IGNORED

ALLO Shanti Power Supply

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, wanta911 said:

I've just ordered one. None of my LPS's are bettering the battery pack with A123 LiFePo batteries powering the clean side of my DigiOne Signature, so I figured I'd give this a shot after reading the thread on DIY Audio.

Interesting, please let us know how the new PSU compares to batteries and to your other power supplies!

On 7/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, nbpf said:

Interesting, please let us know how the new PSU compares to batteries and to your other power supplies!

It's arriving on Monday so I should I have some impressions later next week. I'm already thinking about opening it up and butchering it by replacing the stock DC cables and adapters with a couple of shorter Ghent dedicated USB C cables I have here. 😲

I'll give it a good run as standard first though.

I got mine yesterday and gave it a run last night powering the dirty & clean sides of my Digione Signature (so far so good) but will give it a few days before I give my subjective impressions on SQ.

The case is really long which makes it interesting when it comes to placing it, especially with the outputs & input being at opposite ends. I'm really not a fan of the very long DC cables and having to use adapters, so will definitely be looking at a mod at some point.

I have a question regarding Shanti's compatibility with a USBridge with the J28 jumper removed, giving Sparky and USB boards independent power. I understand the Shanti output is 5.2V at 3A and 5.2V at 1.2A and the USBridge requires 5V at 2.0A and 5V at 100ma.   Is the Shanti overpowering the needs of the USBridge? Is it compatible? Thanks for any input. I've been wanting to try a LPS and would like to give the Shanti a try. 

It'll work fine. The amperage is irrelevant as it will only use what is required and the additional .2V is also OK. I am using mine with the Digione Signature and it's inputs are spec'd at 5V 2 to 3A for the dirty side & 5 to 6V 100mA (will actually take up to 9V) for the clean side.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, spivechild said:

Thanks wanta911. Any additional thoughts on the SQ you care share at the moment? 

Into my 5th night with the Shanti and it works so well with the Digione Signature. Great clean sound, the convenience of one power supply for both inputs without ground loops or interference and all at a very non-audiophile price ;)

The unit hardly even gets lukewarm - which is nice.

Yes it is quite long at 300mm, the DC cables are long and ungainly and you have to use adapters but I may have changed my mind about tinkering with it, I'm just enjoying the music right now and might leave well enough alone.

Yes - well pleased with my Shanti power supply. As Wanta911 says great clean sound. For me it has really opened up the soundstage, the sound really fills the room and it is really easy on the ears and not tiring at all. To complement the Digione Signature,  I have a good sounding DAC - a Chord Mojo, but it makes me wonder how wonderful it would sound like with a really good DAC such as Denafrips or a bettter Chord Model?

Great to hear people are getting on so well with this!

Just ordered mine too.

I’m not necessarily expecting huge gains over the regulated battery supplies (though absolutely no complaints if there are 😄) but it’ll at very least mean my Pi 3 (or whatever replaces that) will at least be getting really clean power. And as so many of us have discovered, when the rest of the kit is getting seriously clean power, giving it to the Pi too really can make a positive difference 👍🏻

Can’t wait ... 😀

Sorry for the jargon. Other than me being one, PRaT is Pace, Rhythym and Timing (or something similar).

My experience with LiPo or whichever variety of 18650 batteries has been very similar to yours (though I use a regulated and filtered battery supply, which to my ears helps with the PRaT, though maybe sounds a bit less clean), and it’ll be interesting to see how the Shanti compares.

I have only bought it because Allo have done such a great job with their other kit, and they seem to think ‘out the box’ so can IMHO get better results than many companies that don’t. So it might be better than the battery supplies. 🤞

If it isn’t I will use it to power my Pi, where I’m confident it will better my iFi iPower and other bits and pieces currently doing duty, but for many people even if it’s just close to battery performance it’ll be a heap more convenient ... and that can be worth a lot if you don’t want to faff around with batteries, as some folks clearly don’t want to ...

Wow, great to know that Allo has finished their Shanti power supply. Looking forward to hearing reports from those who have taken the early plunge!

(It would be helpful when you give your impressions of the Shanti if you include what you were previously using - what powered the sound card and what powered the pi.)

Thanks!

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers