IGNORED

ALLO Shanti Power Supply

41 minutes ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but I don't think this would be a sonic improvement in my setup with Digione Sig+Audiophile Pi.

Just curious, because I’ve read references a couple of times on various forums.

What is an “Audiophile Pi”, and how is it different to a bog standard Pi?

4 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Thank you for the info. Looks like Sparkler made a nice workaround to make their DAC compatible with multiple types of Inputs.

It would probably work great with sources that have a high quality i2s output (can't say that about the RPi), take their S507 for instance. However, I'd much rather have the conversion unit built with proper power delivery and ample space inside the DAC compared to say, a small adapter on the digital cable.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but I don't think this would be a sonic improvement in my setup with Digione Sig+Audiophile Pi.

Interesting that the description of the new S512 is not DAC but DA processor.

AFAIK, the conversion units are powered from the main unit.

Would be nice to compare S512 to S504.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I run my USBS+ADS stack from a Cuinas Audio Supercapacitor dual +5V supply. Curiously, because the two outputs are wired in parallel, it negates the galvanic isolation between the “clean” and “dirty” sides; however it drives my Naim DAC exceedingly well!

I think that John now has an upgraded version with isolated +5V outputs aimed at the ADS (which I haven’t tried). He has a test version doing the rounds in the UK - if you are interested, then the Pink Fish forum is the place to look (the thread is called something like “Supercapacitor PSU grand tour”. Around 200 euros, same ball park as the Shanti (which I really must grab some time and compare).

Somebody compared the Shanti with the Sbooster 5v, 3A ? Ps
prices in the EU are approx €299,00 for the Sbooster.

curious the hear.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 8:05 AM, ambre said:

Somebody compared the Shanti with the Sbooster 5v, 3A ? Ps
prices in the EU are approx €299,00 for the Sbooster.

curious the hear.

I picked up my Shanti today, and I have both the first and the second SBooster so I will compare them after some days of use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now what can I say after some 200 hrs break in. It's just extremely good in every way. Ultrasmooth, quiet, clean, gives a black background with very good 3D feeling. It actually took about 200 hrs for it to break in, and before that it could be a little frustrating because it could be a little nervous sounding in the upper frequencies. But when it settled it did that for good. Now it is so entertaining Iistening to the USBridge / DigiOne Signature. 

Only downside is that it takes a lot of time to power down. 

Anyone knows how long the capasitors used in this will last? Do you guys leave it on 24/7?

The capacitors (elec) working temp was something that we took in consideration since beginning. In fact more caps are rated at 1000h 105C. Every 10C less doubles the life of caps

Shanti at full load is around 45C inside ...so 1000 x 2x2 x2 x2 x2 = 32k H = 4 years

However at no load Shanti is at 35C (dont remember the exact number) = 8 years

The lifetime of Supercapacitors is obviously 201 hours..........

.......so just make sure you really, really enjoy that last hour!😁😁

*cough* seriously though, I understand that 10 years is more likely.

And I leave both Shanti and Cuinas Audio PSUs (and therefore, their attached RPi streamers) on all the time.

Edit: I see that Allo have come up with 4-8 years, which is somewhat disappointing.

2 hours ago, allo.com said:

The capacitors (elec) working temp was something that we took in consideration since beginning. In fact more caps are rated at 1000h 105C. Every 10C less doubles the life of caps

Shanti at full load is around 45C inside ...so 1000 x 2x2 x2 x2 x2 = 32k H = 4 years

However at no load Shanti is at 35C (dont remember the exact number) = 8 years

Are those caps common and easily available 8-10 years from now you think?

I guess it's important to turn it off when not in use for a longer period of time. 

16 hours ago, gstew said:

currently a MONSTER 3000F UC pair in each. Those UC pairs have to be carefully pre-charged with a current-limiting setup before connecting them into the setup (they are nearly a dead short for much of the charging time), but the sonics are definitely worth it!

For as great at the Shanti are (and they are bargains for the SQ, they compared well with some of my best DIY'd supplies I have here with parts costs up to and over $1000), it is still amazing what you get with roughly 100x the 3.5F UCs in the Shanti. AND even better 1000x!

Fascinating as usual Greg. Thanks.

Where do you get the UCs - from Mouser? Have you tried the AliExpress ones?

Besides bigger is better, do the UC brands make much difference?

How to get a current limiter?

Best rgds,

Denis

5 hours ago, allo.com said:

Shanti electrolitics are rated at 2000H at 105C

However I will not claim Shanti will last 16 years. My point is that we taught about long life since the start of Shanti design..

I fully accept that we're not in "Telecoms Satellite territory" where 15 years lifetime is the norm, but 4-8 years is a bit on the low side of acceptability, even for consumer electronics - 8-10 years would be be expectation.

Clearly the longer it lasts the better, but I for one just plan to enjoy it whether it’s 4, 8, 16 or however many years. :-)

After all ... re-capping isn’t entirely unknown (nor especially difficult) in some other audio communities, where it seems to be accepted as the norm, albeit at perhaps 10 years or so with non-super-capped supplies.