IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

4 hours ago, ddetaey said:

What is than the technical explanation for that? Am I just listening to noise, which makes for a more 'enjoyable' (not necesarilly correct) soundstage?

And how as a non-technical user, can we know for sure about this.  E.g. T+A is recommending 'Wide' choice for everything equal or above DSD128 , if one's amplifier supports it. 

Likely it has more to do with analog filter phase response. Noise is noise, if you hear it you hear hiss (with HQPlayer).

You can as well follow the T+A recommendation. My recommendation is based purely on evaluation and balancing of objective figures. If your amplifiers don't have much high frequency IM challenges and if your loudspeakers don't become short-circuit at high frequencies (Apogee full band ribbons and some electrostatic speakers), you are fine with any combination and can select what sounds best to you.

Roughly, amount of noise in the output is same when you use fifth order modulator + wide analog filter, or seventh order modulator + clean analog filter. This is also similar with AKM DAC chips filter selection between 50 kHz and 150 kHz. With RME ADI-2 Pro I'm using ASDM7(EC) and 150 kHz setting to Schiit Jotunheim + Sennheiser HD800. While on DAC8 DSD I have analog filter set to clean. So I'm not always following my own recommendations (again, my ears vs my measurement gear).

Anyway, given above, it is easy to switch between the two analog filters and compare. If you don't notice difference, select clean or 50 kHz, if you hear positive difference and don't have technical concerns select the one that sounds better.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 8/24/2019 at 3:49 PM, Miska said:

OK, I have a solution...

I have updated the image and now on my i7-8086K it works perfectly fine with Tidal source and poly-sinc-xtr + ASDM7EC to DSD256.

Please redownload!

Seems like a game changer. With the new image my 6700k will now play all filters except Closed-Form 16 M to DSD256 with the ASDM7EC modulator without stuttering. 

Saves me me a lot of money!

On 8/24/2019 at 4:49 PM, Miska said:

OK, I have a solution...

I have updated the image and now on my i7-8086K it works perfectly fine with Tidal source and poly-sinc-xtr + ASDM7EC to DSD256.

Please redownload!

Actually, for my doom, I was able to play almost a whole 44 track @128 ext2/ASDM7EC full convo... OMG...

thought I could use ext2 with sources up to 192 @ 128 with DSD5EC but it's not a reliable choice

Nevertheless latest 4.11.2 is a huge step in usability and SQ is better than ever

I just got a license for HQP embedded, and am ready to build something to enable playback of DSD256 with EC. Something along the lines of:

case    Cooler Master Elite 110
mobo    ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
cpu    Intel Core i7-7900K (TDP 95W)
cooling    stock?
memory    16GB RAM 2x8
PSU internal    HDPlex 250W ATX PSU (accepts 19V)
PSU external    HDPlex 100W LPSU 19V + 12V

Would this be a good idea?

Will the HDPlex 100W LPSU be able to cope?

(I am planning to use a separate 12V rail for the CPU.)

audio system

i9-9900K playing DXD to DSD256 for a few hours.

Running Roon Server also.

Ubuntu Server 18.04.3 LTS with low-latency hwe kernel

image.png.1befd32aea3c478e7aebf28d290cab19.png

411372454_ScreenShot2019-08-29at9_31_14pm.png.8278fd87845ce1954d46a8dc3101f444.png

Never seen any Core go above 60 deg C

image.png.32fc2587e3a7ceee249575ae3bf5bc32.png

Most importantly, no stuttering while listening and sounds great!

49 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

image.png.1befd32aea3c478e7aebf28d290cab19.png

411372454_ScreenShot2019-08-29at9_31_14pm.png.8278fd87845ce1954d46a8dc3101f444.png

Never seen any Core go above 60 deg C

image.png.32fc2587e3a7ceee249575ae3bf5bc32.png

How is it with Closed-Form 16M? I’d love to know...

4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I just got a license for HQP embedded, and am ready to build something to enable playback of DSD256 with EC. Something along the lines of:

case    Cooler Master Elite 110
mobo    ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
cpu    Intel Core i7-7900K (TDP 95W)
cooling    stock?
memory    16GB RAM 2x8
PSU internal    HDPlex 250W ATX PSU (accepts 19V)
PSU external    HDPlex 100W LPSU 19V + 12V

Would this be a good idea?

Will the HDPlex 100W LPSU be able to cope?

(I am planning to use a separate 12V rail for the CPU.)

There is no stock cooler included.

I'm using a noctua D15s. 

Big, heavy, expensive and probably overkill 

But one of the better air coolers around

23 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Yep I'd expect that too.

I didn't expect the 9900K to do it all on it's own though, especially with EC modulator at DSD256 and using built-in GPU...

I wondered whether it would, as that would be the only current incentive for me to upgrade to a 9900K from my 6700K at present, so that I can use HQP OS to do Closed-Form 16M rather than install Ubuntu. I'll stick with my current hardware until the next generation of processors, which I'm hoping might do DSD512(!) with ADSM7EC, as judging by files produced by HQPLayer Pro, 512 is distinctly (even) better than 256 with the T&A DAC 8 DSD playing EC modulators.

3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

........................................................................................

Cool, literally and figuratively.  But will it do it in multichannel?  🙄

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

19 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I used this calculator

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Enter your configuration, and then check the 12V current.  That's the main concern.

100W sounds low, I think my PC wanted a 400W supply and I went 750W.

Randy

Thanks, that is a handy tool. It shows that I would need 239W.

I would use this machine only as a server with HQP OS or AudioLinux with HQP embedded, sending the DSD256 files to a minimal fanless NAA PC in the audio room over fiber ethernet.

Would a linear PSU make much difference in that case, SQ wise? 

audio system

26 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks, that is a handy tool. It shows that I would need 239W.

I would use this machine only as a server with HQP OS or AudioLinux with HQP embedded, sending the DSD256 files to a minimal fanless NAA PC in the audio room over fiber ethernet.

Would a linear PSU make much difference in that case, SQ wise? 

I went with a "standard" PC type supply, a Cosair, so I didn't think so.

I'm using a pi2 for my naa, and am working on a fancy PS for the pi stack.

But I am certainly not qualified to answer your question, this is my first crack at hqplayer.  

I have built PC's, so I know something on that front.

EDIT:  Another reason to oversize the PS is in case we find we need a graphics card later to run cuda.  Right now it seems as though a 9700k can do without the help, but who knows what future changes are out there.