IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

10 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Do you use hyperthreading?

Related to this, I disabled multi threading on my 2 cores nuc and HQPe maxes on 1 core, when turning multi threading back on it uses both cores, I'm running AL. 

If you guys turn on multi threading does HQPe uses all the cores available? (not the threads of course) physical cores I mean. 

6 hours ago, luisma said:

Related to this, I disabled multi threading on my 2 cores nuc and HQPe maxes on 1 core, when turning multi threading back on it uses both cores, I'm running AL. 

If you guys turn on multi threading does HQPe uses all the cores available? (not the threads of course) physical cores I mean. 

Do not turn off threading in the CPU. HQPlayer understands CPU topology and knows how to hook onto real cores and can also utilize threads. I was just yesterday optimizing dual-core CPU case processor allocation and by using cores and siblings (threads) on my old 5th gen i5 NUC that is dual-core with threading, I managed to keep CPU load at 70+70+50+50 for DSD256 output case (without threads it is 90+90 and more sensitive to drop-outs). This optimization is coming first to next HQPlayer Embedded release. Until then, on threaded dual-core CPUs, keep HT enabled and set Multicore DSP to enabled (checked) and you get a slightly similar behavior. 

Even if HQPlayer doesn't seemingly put load on the threads, some low load threads are still there, and especially OS can place other processes there, instead of the already high loaded ones. Threading cuts the OS context switching needs to half - the overall performance impact is not big, but it is still there.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to build a server using a Streacom db4 case and have the option of both a i9 9000k (95w tdp) or an i9 9000 non k (65w tdp). 

The difference between the two seems to be the base clock speed : 3.6ghz vs 3.1 ghz

Given the passive nature of the cooling is the lower tdp cpu a safer bet or would there be too much of a hit in performance? 

My aim is to upsample to dsd 256 using the EC modulators, would both of these be able to do that or is clearly the better choice? 

This might not be a straight forward question to answer but I felt this was the best place to ask it. 

2 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

I'm about to build a server using a Streacom db4 case and have the option of both a i9 9000k (95w tdp) or an i9 9000 non k (65w tdp). 

The difference between the two seems to be the base clock speed : 3.6ghz vs 3.1 ghz

Given the passive nature of the cooling is the lower tdp cpu a safer bet or would there be too much of a hit in performance? 

My aim is to upsample to dsd 256 using the EC modulators, would both of these be able to do that or is clearly the better choice? 

This might not be a straight forward question to answer but I felt this was the best place to ask it. 

I would certainly go for the K-model. The case should be capable of dealing with the higher TDP, and the final TDP figure depends on the actual load anyway.

3 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

Look for better passive cooling on soldered CPUs: Solder Thermal Interface Material (STIM), a solder material for thermal surfaces. For example, the i9-9900K (TDP 95W) has STIM, i9-9900 (TDP 65W) not.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, randytsuch said:

With my i7 9700k pc, can get 5ec at 256 with no problems, but when I try 7ec it stutters.  

Running buster 10.1 with 4.11.2-36.  No graphics card so no cuda offload

Any tricks to get 7ec?  Thinking about trying to overclock, I feel like its really close to working.

Just in case: I assume you have turbo boost & hyperthreading enabled in BIOS?

Here 7EC plays stutterless with the exact same CPU without overclocking or CUDA offload.

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Just in case: I assume you have turbo boost & hyperthreading enabled in BIOS?

Here 7EC plays stutterless with the exact same CPU without overclocking or CUDA offload.

Turbo boost on.  Was looking at cpu frequency last night

With both 5ec and 7ec, max was around 4.8 GHz.  I never see it get close to 4.9.

Using top to check load, I see around 215% for 5ec and 240% for 7ec.  For 7ec there is less variance, looks likes it something is pegged and can't go higher.  For 5ec, varies about +/-5%.

All filters are poly sinc ext2

I think hyperthreading is enabled, not sure what gigabyte calls it.

Will play with bios settings to see if it helps

I have an i7 8700 (without K or T). With HQPlayer embedded on Euphony DSD256, poly-sinc-ext2 and EC7 is not possible. DSD256 and EC5 works 'sometimes'. Of course HT and Turbo Boost are enabled. Speed is about 4.3 GHz.

With HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows Server 2019 in core mode on the same machine DSD256, poly-sinc-ext2 and EC7 is possible. The problem (to me) is the HQPlayer 4 Desktop is a trial version. I have purchased the embedded version.. lol. I still want to give HQPlayer embedded on Audiolinux on the same machine a try before making a decision about purchasing HQPlayer 4 Desktop and remaining with the Windows installation.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

46 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I think hyperthreading is enabled

There's no hyperthreading on the i7-9700K.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

There's no hyperthreading on the i7-9700K.

I guess that's why I couldn't find it lol.

1 hour ago, Holzohr said:

I have an i7 8700 (without K or T). With HQPlayer embedded on Euphony DSD256, poly-sinc-ext2 and EC7 is not possible. DSD256 and EC5 works 'sometimes'. Of course HT and Turbo Boost are enabled. Speed is about 4.3 GHz.

With HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows Server 2019 in core mode on the same machine DSD256, poly-sinc-ext2 and EC7 is possible. The problem (to me) is the HQPlayer 4 Desktop is a trial version. I have purchased the embedded version.. lol. I still want to give HQPlayer embedded on Audiolinux on the same machine a try before making a decision about purchasing HQPlayer 4 Desktop and remaining with the Windows installation.

Strange that it works with Server 2019 but not embedded.

Surprised and encouraged that the non k version can run ec7 dsd256 on any os.

Was expecting embedded to be at least as good as the desktop version.

No idea if Euphony has any effect.  

Randy

1 hour ago, randytsuch said:

Strange that it works with Server 2019 but not embedded.

Surprised and encouraged that the non k version can run ec7 dsd256 on any os.

Was expecting embedded to be at least as good as the desktop version.

No idea if Euphony has any effect.  

I wonder which of the Embedded builds you are using...

23 hours ago, Miska said:

If you want to compare or have a ballpark for Embedded, boot up the HQPlayer OS image and see how it performs.

Reduces amount of possible variables to one known software setup.

Seems to be working, I didn't hear dropouts but I'll listen more tonight and tomorrow.

I can run the HQP OS, but have a couple questions.

How do I connect to a network drive?  I can setup in ubuntu using samba and editing fstab to connect to my drives, which are connected to my router.  But from what I remember, hqp os is locked down so can't make many changes.

Is there a way to remotely shutdown?  Not a big deal, but would be nice if I could power down without pushing the power button.

Randy

3 hours ago, randytsuch said:

Seems to be working, I didn't hear dropouts but I'll listen more tonight and tomorrow.

I can run the HQP OS, but have a couple questions.

How do I connect to a network drive?  I can setup in ubuntu using samba and editing fstab to connect to my drives, which are connected to my router.  But from what I remember, hqp os is locked down so can't make many changes.

Is there a way to remotely shutdown?  Not a big deal, but would be nice if I could power down without pushing the power button.

Randy

NVM about the network drive question.  I found that nano works and I could edit fstab and connect to my network drive.  My biggest problem is I had to figure out I needed to reset before I could add the drive to the library.

HQP OS seems to be fine at 7ec, but it stopped playing last night.

Realized it was in trial mode, but I thought I had entered the license file.

Tried again tonight, then figured out my fingerprint had changed so the license file didn't work.

Since the pc was the same, I thought the fingerprint would not change, guess not.

So pretty likely I'll send a request for a new license file to match the fingerprint for my pc running hqp os.  In my setup, I don't see any problems running hqp os.

Wondering if I decided to try debian or fedora, would the fingerprint change again?

Randy

Tried again tonight, then figured out my fingerprint had changed so the license file didn't work.

Since the pc was the same, I thought the fingerprint would not change, guess not.

If you add or remove network interfaces (or change CPU or motherboard), it'll cause fingerprint to change. Otherwise it shouldn't...

Wondering if I decided to try debian or fedora, would the fingerprint change again?

It is possible, but unlikely. But sometimes it may happen due to some driver. But booting HQPlayer OS again for example restores the original one, so it doesn't hurt trying either.