IGNORED

Best Audiophile USB Card ?

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Strange to design a card to fit only their latest Ultra streamer

That looks like half height. The width is not a problem for me either.

216-ultra.jpg

Pink Faun Streamer 2.16, streamer high end - Pink Faun

I think this is a worthwhile topic but right now its too long to read through. Is there a summary somewhere of good audiophile USB cards or failing that

would it be agreeable to @Dean Shias to curate/update the original post  with links to the relevant USB cards where best discussed in this thread?

Right now I think the thread age/length discourages anyone just starting to dip their toes in the water from reading it

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The v2 card replaces the older v1 card which had an option to add an OCXO clock on board. V2 card has an improved clock section but no option to add a clock. Uses a later ASM3142 usb chipset and updated hardware. And with Pink Faun’s recent firmware update, the v2 has exceeded my old v1/OCXO sound wise. 

The Ultra USB card is their attempt to build the ultimate USB card. Includes super capacitor power supply, their Ultra OCXO clock, their latest thoughts on design and a metal housing for EMI and heat management. Should be out anytime now. 

I wrote about the v2, the ultra prototype and the comparison between my old v1/OCXO and the v2. Earlier in this thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 4:49 PM, flkin said:

@Hulio No the Ultra is not out yet. I guess we just have to wait until the announcement. I’m guessing it won’t be cheap though..

The v2 is already very nice, just make sure it has the latest firmware. 

Hi,

On v2 page says that it using proprietary firmware.

Is there a way to update to latest firmware but to keep and reinstall the original? ASMTool or something else?

3 hours ago, danielB said:

Hi,

On v2 page says that it using proprietary firmware.

Is there a way to update to latest firmware but to keep and reinstall the original? ASMTool or something else?

Sorry I have no idea. Jord teamviewed into my system to get it done. I guess the later cards sold would already have the later software depending on when you purchased it. I like the improvement the v2 firmware offered, I'm not sure if there is a reason to return to the earlier version after the upgrade.

42 minutes ago, flkin said:

Sorry I have no idea. Jord teamviewed into my system to get it done. I guess the later cards sold would already have the later software depending on when you purchased it. I like the improvement the v2 firmware offered, I'm not sure if there is a reason to return to the earlier version after the upgrade.

Thank you for the infos.I ve bought mine 2nd day after launch last year so better to ask Jord if i need a firmware update.

I suppose your update were under windows?

• 1 month later...

Hi Kin,

I was expecting it after Axpona but not at that price.Must be something special.Could be the capacitors and the filtering after the capacitors.At least is not 3 slots wide and 600w power hungry like the rtx4090:))

27 minutes ago, danielB said:

Hi Kin,

I was expecting it after Axpona but not at that price.Must be something special.Could be the capacitors and the filtering after the capacitors.At least is not 3 slots wide and 600w power hungry like the rtx4090:))

Jord will be at Axpona. He might bring one along seeing that it’s already completed. If so, those lucky visitors will get to hear it first! 

No offense, yet I don't want the best USB output, I want the best I2S or whatever is best for computer to DAC output!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 4/6/2024 at 4:28 AM, flkin said:

Finally the long awaited Pink Faun Ultra USB bridge is complete and just about to be delivered to their first owners next week. 😄

Last year 2023 when I found out about it, I visited Pink Faun in Rhenen to have a first look and wrote up about that visit is here. Being a long time Pink Faun user, I am fortunate to be in this first pre-production batch of 10 units.

It’s taken a little longer than planned but the team has taken the time to revise the locking lip of the USB Ultra’s aluminium case so it can fit both the current 2.16 Ultra streamer, which was what it was designed for, and the older 2.16x cases where full height cards usually needs some adjustment to fit. The Ultra card is 1.5x the width of a PCIe slot due to the new case which serves as an EMI shield and heat sink for the new super-capacitor power components and Ultra OCXO clock inside and so it will need 2 free full sized PCIe slots to fit. External power will be 5V/2A through what will probably be a 2.5mm barrel plug but there seems to also be an internal 4-pin Molex power socket too. It will be interesting to compare the internal Molex supply buffered by the super capacitors to a good external DC supply. This is significant since good DC supplies and their associated audiophile cables are not cheap. 

1(18).thumb.jpeg.4ff08dc2c6b3b0488e82b6ad6068c003.jpeg

1(19).thumb.jpeg.241bdc1139a45e60b9e9c2126fdeaf0c.jpeg

1(20).thumb.jpeg.18681bc6371849031ab4c06e6d62ff17.jpeg

Jord informs me that the card will be officially launched on their website before the Munich show in May. The 2nd batch is sold out with units ready later this month and production of the 3rd batch is on the way. I’m told the current plan is to sell only to existing Pink Faun owners for €3250 ex. VAT making this probably the highest price USB card in existence!

Once I get my unit and have sometime with it, I will write my impressions about how it sounds. At this price, it is not a trivial purchase and it would have to out perform the existing v2 card substantially to make it worth the asking price. I recently found that the existing v2 card already outperformed the older v1/ultraOCXO card so this will be a difficult target to reach indeed. Let’s see soon!

Regards to all, Kin

Looking forward to your feedback! Needless to say, the form-factor is interesting and gives the impression of quality. Typical for Pink Faun 😎

Unfortunately I am priced out of purchasing this card at the stated price point.

@flkin have you had a chance to demo the SOTM USBx10g or Jcat USB XE + Master OCXO?

@Exocer, yeah the new USB card is the first I’ve seen to have this form factor. The external case looks pretty chunky and solid but perhaps not as heavy as one would expect. They decided on aluminum rather than copper for the case which I’m told was an option during the design stage. 

I only heard the new Sotm card in another system briefly but haven’t come across the new JCat with external OCXO clock locally yet. 

• 3 weeks later...