IGNORED

Some commonsense

13 minutes ago, Paul R said:

If by “long” here you are referring to the number of taps (i.e. delay),  there are operators that come into play that limit that. If you mean something else, please explain.

How about you, for once, explain what you mean instead of making vague allusions?

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

At least the DXD from 2NL does not make use of filtering at all (unless they changed their mind by now).

At the very least, the ADC will use a filter in its internal resampling from the raw sigma-delta output to DXD. If you were referring to filters in the analogue front-end of the ADC, there probably isn't one.

39 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, there are any arbitrary number of mathematically lossless conversions that can be made between AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, and WAV at a given sample rate, for instance. Conversion between sample rates isn't a mathematically lossless operation, though as you've pointed out it can be done so as to be "perceptually lossless."

No, that is not what I'm saying. Sample rate conversion can be done with arbitrarily high precision. Pick any non-zero number, and the error can be made smaller. The band limiting filter merely needs to be made sufficiently close to the ideal sinc filter. It might require 1024-bit precision and 10 billion filter taps, but it can be done.

In practice, the SRC precision need only be high enough to fully utilise the resolution of the target format, typically 24 bits. Taking into account realistic DAC noise levels, the requirements can be relaxed further still.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Would be interesting to see one of the Native DSD files recorded live to DSD256 compared to the same file decimated to Redbook resolution with a filtering chain that might typically be used for mass market product.

Compared how?

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Except we were talking about a definition of "lossless." I would guess you could make a damn fine mp3 as well.

No, not without limits. MP3 is 320 kbps at most. This alone limits what it can encode. That's basic information theory. The particulars of the encoding method further restrict the achievable accuracy. A pure tone at 500 Hz will probably be represented fairly well, a 5 kHz tone less so. This is because the format inherently quantises high frequencies with lower precision. That is a choice made by the designers of the format based on models of human hearing. Yes, that is perceptual coding.

Optimally encoding the full information content in a typical CD quality music file requires roughly 500 kbps, a bit more or less depending on the type of music. An MP3 encoder thus must discard nearly half the information in order to fit the remainder below the 320 kbps limit. Beyond a few basic assumptions, nothing in the format spec dictates which parts of the input get discarded in the encoding process. It would be perfectly valid, for instance, to apply a bandpass filter retaining only the 500-1500 Hz range. You probably wouldn't like the result. A better encoder is more selective, discarding primarily signal components deemed inaudible according a perceptual model.

The important point here is, in an MP3 encoding something is always lost, and there are no guarantees whatsoever. PCM, meanwhile, promises to preserve every frequency below Nyquist with the accuracy afforded by the bit depth of each sample value. Need higher frequencies, increase the sample rate. Need better accuracy, increase the bit depth. The only limitations are of a practical nature, such as storage space and computing power. For any given PCM encoding, say 44.1 kHz 16-bit, it is precisely defined what can and cannot be represented.

Getting back to the specific term "lossless," it is not normally applied to raw data formats such as PCM. Rather, the lossless/lossy distinction is used when characterising compression algorithms. FLAC is lossless, whereas MP3 is not. Both operate on PCM data. Similarly, PNG and JPEG are both compression methods for raster image data, one lossless and the other not. When FLAC and PNG are termed lossless, there is no implication that the files encode every shred of information hitting the microphone or camera lens, only that upon decoding the uncompressed form of the data will be recreated exactly.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

As you did in your prior comment, comparing the initial file to the sample rate converted one. I'd like to see something quite typical of the usual filtering chain used.

How would you carry out this comparison. You can't, for a multitude of reasons, do a sample by sample subtraction between a DSD file and a downsampled version of the same.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Since we're talking about common sense, I'd like to get an idea of what's common.

I'm not sure what's common, but it sure ain't sense.

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

How odd. All I'm asking is for you to perform an operation similar to the one you posted about in comment #65 in this thread, and I get a lot of handwaving about how impossible it is.

Let me try again. In the test you're referencing, I started with a 48 kHz, 24-bit file, resampled it to 96 kHz and back to 48 kHz a number of times, the end result being a 48 kHz 24-bit file, same as the original. The difference is then calculated by simply subtracting corresponding samples in the original and the processed files.

You are asking me to start with a DSD256 file and downsample it to some normal PCM rate. Then what? The sample rates differ, so subtracting samples is not possible. Convert the downsampled file back to DSD? Then we'd be comparing sigma-delta modulators more than anything else, and besides, DSD being a 1-bit format means arithmetic (such as subtracting one sample from another) isn't possible.

49 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, downsample to 16/44.1, using filtering that would be typical in the industry for mass market music.

I don't have the (expensive) DAW software likely to be used by commercial studios. Would you accept that SoX resampling is probably of similar quality?

49 minutes ago, Jud said:

Then straight to the spectrogram comparison, as I imagine all the bouncing back and forth was to prove a point that I didn't need proved the first time, much less again.  What I'd like to get is some idea of how much if at all the spectrogram of a typical Redbook product differs from the SDM'd signal that was the initial stage in the digital recording process.

The purpose of the back and forth bouncing was to show that the resampling, even after many iterations, causes only a barely noticeable change in the passband. What makes you think it would be any different with a DSD source?

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

It depends on the parameters used. Can you adjust the parameters to result in something like the "half-band filters" sometimes mentioned on the forum?

Sure, I can do that.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

Only the quality of the filtering used - see above.

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

No, not nearly. Only that this is somewhat similar to the initial SDM form of the signal in the workstation, ADC, whatever, before decimation to the final product.

Most studios probably run the ADCs at 48/24 or 96/24, using the chip's internal decimation filter. Are you looking for an illustration of how these perform compared to high-quality software algorithms? 

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Yes. I'd like to know what the level of measurable difference, if any, would be for a typical recording chain between the original signal and a Redbook result (Redbook because I'm not interested at the moment in mp3 or other lossy compressed formats).

What do you mean by original signal? Typical recordings are multi-tracked at 44.1/48 kHz with a substantial amount of processing and mixing before a CD release eventually pops out. Comparing any individual microphone feed to the final CD wouldn't make any sense. It's not supposed to be the same.

22 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Here are two 16/44.1 captures, from the analogue output of my DAC. One is the DXD file (downloaded from 2L) played back natively (no upsampling, filtering or SDM) and the other is the 16/44.1 file (downloaded from 2L) upsampled to 352.8 using XXHighEnd's AP filter (but still no SDM).

2L-092, Jan Gunnar Hoff, Living, track 01:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T3rUw-f42ef5xWlXkj4IiR5pgLdQyoYX

https://drive.google.com/open?id=188f-KoMAkg6-krSEei19VVaoe4DA8qC_

I believe there is an audible difference between these two captures; not as much as when the DXD and 16/44.1 files are played back directly, but it's still there. (I actually did 3 quick blind comparisons and identified the DXD capture correctly each time - not scientific, but then again, even 10 blind ABXs wouldn't convince some people around here 😉.) The DXD file played back natively has more clarity and is more strident. Just more realistic. And yet, taking a cursory look at their respective spectra, they look pretty much identical to me.

One of them clearly has rolled-off highs. This is the difference of the spectra:

image.thumb.png.c21f613752ff99092abcef6101db192b.png

The recordings contain mostly noise above ~10 kHz, which is why the difference also turns into noise there.

Which DAC did you use for this? What does the "AP" filter do?

17 minutes ago, manisandher said:

A couple of quick questions:

1. So, there's a maximum of 0.4dB difference at ~11kHz - am I reading this right?

Right.

17 minutes ago, manisandher said:

2. Would you expect me to be able to hear this difference?

Assuming you can indeed hear a difference, this is as likely as any.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Original SDM signal in the ADC/workstation immediately upon initial digitization before decimation. My notion is the live DSD256 recording would serve as a very rough approximation.

Most ADCs use a multi-bit sigma-delta A/D converter. The data it produces is then digitally processed on-chip to produce PCM or DSD output. The 1-bit modulator providing the DSD output may well cause at least as much "damage" as the decimation filters used for PCM.

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

Certainly a possibility, though one would hope the folks doing the recording for the labels sold on NativeDSD would be sufficiently finicky to use a reasonable modulator.

The modulator is whatever the chip designers at TI, AKM, or wherever concocted.

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you have a closer proxy to suggest from which you can derive a spectrogram (potentially playable on a consumer DAC - I have some thoughts about other things I might like to do to compare the files), of course I'd be interested.

I'm still struggling to understand what exactly you're looking to achieve. We already know that the noise level in a 24-bit recording is determined by microphone preamp, not the ADC. What does it matter if a couple of the lowest bits are altered by the decimation filter?