IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Hi there,

My OpticalRendu sometimes stops play back randomly with Roon, especially when jumping to next songs (DSD or PCM). This happens with both RoonReady and HQPlayer (client 3.6).  The playback bar on Roon does not move at all. I tried to play music directly from HQPlayer to NAA but still same issue. It is quite frustrated sometimes, I need to reboot OpticalRendu, Roon server or restart HQPlayer (NAA).

This issue do not happen when I use Macbook as Roon Endpoint. I am using Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC and SBooster MK2 5-6v for opticalrendu

Please share if anyone has experienced similar issue.

Thanks,

DAC description: HugoTT2      245f:0815

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Chord Electronics Ltd HugoTT2 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 2
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 1024
    Momentary freq = 705613 Hz (0x58.33a0)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 705600 (705600/1)
period_size: 32768
buffer_size: 131072
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 32767
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 32767
  Mono: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'HugoTT2 Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
2 hours ago, Kevin Nguyen said:

Hi there,

My OpticalRendu sometimes stops play back randomly with Roon, especially when jumping to next songs (DSD or PCM). This happens with both RoonReady and HQPlayer (client 3.6).  The playback bar on Roon does not move at all. I tried to play music directly from HQPlayer to NAA but still same issue. It is quite frustrated sometimes, I need to reboot OpticalRendu, Roon server or restart HQPlayer (NAA).

This issue do not happen when I use Macbook as Roon Endpoint. I am using Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC and SBooster MK2 5-6v for opticalrendu

Please share if anyone has experienced similar issue.

Thanks,

The Chord HugoTT2 and the Chord Qutest discussed earlier in the thread appear to be based on the Amanero USB interface. The Amanero USB interface has various specific firmwares for different OS and sample rates. The development of these firmware's have had a lot of issues and I'm not to confident in them as of yet. These devices may not be running the correct firmware for Linux or very high sample rates. I have no way to qualify if your servers are capable of resampling and streaming these rates over a network. I would discuss the settings with Roon or HQ Player or you may relax them somewhat to achieve reliable playback. On the Rendu I would recommend using SonicOrbiter 2.8 (updated regularly) and keeping the unit cool during playback at these very high sample rates. With your power supply do not use 5 VDC output and confirm that it is capable of 1.5 amp continuous / 2 amp peak at 6 VDC. 

I have been using a microrendu in my stereo setup for a couple of years. paired with a quetest dac, jriver and my music files on NAS (FLAC and DSF) it has worked flawlessly.

Yesterday, jriver no longer sees the rendu and when i try to access the rendu webpage page, i get the site cannot be reached. I have unplugged and replugged the power supply, the rendu, the network cable and the router. still nothing. The lights on the rendu are lit (both power and ethernet). I assumed its not a ps issue since the rendu turns on but maybe that is a mistake (either way i dont have another so i cannot check to see which one it is).

This has never happened and was wondering what else i can do to test to see if the unit is still functional.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

May be the drive. My URendu had similar issues. I am waiting for the new card to arrive here.

You can reach out to Small Green Computer, they can test your setup remotely, Andrew is very helpful.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

are you referring to the NAS? if so, cant be because i can access it and play from it using any other dlna server that are on my network (i have 2 others). The reason i need the rendu is because it iss the only one that can play DSF SACD files. 

I have emailed SGC on another issue so when i hear from them, i may ask for help

Thanks for the suggestion

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The Chord HugoTT2 and the Chord Qutest discussed earlier in the thread appear to be based on the Amanero USB interface. The Amanero USB interface has various specific firmwares for different OS and sample rates. The development of these firmware's have had a lot of issues and I'm not to confident in them as of yet. These devices may not be running the correct firmware for Linux or very high sample rates. I have no way to qualify if your servers are capable of resampling and streaming these rates over a network. I would discuss the settings with Roon or HQ Player or you may relax them somewhat to achieve reliable playback. On the Rendu I would recommend using SonicOrbiter 2.8 (updated regularly) and keeping the unit cool during playback at these very high sample rates. With your power supply do not use 5 VDC output and confirm that it is capable of 1.5 amp continuous / 2 amp peak at 6 VDC. 

thanks, I might try to disable all of upsampling features for a while and report back.

I do not think the issues on server side as it is Core i9, 16 GB ram with 2TB SSD. it processes the upsampling without any sweating.

It could be driver issue of Chord Hugo TT2, the issue also happens when I turn of/on DAC sometimes (I barely turnoff opitcalRendu)

On 3/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, vortecjr said:

What IP address does Roon say the ultraRendu has? Roon will not see the microRendu until the DAC is listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

What happens if you enter 192.168.1.140 into your browser? 

1) When I enter xxxxx.140 into my browser I go to the uRendu GUI

2) Roon has the correct (same) IP address for the uR as my ST GUI has (xxx.140)

3) My ST GUI sees my mRendu and gives an IP address of xxx.141 (Attached)

4) When I try click on the IP link, click "Manage" for the mR, or enter the IP into my browser directly, I get a Safari error (attached)

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 4.57.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 4.57.01 PM.png

Just prior to my prior post, I was able to go to the mR by clicking "Manage", and went into Apps and DAC Diagnostics, and I was not able to see my Exogal Comet Plus there - I believe the message was to attach a USB DAC. The Comet is ON and is in working order - I am able to play my streaming TV audio feed through the DAC without difficulty, so I know the DAC is functional. The mR is connect by USB cable to the Comet, as always. I unplugged/replugged the mR to reboot it and did not see a change.

27 minutes ago, dmagnus1 said:

Just prior to my prior post, I was able to go to the mR by clicking "Manage", and went into Apps and DAC Diagnostics, and I was not able to see my Exogal Comet Plus there - I believe the message was to attach a USB DAC. The Comet is ON and is in working order - I am able to play my streaming TV audio feed through the DAC without difficulty, so I know the DAC is functional. The mR is connect by USB cable to the Comet, as always. I unplugged/replugged the mR to reboot it and did not see a change.

When my Rendu doesn’t see my otherwise-functioning DAC, I disconnect both from power, then power up the DAC, then power up the Rendu, then go into the Rendu’s settings and “save” my playback software settings.  That specific sequence usually works.  

Also, try a $2 USB cable instead of an audiophile one if that sequence doesn’t work.  My setup prefers those cables sometimes.  You can hotswap in the better cable once you are up and running.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

When my Rendu doesn’t see my otherwise-functioning DAC, I disconnect both from power, then power up the DAC, then power up the Rendu, then go into the Rendu’s settings and “save” my playback software settings.  That specific sequence usually works.  

Also, try a $2 USB cable instead of an audiophile one if that sequence doesn’t work.  My setup prefers those cables sometimes.  You can hotswap in the better cable once you are up and running.  

Thx Mike. I’ll give that a try 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, Mike Rubin said:

The power off/power on trick did not work. The ST sees both renderers and correctly ID's their IP addresses. The uR can be accessed, managed, and played to by Roon. The mR homepage/GUI cannot be accessed by any method. It is not a matter of the DAC on the other side of the mR being verified.

vortecjr - is there anything other than a hardware fail that could cause this? Do I need to send it in to be looked at or replaced?

Thx

1 hour ago, dmagnus1 said:

The power off/power on trick did not work. The ST sees both renderers and correctly ID's their IP addresses. The uR can be accessed, managed, and played to by Roon. The mR homepage/GUI cannot be accessed by any method. It is not a matter of the DAC on the other side of the mR being verified.

vortecjr - is there anything other than a hardware fail that could cause this? Do I need to send it in to be looked at or replaced?

Thx

Here is what I think is going on. Sonicorbiter.com remembers the mR, but it’s not actually seeing the unit because it’s not booting up. More likely than not the micro SD card is bad. Pick up a new micro SR card from our website under Software. 

microrendu — is the only way to determine if the existing sd/software is defective to try a new SD card with new software from the manufacturer?

Symptom: sonicorbiter does not see the microrendu on the network. Good Ethernet cable connected to a working router port. I’ve tried a handful of different internet cables and every port on the router. The microrendu’s power light comes on but no blinking light indicating network connectivity. Appreciate any tips. 

3 hours ago, Rockrink said:

microrendu — is the only way to determine if the existing sd/software is defective to try a new SD card with new software from the manufacturer?

Symptom: sonicorbiter does not see the microrendu on the network. Good Ethernet cable connected to a working router port. I’ve tried a handful of different internet cables and every port on the router. The microrendu’s power light comes on but no blinking light indicating network connectivity. Appreciate any tips. 

That is the recommended way assuming no network issues. 

On 3/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, vortecjr said:

I've done some more tests:

1. If I connect the Qutest to the iMac by USB, everything runs perfectly (HQPLAYER 768PCM);

2. If I connect my Qutest to the Ultrarendu and the Ultrarendu to my iMac through either a CAT6 / CAT8 cable and I also enable flow control, I still get static noise;

3. If I add a switch (not managed, flow control enabled) in between the Ultrarendu and the iMac, I still get static noise.

My conclusion is that either my DAC doesn't work correctly on Linux, either the Ultrarendu can't handle this high sample rate. Sadly, I don't have any other DAC to do a further test and find out which one is it. 

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sebastian T. said:

I've done some more tests:

1. If I connect the Qutest to the iMac by USB, everything runs perfectly (HQPLAYER 768PCM);

2. If I connect my Qutest to the Ultrarendu and the Ultrarendu to my iMac through either a CAT6 / CAT8 cable and I also enable flow control, I still get static noise;

3. If I add a switch (not managed, flow control enabled) in between the Ultrarendu and the iMac, I still get static noise.

My conclusion is that either my DAC doesn't work correctly on Linux, either the Ultrarendu can't handle this high sample rate. Sadly, I don't have any other DAC to do a further test and find out which one is it. 

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry to hear that you are still having a problem. I can attest that my uRendu does 768 PCM without issue so I don't think it is the Rendu. I am running HQP on win 10/64 so that is one difference. Try to PM Jesus and see if he can help. 

5 hours ago, bobflood said:

Sorry to hear that you are still having a problem. I can attest that my uRendu does 768 PCM without issue so I don't think it is the Rendu. I am running HQP on win 10/64 so that is one difference. Try to PM Jesus and see if he can help. 

If the device's USB firmware can be updated in the field, I don't think you can, then additional experimentation is need with the various available firmwares.     

44 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

If the device's USB firmware can be updated in the field, I don't think you can, then additional experimentation is need with the various available firmwares.     

Is it posibile to update the Chord Qutest firmware?

Also, does the Ultrarendu save logs that could tell if my problem is caused by dropped packets or the DAC’s misbehavior?

1 minute ago, Sebastian T. said:

Is it posibile to update the Chord Qutest firmware?

Also, does the Ultrarendu save logs that could tell if my problem is caused by dropped packets or the DAC’s misbehavior?

I don't think you can update the firmware on those devices. You can send the Rendu in and I can have a look at it.