IGNORED

JA says none of y’all showed up to talk about MQA

52 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

How would video conferencing allow Miska to attend and ask questions at a live trade show event like this?

I don't think he has access to a telepresence robot.

CAKfoO7VAAA7tnS.thumb.jpg.e97814db217a2dace2bb7be36a196d4c.jpg

That's a kind of silly objection, don't you think? They rent those things, and any PC, tablet or phone can usually drive them fine. That is the whole point of the beasties...

But actually, no - I was thinking more of just having them participate on a panel at something like RMAF via a live teleconference. All the convention centers (i.e. hotels) have AV conference capabilities now, and many of the ones I have been to make those facilities available for conference goers. Or a simple laptop connected via Cisco or other conferencing systems, can serve in a pinch for one or two participants. A normal system could easily handle a dozen or more, as well as hundreds or thousands of streamed viewers. 

There are also other possibilities if you stop to think about it, to hold well moderated and well attended conferences. I am a member of several professional associations that do pretty much everything virtually these days, including conferences and technical sessions. It is the only way for a diverse group to economically meet on a regular basis. 

Plus, it would get the people who need to be in the forefront there. Hell, even AS could sponsor an online conference with the switch in the cloud. 

-Paul 

The forum here is much more like a pub conversation than a formal conference.  

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

8 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

One thing that may grab attention is a petition.  People seem to like those these days.  Have people sign a pledge stating they will not buy any gear that is MQA enabled, then clearly state the technical reasons why.   Should not be very hard to get a few thousand audiophiles to sign it.  I'm kinda new to the whole MQA debate, and things i've read here made it clear to me MQA should go bye bye.  Gear makers will notice something like that, gotta get pressure on them to stop integrating it.

I have thought about this.  It's only audio...usually petitions are for "important things/issues".  That's the optics anyways.  Most will say "better to vote with your dollars", etc.

Still, I wonder if making it "fun" would not help.  Perhaps using Nancy Reagan's image in a humours "Just Say No" campaign.  Perhaps a domain/web site such as "www.getMQAoffmylawn.org" that hosts the petition and sells "MQA free" tee shirts, and offers littler stickers that manufactures can put on their new product that say "MQA free device".

All that takes effort of course 😋

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

That someone with that type of background can simultaneously not comprehend why

is preposterous, I have to say, boggles the mind.

If you're such a hotshot, use all of your knowledge to think for a second before playing victim and saying shit like "answering this isn't worth my time".

Does all of that membership to several professional associations really lead you to believe that the MQA folks would want to engage candidly and honestly, let alone be on a panel they organised, with @Archimago, @mansr, @Miska, @NoisyNarrowBandDevice or any of the other technically credible critics ?

Who the effing heck cares about the MQA people? 

Use your brain and think about who you want to convince  about any of the facts surrounding MQA. I doubt seriously anyone cares about convincing MQA people themselves. But the MQA people are sure going to care if you reach the MQA target audience. Maybe enough enough to have rational conversation.  

And by the way, I would sure like someone to try interrupting on a VC like they did to Chris at RMAF - <click> and they are muted. 

Shucks - did you *think* about what I said at all, or just sprout off randomly? I feel the same way about you right now buddy - preposterous is a good word. 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

How is this a "silly objection"? 

You told Miska he could have video conferenced into the AXPONA MQA event so I asked you to provide details on how he could have done this.

No, I said video conferencing was an option. And it is a very good option to put someone who is remote on a panel. For heavens sake, you see the same thing every day on any news channel you care to watch.  Why would you not remotely teach a class or make a presentation or lead a discussion? 

It's silly to suggest that the only kind of remote VC is a stupid looking robot wandering around. Who wants to talk with you on an iPad screen when they can sit in a nice room with *good* AV capabilities?  

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

yellow or incompetent writers

Just so there's no ambiguity here, I wasn't necessarily referring to the audiophiliac selfebrities with that, thinking more of Ben Lovejoy, Jon Fingas and the ilk.

They've got the type and size of audience Stereophile or Darko can only dream of, could personally give a crap less about the technical qualities (same goes for their audience), and that's probably who MQA's on-payroll brain bugs are going for.

11 hours ago, crenca said:

On this, we could do something with this thread (update, organize, revise, start over):

Excellent and thank you.  From what I can tell, any MQA co-conspirator just loves to engage in obfuscation.  In fact, I suspect it's their highest priority and strategy by trying to take anybody down the bottomless technical rabbit hole that essentially wears down anybody observing or participating.  Even though their arguments are weak, incorrect, etc, they do what they can to keep driving everybody down the bottomless rabbit hole to the point where entire audiences are lost or gone.  Almost like they're intentionally trying to reinvent the debate wheel with every thread.  I thought I saw that the other day in the Stereophile / MQA thread you particiapated in and it seems like I've obsevered that very practice numerous times before.

Having a nice and concise thread like the one you just started allows you and anybody else to point back to for as long as the sharlatans keep shoveling their manure.  At the same time this gives the casual / non-technical or less technical types the ability to zero in on MQA's technical shortcomings without having to sift through 1000's of comments to find any meat and potatoes.

Anyway, thanks.  And maybe now MQA can die of natural causes a little more swiftly.  :)

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me