IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Try replacing the main PSU electrolytic capacitors in it's PSU. After 30 years they are likely to have a high ESR and markedly reduced capacitance

No, this was something it had from brand new - leave it sitting awhile, and the SQ was lost. We heard in the music store, where it was running in demo mode all day, etc - so knew what it sounded like when fully warmed. Of course, most people loved to have these sort of instruments for all the effects, and the zillion things you can do with them - artificial waveforms don't have to "sound right", to be impressive 😉. There was an equivalent Roland in the shop - and it just didn't sound as good ...

In more modern examples they've got the engineering better, of course - far less of an issue, now.

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I just thought this was worth quoting.  Or maybe it should be the new masthead for the whole web site.

If anybody said the same to you in the threads that you start you would quickly remove them .

You are a Hypocrite .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

21 hours ago, fas42 said:

Teresa, what happens is that the microphones pick up all the sounds that our brains use to identify what the nature is of what we're hearing; all the subtle clues that go with live music making. But in normal quality playback these are so damaged that our minds can't unravel what's going on - "It sounds a mess!". Higher quality replay shines the light on what's there strongly enough - and our brains can separate what it 'knows' belongs to the music, from everything else.

Audiophile recordings, IME, are sometimes too obviously manipulated, and are 'too simple' - the richness of sound textures is lacking, which makes them less satisfying, compared to other recordings.

"Old Yamaha CD players" ... ? I would put the original unit, which I still have, against most current replay chains - assuming it had been nicely warmed up, etc - and it would knock them off the perch with ease. You see, what it had in spades was 'musicality', smoothness - this is so "vinyl sounding", it's scary ... 😜.

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Bullshit, Frank! You have no idea what you are talking about! “Audiophile recordings are sometimes too obviously manipulated and are ‘too simple’” ????!!! Where do you get this stuff? What’s your definition of “too simple”? Many so-called “Audiophile recordings” are made with only TWO microphones. It can’t get any simpler than that without being mono. And yet, such recordings can be the most accurate and realistic sounding that can be made. These recordings are not manipulated AT ALL! If you prefer multi-miked, multi-channel recordings to simple, honest stereo recordings, then I have to say that you have obviously either never been to a live classical concert, or you had no idea what you were hearing when you were attending such a concert!

We must assume, Frank, that your idea of what constitutes good sound, and what many of the rest of us consider good sound are galaxies apart! I had a Yamaha CD player once, and it was, like it’s contemporaries, mediocre sounding. Of course, I didn’t solder it to my amplifier, so maybe that accounts for why my perception of the Yamaha’s sound and yours differs so. 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

Interesting discussion but they are not so easy as it seems. Frank likes sound with a lots of reverbs and George believes only two microphones needed. I have another thread to discuss this. Please continue there. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Or maybe it should be the new masthead for the whole web site.

ST

This is the part that I take exception to.

This kind of remark would not be permitted in his own threads and would be quickly removed as off topic (Unless he agreed with it.)

It should also be removed in your threads too if you wish to keep the thread on topic as you claim.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

ST

This kind of remark would not be permitted in his own threads and would be quickly removed as off topic (Unless he agreed with it.)

It should also be removed in your threads too if you wish to keep the thread on topic as you claim.

Do you deny extraordinary over-posting of the same thing over & over by Frank?

If so why?

If not, why nut?

and no name-calling

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Do you deny extraordinary over-posting of the same thing over & over by Frank?

If so why?

If not, why nut?

and no name-calling

No more than I deny the same kind of thread destruction over and over by yourself and several others in virtually every Subjective based thread.

ST

Please use your OP privileges and clean up all this off topic crap .

All it will result in if left,  is far fewer members and visitors  bothering to read or participate in your threads.

Alex

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

what you call "thread destruction" is actually known as "reality"

It's also Fake News.

Subjectivists and "Subjective based threads" are not endangered species on this site despite Alex's tendency to Cry Dingo.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Because otherwise he'd have to admit being guilty of the same offense.

But in all fairness to our Much Maligned Friend From Down Under, he has toned things down in recent months.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

ST

I would have but then you also responded to it.  So I thought you guys were even...  Please click OT so that I can identify those needed to be removed if necessary. 

29 minutes ago, STC said:

I would have but then you also responded to it.  So I thought you guys were even...  Please click OT so that I can identify those needed to be removed if necessary. 

There wouldn't be any need to get even. if there weren't incessant attacks on below the Equator members by Ralf 11 and the self proclaimed Troll especially.  Even one and a half cops the same kind of shit and he is well qualified in the A.C. power transmission area. 

Perhaps this is why he hasn't posted here recently too ?

We both know where he went to,  to get away from some of it .¬¬

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

This doesn't have to be the case . Yes, the HFE of a transistor increases with temperature to a certain degree, but it is quite possible to overcome this problem with careful design using the temperature coefficient of a Silicon diode or another additional transistor in the current mirror area of a Solid State Class A amplifier as I have done with my 15W/Ch. (in full Class A) DIY Amplifier.

It tracks and compensates for the changes immediately after switch on and is completely stable in SQ within several minutes

No not all gear will benefit from been turn on for a while before the listening session begins. I said that gear that gets considerably warmer after a couple of hours can benefit from warming-up.

6 hours ago, tapatrick said:

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: I used to love this forum, coming here on a daily basis and learning about and sharing interesting developments and discoveries. However his endless bickering with the same characters, across multiple threads is killing it for me and I'm sure many others. I am coming here less and less and am finding other places to discover and share.... Good luck amigos... everyone knows where this kind of stuff always ends..

I still think that it worth to come back here and read about exciting developments and discoveries like @austinpop last review for example. Sure some people seems to have a rather low s/n rate, or appears like they have wake up on the wrong side of the bed, every day, but please don’t forget about all the good stuff and good people that are here as well.