IGNORED

Best Audiophile USB Card ?

9 hours ago, Superdad said:

It does take care. But not as much money as you state. You just need one of these: https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/phase-noise-and-allan-deviation-testers/5565-53100a#overview. Plus a couple of good external OCXOs to connect for cross-correlation.

It is an industry standard which has been built and sold under several names (TimePod, Symmetricom 5120A, Jackson Labs PhaseStation) for many years. 

Measures down to about -140dBc/Hz at 1Hz, and -178dBc/Hz at 1KHz

About $23K.  It is what we use.

No, unfortunately that equipments aren't enough to measure the exact phase noise datas. 

We are using to measure our masterclocks and cards Rohde&Schwarz FSUP and R&S FSWP analyzers. Totaly different level. Of course the price range too...

In addition about Crystec's 957 series oscillators: the theoretical parameters are ok and gives to the engineers important informations. Earlier (5-6 years ago) we used that Crystec oscillators in our USB/SPDIF converters 24 - 24.576 - 22.5792 MHz freqs and works well but unfortunately in the PCB the oscillators working different then alone connected to the measurement equipment...  -90dB@10Hz is a typical phase noise at that oscillators. We dropped them finally and started to develop our own oscillators. That is true, the newst Crystec modells has better parameters but in audio industry the better parameters not equal always with better SQ.

Manufacturer of Core Audio equipments

www.coreaudio.eu

Source: Core Audio DAIDO ULTIMATE + CA KARUNA ULTIMATE USB/SPDIF Bridge + CA DENPO ULTIMATE DAC

Amplifiers: MBL 6010D preamp + MBL 9008A monoblocks

Loudspeakers: MBL 101emkII, YG Hailey 2.2

Cables: TARALABS USB, Muse Digit, Muse IC + ZERO Evolution, Muse SP

PF shows phase noise as <-130dBc/Hz at 10Hz, the jump in SQ between the regular OCXO and the ultra is considerable....not being able to measure phase noise there is no way to correlate one to the other.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

5 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

PF shows phase noise as <-130dBc/Hz at 10Hz, the jump in SQ between the regular OCXO and the ultra is considerable....not being able to measure phase noise there is no way to correlate one to the other.

Yes, i tried the PF USB card without OCXO and normal OCXO, then Ultra OCXO. The final sound quality jumped high and high. 

Manufacturer of Core Audio equipments

www.coreaudio.eu

Source: Core Audio DAIDO ULTIMATE + CA KARUNA ULTIMATE USB/SPDIF Bridge + CA DENPO ULTIMATE DAC

Amplifiers: MBL 6010D preamp + MBL 9008A monoblocks

Loudspeakers: MBL 101emkII, YG Hailey 2.2

Cables: TARALABS USB, Muse Digit, Muse IC + ZERO Evolution, Muse SP

14 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Sorry I don’t get it.  We are able to correlate the difference based on the performance of the clocks alone, no measurement needed - just our ears and the stated specs.

?

50 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Sorry I don’t get it.  We are able to correlate the difference based on the performance of the clocks alone, no measurement needed - just our ears and the stated specs.

?

Well, I have no huge confidence in correlations based on my own subjective observations with N=1 ;-)

The manufacturer specs are what they are, I cannot verify them...and there may be other contributing factors to the difference in SQ, which is why I won't go as far as saying that lower phase noise correlates to better sound quality.

Based on my observations I dare say the PF Ultra OCXO is a very nice improvement of sound quality over the regular OCXO.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 2/17/2023 at 12:20 PM, wittao said:

In addition about Crystec's 957 series oscillators: the theoretical parameters are ok and gives to the engineers important informations. Earlier (5-6 years ago) we used that Crystec oscillators in our USB/SPDIF converters 24 - 24.576 - 22.5792 MHz freqs and works well but unfortunately in the PCB the oscillators working different then alone connected to the measurement equipment...  -90dB@10Hz is a typical phase noise at that oscillators. We dropped them finally and started to develop our own oscillators. 

For an £10-20 part they offer amazing performance however all of the "Femto" clocks I have looked at are limited by their BOM costs and formfactor limitations.

Once you load their outputs they are unpredictable for high level audio use. Drive even a 50 ohm PCB trace (in fairness they are not really spec'd to do this) let alone coax and be prepared to see audio performance pulled all over the dial. Of course you can use them to drive high impedance loads over very short trace lengths but even here the outputs can struggle.

I have spent months and months understanding these problems and working out solutions. These devices fundamentally offer decent close in phase noise performance and excellent phase noise floor performance away from the carrier frequency. Here the above limitations are fixed but the solutions cost many 10s of times the cost of the "femto" clock itself. Well worth the effort though in terms of musical performance :).

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

15 hours ago, Jarek_Jcat said:

This discussion is heading in a bit wrong direction, as clock phase noise, important of course but not the only aspect of good sounding clock. Same as noise of power supplies. If we compare Jcat Initio3 and Optimo3Duo, even thou they share same circuit design, have more or less same PCB and noise wise measure exactly the same, they do sound different and Optimo3Duo is significant upgrade over Initio3.

Same goes with clock. There are so many other aspects affecting it’s performance. From power supply and it’s distribution, buffering, signal distribution, output stage, PCB design and many more. Also removing oscillator from USB card and it’s power supply equation, affects SQ. All that matters and was addressed in Master OCXO module design, and is reason it looks quite complex. Master OCXO is step up in phase noise performance over oscillator used on Jcat USB card, but all in all from sound quality perspective it is much more complicated.

kind regards

Indeed, phase noise performance only counts when it is delivered directly onto the pin of the device you are driving. Not withstanding the oscillator's performance, implementation is everything.

I'm not sure that I would say Master OCXO module design is quite complex though, here we are developing the firmware for the imbedded micros that control both the clock system's functions and the USB card :).  

Still a good looking board and defiantly a good move to take the clock off the USB card IMHO. 

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

• 1 month later...

I've had great results from the Paul Pang v3, a basic USB controller with a fat custom OCXO plugged in. It can take external power and I have used it with a large 60000mAh USB  battery pack for years now which provided the best quality audio. Checking on PP's website it doesn't look like he's selling USB cards any longer. 

paulpangusb.jpg

I'm in the throws of building a NAA endpoint for HQPlayer modeled on the well documented CAPS 20.1 rig, the JCAT USB XE is on my buy list.  I don't see an external clocked variant on JCat's site; any insight on timing / pricing for this leveled-up USB XE? 

Thanks for the review, @Exocer -- helps with my decision to upgrade my USB XE when the OCXO board is released, since we're using the same DAC and I also have a tX-USBultra. Definitely agree that the USB XE and the tX-USBultra play very well together. Also not surprised that you said it was helped greatly by the Sean Jacobs, the Audio Bacon review mentioned that the tX-USBultra was the most sensitive device he's ever heard to LPS changes. I'm using a PHD SR4T with it partially based on his review there.

Another advantage potentially with the tX-USBultra you should consider is that you can potentially get the clock board inside the unit modified to use its untapped outputs and then use those outputs to reclock your SOtM motherboard, at least I'm pretty sure that would work. I've considered the same when I think of doing a new server build. I realize this would involve getting SOtM (or potentially Crux Audio, aka SOtM USA) to modify both the motherboard and the tX-USBultra, though.

I have a tX-USBultra "Special Edition" with the SOtM EMI/RFI paper, upgraded caps, Neotech OCC Silver wire, etc. as well as the 75ohm input (using a Emperor Signature AfterDark OCXO with it, agree with your conclusion that it makes a difference but that power supply seems bigger -- AudioBacon recommended the Snake River Audio Boomslang BNC-BNC as a clock cable during a shootout and that was also good, much better than Blue Jeans that I used temporarily) -- never got a good handle on how much difference Special Edition upgrades make, but those units have been showing up on the used market for some time now, so it's not impossible to get a good deal. Got mine for $750 about two to three years ago here on AS, which amounts to a 50% discount over the ~$1500 Crux Audio charges for a new Special Edition unit with a clock input.

10 hours ago, Exocer said:

The sole purpose of my TX-USBUltra purchase was to be able to:

1. Extract the SCLK-EX, enable the outputs to work with:

a. Motherboard

b. Onboard Lan

c. A USB card

d. USB Hubin

e. Enable the external 75ohm clock input so that I can incorporate my Ref10.

The USBHubin is already configured to be reclocked by the SCLK-EX and that is the only active output on my board presently. Also, my motherboard will need to be modded to accept the external clocks. I am planning to have all of these mods done professionally (since my time is very limited these days).

The USBHubin will be mounted inside of the chassis.

That being said, the tx-usbultra mods do not apply to me since I will be taking the entire thing apart and splittin the components this year. I will also be doing custom wiring. @AngeloVRAgave me tons of ideas of what to try.

@internethandle - I am sure your SR4T is doing a wonderful job in this function!

Thanks for taking the time to read it. There are a bunch of typos and grammatical errors but I did not have time to proof read. Just because the TX-USBUltra isn't as populare as it once was, it should not be disregarded. It is on the list of my biggest regrets for not trying sooner. That being said, the reclocked JCAT USB XE is going to be a game changer as well. Just think of everything you like about the existing USB XE and take it up several notches. (I am not paid to shill, I am genuinely honored and excited for where this journey will take us all).

Cheers,

-Rob

Interesting. What will you be using the HubIn for? As in, once it is installed in your case with the clock board, are you planning on plugging the XE output into it and then on to the LIM, or will it be used to attach NAS/similar to your server? Or something else?

My understanding was always that the HubIn is essentially the same as the output/hub board in the ultra, except the ultra has a smaller daughter board above it that accepts power via 2.1mm jack and has a USB B port, vs. the HubIn having the power jack on its board (and no USB B port). Some of SOtM’s products with a USB hub chip have overlap there, though, so it gets a bit confusing.

5 hours ago, internethandle said:

Interesting. What will you be using the HubIn for? As in, once it is installed in your case with the clock board, are you planning on plugging the XE output into it and then on to the LIM, or will it be used to attach NAS/similar to your server? Or something else?

My understanding was always that the HubIn is essentially the same as the output/hub board in the ultra, except the ultra has a smaller daughter board above it that accepts power via 2.1mm jack and has a USB B port, vs. the HubIn having the power jack on its board (and no USB B port). Some of SOtM’s products with a USB hub chip have overlap there, though, so it gets a bit confusing.

Hi @internethandle

You can tap the output signal of the JCAT USB XE and wire it to the input of the USBhubIn. With the USBHubIn clocked by an SCLK-ex, this essentially gives you a tX-USBultra installed internally in your chassis server.

9c4f4cca-4f2f-4fbc-8181-0d2cb168f158.thumb.JPG.85e6303e464780229eed9a9415fd06cc.JPG

Above is a pic of the USB XE wired to the USBHubin using a DIY cable for D+/D-/Gnd.

The USBHubIn is powered with and external 12v LPS via the rear SATA connector. It can also be powered with 9V via its own DC power input jack OR  from the SCLK-EX via another power in connector as in the standard tX-USBUltra.

ef5912ee-4760-4982-b410-1595ce0553a4.thumb.jpg.409fd5119d47ee90d0c7fe01460bd10e.jpg

Above is the pinout for USB XE. From the top, it is Gnd/D+/D-/Vcc

NOTE OF CAUTION: before soldering the wires in, make sure there is no voltage on VCC pin as it is easy to short out D- and Vcc pins as you position and solder the D- wire. This would cause damage to the IC feeding the signal. Taking off the 5v jumpers from the USB XE before working on it would remove voltage from the Vcc pin. As always, verify with a DMM.

c842833f-339c-4b8a-b29b-d85a902eb18f.thumb.JPG.27d5cf0be0af353d8eef03ac15fb182f.JPG

If you are "relocating" a USBHubIn from a tX-USBUltra, you would need the appropriate PCIE slot cover to mount it properly. The above can be ordered from SOTM.

Hope this helps.

Angelo

@AngeloVRA very cool. Not sure I have the skill set to modify an XE card such as you have but it's a very elegant/tidy solution.

Is the advantage of this solution vs. an external tX-USBultra, in your eyes, both less boxes to deal with and less USB cables/shorter clock cables? Makes sense to me especially to do it this way if you were using the SCLK-ex inside a server with multiple taps, tidier and neater.

36 minutes ago, internethandle said:

@AngeloVRA very cool. Not sure I have the skill set to modify an XE card such as you have but it's a very elegant/tidy solution.

Is the advantage of this solution vs. an external tX-USBultra, in your eyes, both less boxes to deal with and less USB cables/shorter clock cables? Makes sense to me especially to do it this way if you were using the SCLK-ex inside a server with multiple taps, tidier and neater.

Hi @internethandle

Yes, I moved from a Gigabyte Vision D motherboard with Xeon W-1290 to an SOTM SMB-Q370 with 2 outputs of the SCLK-ex clocking the MB. Adding the SNI-1G and the USBHub in this manner made full use of all 4 outputs, does result in less boxes, less LPS, less AC cable, less DC cable, less USB cable....less clutter..... and since I was feeding the SCLK-EX with a Mutec SE120, also 1 less external clock cable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...