IGNORED

ALLO Shanti Power Supply

3 hours ago, AyJay said:

Why don't you buy a decent USB-C cable, cut it in half and solder the cable ends directly to the Shanti PCB? Would save you some soldering. I am considering this mod as I do not like the Shanti DC cables.

Alternatively, I am considering to install two DC power jacks (in the housing of the Shanti) after removing the Shanti DC cables. I would then use standard cables to route the power to my DigiOne Signature.

I'm actually using a Ciunas ISOPS w/ a Gotham GAC4. I am currently considering other DC cable options just to feed my curiosity. The Gotham GAC 4 presents a more palpable sound with a more liquid midrange compared to the stock cables that came with the ISOPS.

I currently am thinking of trying the VH Audio CU21 and the Oyaide FTVS-910.

4 hours ago, zacho said:

I'm actually using a Ciunas ISOPS w/ a Gotham GAC4. I am currently considering other DC cable options just to feed my curiosity. The Gotham GAC 4 presents a more palpable sound with a more liquid midrange compared to the stock cables that came with the ISOPS.

You are obviously on a higher audiophile level than I am. I am considering this mod mainly for esthetic reasons (the cables just don’t look good and are too long) and I would probably not hear the difference by swapping the cables.

Allo DigiOne Signature

RME ADI-2 DAC

9 hours ago, zacho said:

Speaking of VH Audio, I’ve had great results using their cotton-insulated silver wires (as interconnects). May be worth considering.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, RX8R3ROD said:

My DigiOne Signature Board appears to have crashed and burned. I cannot get a sound out of it, so looks like I’ll have to order another one. ☹️ I hope this isn’t something that’s happening to other people, but the occasional failure is, I guess, to be expected?

Any update on your broken board? Not to hassle, but I am curious about your experience with the Signature and Shanti compared to batteries (clean side) and LPS or iFi with step-down (dirty side).

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

4 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Speaking of VH Audio, I’ve had great results using their cotton-insulated silver wires (as interconnects). May be worth considering.

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely consider. Question is whether to get the cotton or AirLok variant.

Hi, unfortunately not, but I have been using it with a Katana with Isolator, and it is IMHO really very good.

In my view from my experience with the Katana ... if you don’t fancy messing about with regulated battery supplies, etc you would not, I think, in any way be disappointed with the Shanti.

What really surprised me was (at least with the Katana) how much of an improvement it made powering the Pi with one half of the Shanti. I found it very significantly better than an iPower with added filtering in that role (as usual, in my system and with my PRaT-based audio preferences).

I have been using Shanti since end of July to power my Allo USBridge. The USBridge is connected to SOTM txUSBUltra powered by SOTM SPS500 psu which connects to T+A Dac 8 dsd.

The improvements with the SOTM txUSBUltra infront of T+A was significant and now the improvements with Allo Shanti on the USBridge is pretty significant too. I am not describing the improvements as its improved evrything!

Can't wait to get my hands on the USBridge signature expected to be released this month.

PC (Roon +  HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge Sig + Shanti LPS | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 PSU| T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

Last night, I was so impressed with my version of the "standard" Signature set up (pre-Shanti) that I wanted to share it. It includes a $70 Chinese made linear power supply from eBay powering the Raspberry pi (dirty side) and a battery pack powering the Signature (clean side). If the Shanti was available earlier, I would have probably bought it instead of this elaborate jury rigged system. However I already have this one and not sure if it is worth $150 to "upgrade".

(I was visiting a high end audio store earlier this week and heard an expensive system using an expensive streamer. Needless to say, I was not disappointed when I returned home to this simple system which uses the Allo as part of a networked Macintosh running Audirvana.)

Allo_Rig.jpg

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

4 hours ago, rruffin said:

Needless to say, I was not disappointed when I returned home to this simple system which uses the Allo as part of a networked Macintosh running Audirvana.

Hi @rruffin,

which software do you use for your Allo/RPi set-up when you are streaming from Mac/Audirvana?

Did you have any issues with streaming from Audirvana?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

25 minutes ago, matthias said:

which software do you use for your Allo/RPi set-up when you are streaming from Mac/Audirvana?

Did you have any issues with streaming from Audirvana?

My first Allo DigiOne came with Volumo pre-installed. Worked fine. Upgraded to Allo DigiOne Signature which came with DietPi pre-installed. Worked fine. Played with several of the other Pi OS. All sounded essentially the same (to me) compared to all the settings that I play with in Audirvana - and compared to sound changes through playing with DigiOne power supplies and digital cables. I have a friend who is using Volumo and is of the opinion that playing with the settings can contribute to better sound. Some day I might try, but I have been pretty busy with all of the other tweaks!

Streaming with Audirvana has been trouble free. It is kinda embarrassing how simple it has been. And so inexpensive. Friends who come over are quite surprised at my good sound, ease of streaming (Tidal) and small investment. I really don't know why the combination is not more popular...

1 minute ago, rruffin said:

Streaming with Audirvana has been trouble free. It is kinda embarrassing how simple it has been. And so inexpensive. Friends who come over are quite surprised at my good sound, ease of streaming (Tidal) and small investment. I really don't know why the combination is not more popular...

I have plans to do streaming with Audirvana as well:

MBP/Audirvana streaming Qobuz to the upcoming Shanti powered USBridge Signature.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

7 hours ago, mtavares said:

Did anyone has the Shanti and previous Allo PSU?

Could describe the difference feedding the Shanti clean side of the Digione Signature and swapping the "dirt" side of the Digione Signature with the Shanti and the original Allo PSU?

Thanks,

QJA

Marcos

I still remember being impressed by the Digione sig using its stock adapter and iFi iPower.

Now that I have listened to the player powered by the Shanti, the old configuration sounds broken. It’s simply not on the same level.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:48 PM, RX8R3ROD said:

My experience with LiPo or whichever variety of 18650 batteries has been very similar to yours (though I use a regulated and filtered battery supply, which to my ears helps with the PRaT, though maybe sounds a bit less clean), and it’ll be interesting to see how the Shanti compares.

Could you share your regulated filtered setup?

thanks.

This may be the wrong place to ask but here it goes...

my shanti power supply came with 2 adapters, usbc and one that fits the raspberry pi. It did not come with 2 usbc’s to power the clean and dirty sides. I thought you had to power the hat and that would power the rpi. It works fine without dirty power to the hat but it’s different from all instructions. Do I need a second usb-c? Should it have come with it?

thx!

3 hours ago, Pablor said:

my shanti power supply came with 2 adapters, usbc and one that fits the raspberry pi. It did not come with 2 usbc’s to power the clean and dirty sides. I thought you had to power the hat and that would power the rpi. It works fine without dirty power to the hat but it’s different from all instructions. Do I need a second usb-c? Should it have come with it?

thx!

Mine came with only one 5.5x2.1mm to Type-C adapter as well. So no, it's not a QC issue, but it would've been nice if Allo included two. You need to buy another for the dirty side. 

6 hours ago, Pablor said:

thx!

You have to use small adapters which coming with pack

image.thumb.png.c7589cc7c3c6191508b38a0853480f55.png