IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

43 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

Seriously Frank, your laptop cannot compete in any sense of the term "system". It could not fill a ample sized room with any amount of decent sound that would be inspiring. As well, most very high end systems that are very true to the source sound very good with very good recordings, or crap with crap recordings. They cannot and will not make a silk purse from a sows arse. Their purpose is to be faithful to the recording. The laptop is a POS, and always will be for playback. You talk A LOT, about nothing, for the purpose of hearing yourself talk.

A system is :

The room

Treatments

Very good speakers

Room correction

Well engineered components that mate well and match the application. 

Properly constructed interconnects and cables. No need for snake oil garbage.

Bit perfect output on a dedicated PC.

MAK

And where have you come from, son ... ? This has nothing whatsoever to do with a laptop ...

Oh dear ...

As well, most very high end systems that are very true to the source sound very good with very good recordings, or crap with crap recordings

Most audiophiles are trapped in this mindset - which is why real progress in the audio world is sooo slow ... who knows, it could take a 100 😊 years before it extricates itself from the swamp ... in the meantime, have lots of fun playing the bling game - quick, who's got the most impressive looking rig?! 😜

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Oh dear ...

Most audiophiles are trapped in this mindset - which is why real progress in the audio world is sooo slow ... who knows, it could take a 100 😊 years before it extricates itself from the swamp ... in the meantime, have lots of fun playing the bling game - quick, who's got the most impressive looking rig?! 😜

It is goIng to take a while. Hallucinogen is illegal in most places. Things are improving. Most will catch up with you. 

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

But speakers are among the few components where price truly is the measure of quality. The best, most accurate speakers are EXPENSIVE, there's no getting around it. The MG30.3 Magneplanars are not only Magnepan's most expensive, they're the company's best. The ML NeoLith is the most expensive ML at US$70K+, and is arguably their best (although a CLX system with a couple of ML Subs at around US$30K is probably just as good).

Unfortunately, no matter what you do with your mid-fi gear all soldered together and modified, it cannot make-up for the undeniable fact that your pair of Boom-Box speakers out of a ghetto blaster cannot be very good and certainly can't make the rest of your chain live up to its potential, even as limited as it is!

George, I started with a high a high end CDP, and high end amplifier, and bottom of the range bookshelfs - and got magic sound. Then went out and listened a huge range of gear, many using very expensive speakers - and they all sounded rather pooey. In fact, the more expensive the speakers were, quite often the pooier they sounded  ... now, I have tickets on myself that I'm a kinda logical sort of guy; so I could easily have said, the more expensive the speakers, the worst the sound - but i went a step further, and thought, maybe the expensiveness just is more revealing of the lacking of the chain driving them ... and strangely enough, that concept has worked ever since ... 😊.

Speakers are used an excuse for sub-par sound, without hesitation in most circles - it takes a bit of experimenting to work it out, but it it turns out very ordinary drivers have no trouble revealing problems earlier in the chain - so the latter is sorted out first.

42 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

He obviously doesn't know how foolish he looks. If he did, he wouldn't post the same nonsense on forum after forum ad infinitum, ad nauseam. 

And I see, and hear the 'foolishness' of people chasing better sound by ignoring the basics, and fantasising how some piece of kit even more dressed up than the one they currently own, will "magically" bring them The Promised Land ... 😉.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

George, I started with a high a high end CDP, and high end amplifier, and bottom of the range bookshelfs - and got magic sound. Then went out and listened a huge range of gear, many using very expensive speakers - and they all sounded rather pooey. In fact, the more expensive the speakers were, quite often the pooier they sounded  ... now, I have tickets on myself that I'm a kinda logical sort of guy; so I could easily have said, the more expensive the speakers, the worst the sound - but i went a step further, and thought, maybe the expensiveness just is more revealing of the lacking of the chain driving them ... and strangely enough, that concept has worked ever since ... 😊.

Speakers are used an excuse for sub-par sound, without hesitation in most circles - it takes a bit of experimenting to work it out, but it it turns out very ordinary drivers have no trouble revealing problems earlier in the chain - so the latter is sorted out first.

Frank;

You are wrong. Certainly not every speaker(regardless of price) is going to suit everybody, and, again, no speaker is perfect, But in my experience speakers like the Radialshtaller 101 sound better than the Rogers LS3/5a, Soundlab’s flagship sounds more like real music than does any Polk speaker I’ve heard, and Manepans sound better than their cone-based  contemporaries - to me!

George

58 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And I see, and hear the 'foolishness' of people chasing better sound by ignoring the basics, and fantasising how some piece of kit even more dressed up than the one they currently own, will "magically" bring them The Promised Land ... 😉.

Well, that’s an extreme viewpoint. One starts with good equipment (and that doesn’t necessarily mean the most expensive) and mixes and matches components to work well with one another. Then, one uses best practices to connect he equipment together (no, not soldering them together), and treats one’s room for best sound. No, you cannot just buy a bunch of expensive components and haphazardly throw them together and expect the best sound. But you do have to pick good equipment and use knowledge and good sense to get the best out of it! No matter what you do, starting with mediocre or worse components will never give you anything better than mediocre sound.

George

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Frank, read more. Post less. People may actually start listening to you.

Nope. Audiophiles like George are completely locked into a viewpoint which they will hang onto until the day they die - they were like this 35 years ago, and they have been the same each decade since. And every now and again I hear a system of one of these people, and it's full blown eye-rollin' time - I don't know where to start; so many cylinders misfiring ... and it would get mighty heated if I ventured some thoughts on the matter; they know they have a Good System - and that's that! 😜

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Nope. Audiophiles like George are completely locked into a viewpoint which they will hang onto until the day they die - they were like this 35 years ago, and they have been the same each decade since. And every now and again I hear a system of one of these people, and it's full blown eye-rollin' time - I don't know where to start; so many cylinders misfiring ... and it would get mighty heated if I ventured some thoughts on the matter; they know they have a Good System - and that's that! 😜

It is better for you to report your own post to be removed as I don’t see the relevance in your reply to George’s post. 

This thread will only come back on topic if the OP wants it too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020