IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

28 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Try vertical sitting on a dedicated 30A power socketĀ  Ā  ... mineĀ sounds great !Ā Ā 

Ā 

But you may need some powercords and interconnectsĀ around itĀ šŸ˜‚

Ā 

You might want to try some artisanal, renewable, anti-static, anti-vibration, genuine bamboo chopsticksĀ to separate your ICs from power cords (hangĀ the ICs off of them). Ā Mine work great. Ā Unfortunately, I cannot patent the idea... :) Ā Ā 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui >Ā Mola Mola Kaluga >Ā B&W 803 D3 Ā  Ā 

Cables: Ā Kubala-Sosna Ā  Ā Power management: Ā Shunyata Ā  Ā Room: Ā Vicoustics Ā 

Ā 

ā€œNature is pleased with simplicity.ā€ Ā Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed." Ā Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Already better than all same and skewed .. random like mine to effect cancellation via chaos principle gets youĀ higher sound qualityĀ šŸ˜„

Ā 

But it will cost you about 20 grands šŸ˜­

Ā 

Ā 

20210129_054214.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3BĀ (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc,Ā Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi BlueĀ Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12vĀ LPS, Uptone LPSĀ 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separateĀ digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber takĀ ag etc./Headamp Gilmore LiteĀ Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/GradoĀ FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Ā 

40 minutes ago, PYP said:

You might want to try some artisanal, renewable, anti-static, anti-vibration, genuine bamboo chopsticksĀ to separate your ICs from power cords (hangĀ the ICs off of them). Ā Mine work great. Ā Unfortunately, I cannot patent the idea... :) Ā Ā 

Ā 

Will not dare try but if you ever visits Singapore to help me to do so, 1 barrel of tiger beer draught on me šŸ™šŸ™

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3BĀ (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc,Ā Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi BlueĀ Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12vĀ LPS, Uptone LPSĀ 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separateĀ digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber takĀ ag etc./Headamp Gilmore LiteĀ Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/GradoĀ FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Ā 

On 1/25/2021 at 5:42 PM, Superdad said:

In the 14 months of shipping EtherREGEN you are the third person to report exactly that problem when using ourĀ 

switch with an LG OLED television. Ā We can only conclude that there is something odd about the way the LG network connection works and someĀ incompatibility between it and theĀ EtherREGEN.

Ā 

It is extremely rare to find a documented case of true incompatibilityā€”as EtherREGEN pretty much functions as a normal unmanaged switch. Yet it seems you have encounter one of the few. I recall that the other two people found simple workaroundā€”allowing them to keep the LG TV upstream of the EtherREGENā€”of first attaching the LG to a small cheap switch and feeding that into one of the ā€˜Aā€™ side ports. Iā€™m not sure if that cheap switch needs to be 100Mbps or if it can be a Gigabit-capable switch.

Thank you for your answer.Ā 
My unit was bought in April by my dealer.Ā 
Could it be i need to upgrade EtherRegen to latest firmware?

Regards

1 hour ago, Stereophonic said:

Thank you for your answer.Ā 
My unit was bought in April by my dealer.Ā 
Could it be i need to upgrade EtherRegen to latest firmware?

Ā 

I did reply via e-mail to your message last week--with the same information posted here--but the e-mail address you gave failed and the message come back to us.

Ā 

No, the issue you have with LG OLED TV is not something that can be fixed with firmware. Especially since we do not know what causes it and it seems unique to LG OLED TVs. Ā Sorry about that.

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Ā 

I did reply via e-mail to your message last week--with the same information posted here--but the e-mail address you gave failed and the message come back to us.

Ā 

No, the issue you have with LG OLED TV is not something that can be fixed with firmware. Especially since we do not know what causes it and it seems unique to LG OLED TVs. Ā Sorry about that.

Thank you for your quick reply...šŸ‘šŸ»

I previously asked whether I can power my ER with the same JS-2 that powers my DAC. @Superdad kindly made it clear that the answer is a qualified "yes". The qualification was that it can only be done if I swap the ER A and B side connections to the opposite sides. And since I've got more than one device connecting to the A side, I elected not to do that. But here is a possibly related question. If I understood electronics better, I'd not need to ask. But I don't. So...

Ā 

Is it possible to power an external clock - which is in turn connected to my ER - with my JS-2, which itself is also powering my DAC? And if so, does that too mandate a swap of ER A and B connections?

Ā 

Thanks in advance. :-)

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbieā€™s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2ā€™s (no stock PSā€™s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

42 minutes ago, scolley said:

Is it possible to power an external clock - which is in turn connected to my ER - with my JS-2, which itself is also powering my DAC? And if so, does that too mandate a swap of ER A and B connections?

Ā 

No problem with that! Ā The EtherREGEN's clock input BNC is in the 'B' side power/"ground" domain--and your DAC is also i the downstream 'B' side domain. So no problem charing a JS-2 between those.Ā :D

Thanks @superdad! :-)

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbieā€™s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2ā€™s (no stock PSā€™s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Ā 

I plan to get the Etherregen. Also, i plan to get a netowork switch with SFP port to connect it to the Etherregen via fiber optic cable. Will this network switch work with Etherregen via fiber connection? (Switch = Ubiquiti ES-16-150w).

Note: I live in the Philippines so there isn't that much options here.Ā 

Ā 

This is the switch:

Ā 

https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-edgemax-switches/products/edgeswitch-16-150w

Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

Will this network switch work with Etherregen via fiber connection? (Switch = Ubiquiti ES-16-150w).

https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-edgemax-switches/products/edgeswitch-16-150w

Ā 

That one will work fine. Just be sure to order a matched set of two 1 Gigabit SFP transceivers and fiber optic cable with LC plugs. Single-mode or multi-mode will work--as long as all 3 pieces (the two transceiver modules and the fiber cable) are the same type.

@superdad - thanks for the prompt reply.

Ā 

I found another switch (Linksys LGS318P) which might be better since it has a 40mm fan which i can replace with a noctua silent fan. (the ubiquiti es-16-150w has 30mm fan which is hard to replace as noctua doesn't make 30mm fans)

Ā 

Just to double check, will this work with the Etherregen as well: Linksys LGS318P (https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-LGS318P/)

Ā 

My main objective is to get a 16 port switch with POE/SFP and as silent as possible which will work with the Etherregen via fiber optic cables.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks.Ā 

Is 12.9v into Etherregen OK?

Ā 

I'm using my Etherregen with the supplied smps and would like to remove the smps and use my HDPlex 100w Lpsu.

Ā 

The HDPlex the following outputs,Ā Ā 5v, variable 5-19v, 12 & 19v.

Currently I use the variable (5-19v) set at 9v for my LPS1 and the 19v for myĀ NUC Win10 endpoint. I do not use the 5v outputs.

Ā 

The 12v output measures at 12.9v. Would this be ok for the Etherregen or could I use this (12.9v) for the LPS1 and use the variable output for the Etherregen.

Ā 

Many thanks

Ā 

Ā 

30 minutes ago, denniswaugh said:

would like to remove the smps and use my HDPlex 100w Lpsu.

Hi Dennis:

Ā 

I am sorry, but your indication that you have an early HDPLEX 100W unit sends up all sorts of red flags for us. Ā That earlier model is widely known to not have reliable over voltage protections--especially with the variable output. Not only are the there many reports of that supply damaging gear from voltage spikes or other incidents, but we had a lot of first-hand experience with original UltraCap LPS-1 users having a input/charging regulator fried by an HDPLEX 100W (LPS-1 was not tolerant of spikes above 15V--and we could identify such as the cause of failure by a nice hole blown in that one part).

Ā 

So while it is possible--but not at all advisable--to run your EtherREGEN from 12.9V, we request that you absolutely do not do so with that HDPLEX 100W supply. To be blunt, we can not honor your EtherREGEN warranty if you do so.

In addition, we adviseĀ that you discontinue use of the HDPLEX as the "energizing"/charging supply for your original LPS-1.

Ā 

Sorry to be alarmist, but all the above is factual and fairly widely reported.

Thanks for understanding,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Thank youĀ for the swift reply.

Ā 

I'll consider myself to have been lucky to have not suffered a catastrophe with the LPS1.

Ā 

After reading your reply, I'veĀ spent some time looking up HDPlex problems on this forum and came across references to serious issues with certain models from this manufacturer. Ā 

Ā 

In light of this I have stopped usingĀ the HDPlex to supply the LPS1 and have re installed the original meanwell smps.

I'll continue to use the supplied smps with the Etherregen and look at a suitable lps (probably not HDPlex) for the LPS1 and Etherregen.Ā 

Ā 

Your advice has been very much appreciated.

Ā 

Many thanks.

Dennis

Ā 

Ā 

I have the EtherREGEN on order. Ā I currently have a 10m stretch of Cat8 cable from my Cisco switch to an SOtM sms200 Neo Ultra. Ā I intend to locate the EtherREGEN just before the SOtM. Ā 
I am interested in trying optical cable to feed the EtherREGEN. I note that my Cisco switch has an optical connection next to the Ethernet inputs. Ā Is it possible to go straight from that optical input on the Cisco (using a connector fibre module at each end) to the EtherREGEN? Ā I note that some people have a Sonore Optical Module next to their network switch but if it is possible to go direct from the switch why would you need this?

Thanks for any advice or answers you can give.Ā 

@DuckworpĀ Yes, if your Cisco switch has optical fiber or SFP port, you can connect directly to the EtherREGEN.

Ā 

Not all switches have optical fiber so thatā€™s why some get the Sonore optical module or equivalent fiber media converter. Ā Though, I understand there may be other benefits with the Sonore Optical Module as Mr. Swenson contributed to its design.

Ā 

Iā€™ve been thinking lately to get a 2nd ER to consolidate components.

@DuckworpĀ you could do what you describe with the fiber cable.
Ā 

There is a lot of info re: fiber on adjacent Uptone thread too, but in summary, be sure to "match" the wavelength frequency of your SFPs and cable.

Ā 

You need to also be consistent with Single Mode (SM) orĀ Multimode (MM) transceiver (SFP) and cable type. All three "components" should share those attributes.

Ā 

Additionally, it has been noted by others more knowledgeable than myself, that you need to use Cisco or Cisco compatible SFPs due to an ID the Cisco device expects to "read" for the handshake.

Ā 

I successfully used a Cisco compatible (not Cisco branded) SFP in a 2960 switch. If you follow the general guidance above it should be straight forward to make that copperĀ run of yours fiber-based.Ā 
Ā 

There are folks here thatĀ can help if you get into Cisco issues, but I did not "manage" my switch; it was just plug and play. Good Luck!

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Ā 

10 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

@DuckworpĀ you could do what you describe with the fiber cable.
Ā 

There is a lot of info re: fiber on adjacent Uptone thread too, but in summary, be sure to "match" the wavelength frequency of your SFPs and cable.

Ā 

You need to also be consistent with Single Mode (SM) orĀ Multimode (MM) transceiver (SFP) and cable type. All three "components" should share those attributes.

Ā 

Additionally, it has been noted by others more knowledgeable than myself, that you need to use Cisco or Cisco compatible SFPs due to an ID the Cisco device expects to "read" for the handshake.

Ā 

I successfully used a Cisco compatible (not Cisco branded) SFP in a 2960 switch. If you follow the general guidance above it should be straight forward to make that copperĀ run of yours fiber-based.Ā 
Ā 

There are folks here thatĀ can help if you get into Cisco issues, but I did not "manage" my switch; it was just plug and play. Good Luck!

Ā 

I plan to get a switch with SFP too to connect to my etherregen. However, when i read the manual, it says the SFP ports are for "uplink". Does this mean that it can only connect to another switch and not the etherregen if the SFP is for "uplink" ?Ā 

4 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

Ā 

I plan to get a switch with SFP too to connect to my etherregen. However, when i read the manual, it says the SFP ports are for "uplink". Does this mean that it can only connect to another switch and not the etherregen if the SFP is for "uplink" ?Ā 

Nope, not typically. I have the 'uplink' fiber outs on my Cisco 2960-16PS going to a pair of opticalModules from one, and a GTek FMC for the office hifi on another. With older 10/100Ā Cisco's at least, the ethernet uplink is 1000 and could be used as such to or from anything. If using a fiber uplink, be sure to have the same spec SFP's on both ends.Ā 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM:Ā Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>NaimĀ DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.Ā OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSGĀ ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.Ā 

5 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Nope, not typically. I have the 'uplink' fiber outs on my Cisco 2960-16PS going to a pair of opticalModules from one, and a GTek FMC for the office hifi on another. With older 10/100Ā Cisco's at least, the ethernet uplink is 1000 and could be used as such to or from anything. If using a fiber uplink, be sure to have the same spec SFP's on both ends.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks. So why do they mark it as uplink? What is the difference between an uplink port and a normal port if both can be connected to another switch or directly to a PC or streamer or etc? thanks