regen to the same AC power distribution box as the Optima Duo.That cable  can be a standard schuko connector with only the earth connected. In that way the same potential works for the duo and the EtherRegen, and no cutting the DC cable. Would recommend the earth cable to be AWG12 or 2.5mm flexible.

Thank you !!! 👍🏻