IGNORED

Help With New Car Stereo

27 minutes ago, HIFI said:

Reading the original post . . . Sounds like you want to add amps and change speakers and add sub.

Because most factory stereos do not have rca outs you will likely have to add speaker to rca adapter(s) or go speaker output to speaker inputs on new amps.

You may want to look at audiocontrol.com and see the multitude of offers they have to put in between your Subaru’s head unit and everything else you will add/change later.  This is the best way to tackle interfacing factory and aftermarket. 

Just a thought . . . There is so much road noise in automobiles and then fan noise from ac/heater it’s not like your going to get great fidelity. . . 

. . . But i fancey a good 12 volt audio system.

Just suppose you don’t want to drop a bunch of money into a real good Audiocontrol ,or brand of your choice, factory head unit interface and you decided the less expensive rout of converting speaker outs to rca connections.  My vision now is a music server in your Subaru that will share everything else you add down audio stream yet it will be its own independent source.  It runs parallel to your head unit yet easy custom mode selector you add that allows your amps,speakers,sub to see one or the other systems (factory system or music server).

i don’t have to help with the music server but on the cheap a 12 volt netbook pc with jriver, JRemote on your smart phone, usb dac, usb hard drives for more storage and a router that runs on 12volt dc.

I did this on a boat with wonderful results.  I also used several audiocontrol components because I still had interest in the highest dynamic range and the lowest noise floor.  

I have some additional thoughts if interested regarding separation and center staging in autos if interested 

Yes. Very interested. Tell me more. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have a few friends who are Subaru fiends, and they have actually gone in and replaced the head unit. I would not do that in a new vehicle, but it is always a choice I suppose. 

I can ask what specific unit they did the replacement with, it was some kind of Sony unit. Tis was in 2018 models though. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My truck is 2011 and the head unit already did climate control as well as audio.  Most must do the same by now if not more in vehicle features.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I would compile the info, then write a letter to the dealer.  See what happens.  You can ask if the option would fix the problem, and if it is dealer installable.

Next, send the letter to the region, and then to Subaru USA.  That is their preferred procedure and will alert them to the issue.

In your cover letter to Subaru USA, mention that you are a HiFi journalist and run a website with a readership of xxx.  Note that you are, with other authors, working on an article about car sound systems. 

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This takes the speaker wires as inputs and outputs RCA correct? This just seems like a terrible way to get a good audio signal. It's what Crutchfield recommended as well. 

Unless you can find a line out (output level equiv to RCA) from the head unit, then I don't think  you have any other choice except to install a good Line Out Converter (takes speaker wires from head unit and converts output to line level RCA, etc.). AudioControl units are good -- need to find the model that suits your needs best. 

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I once considered putting my squeezebox touch in my truck for music and feeding it line in on my summing unit.  But didn't think it would hold up to the cold.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Visit Audiocontrol.com for info on interface units.  You will find anything from input to two channel output interface all the way up to multi channel (steering & control) outputs.

I don't think you are asking me about the music server side of my post.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding Staging . . . .There is the issue of you sitting close to left speaker and far (time) from right speaker.  There is also the loudness issue with sitting on a speaker and seeing the other four or five foot away.  There are 12 volt processors that say address these issues but I have no experience.  I also feel if one uses time alignment for this "Sweet Spot Listening(Driver) then the passenger(s) are in a mess of sound.  I have no experience with time alignment in a car audio system I would want to go to a custom car audio dealership and find out if this is a satisfactory solution to through a front stage on the windshield of your Subaru. 

For me I addressed the issue of staging using Summed Mono and a center channel.  Its very easy and truly worth the effort for everyone in the automobile. 

Just some additional thoughts . . . . Rear speakers and amplification . . . The less you do in back , maybe better.  Try to avoid anything other than rear fill so you DON'T detract from front stage.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

9 hours ago, crenca said:

Good grief. What's wrong with you people north of the Mason-Dixon line?  Go South young men, go south... 😋

Try adding 70 F to that screenshot for the actual temp at AS HQ today.  B|

@The Computer Audiophile you have the room aboard and appear to have interested yourself in using home stereo equipment as heavily as possible.  Load up the TAD and put a sign in the window. Every mile will be a rolling audition for potential buyers. By the time you can get that plan into effect freezing temps will be no more. 

The JL Audio DSP amplifiers are awesome as long as you can get a good signal into them (analog works fine as long as it doesn't require a bunch as summing)

I run 6 Focal drivers and JL Audio sub through the VX1000/1i  and the ability to tune every driver individually was crucial in getting everything blended right. Pretty sure I have the best sounding Prius in Silicon Valley. 😏  Even put acoustic material inside the door panels.

1 hour ago, PorkChop said:

The JL Audio DSP amplifiers are awesome as long as you can get a good signal into them (analog works fine as long as it doesn't require a bunch as summing)

I run 6 Focal drivers and JL Audio sub through the VX1000/1i  and the ability to tune every driver individually was crucial in getting everything blended right. Pretty sure I have the best sounding Prius in Silicon Valley. 😏  Even put acoustic material inside the door panels.

Awesome!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 3/20/2019 at 10:30 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

How did you connect the subwoofer to the head unit?

Hi Chris,

I had the speakers installed by a professional car audio outfit in Sydney called Metro-sound and I'm not exactly sure how they connected the sub. There were, however, 2 off 4 x 6 "subs" under the front seat so I am guessing the active sub was connected via them using speaker level connections, but not really sure. Sorry I could not be more help.

I don't think you are going to get line out from the Subaru's head unit so I suggest simply upgrading the speakers with high quality efficient speakers and then using your iPhone as the source via the AUX in.

The improvement in sound quality I achieved doing this was substantial and after 3 years I'm still very happy with the sound. At worst you will not be committing money that will be wasted as you will need to upgrade the speakers which ever way you go.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Marine land? I thought they closed that place up? Is it open again???!!!  (Sorry for the OT. )

Open everyday.      What they have done the University of Fla has Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience and University of Ga & Georgia Aquariums has Marineland Dolphin Adventure.  I'm about 5 miles south.

The Truth Is Out There

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Hi Chris,

I had the speakers installed by a professional car audio outfit in Sydney called Metro-sound and I'm not exactly sure how they connected the sub. There were, however, 2 off 4 x 6 "subs" under the front seat so I am guessing the active sub was connected via them using speaker level connections, but not really sure. Sorry I could not be more help.

They likely just replaced the factory subwoofers, so used the existing connection.

mQa is dead!

My son has a 2018 STi and a good ear.  Fortunately, he also has a good job, because he had a top local shop do a complete build of a serious custom system for it.  After looking at all of the options discussed in this thread and listening to many, he concluded that none of them was good enough to justify the work and cost. I have to admit that the sound is stellar, but he spent far more than I think is reasonable.  Interestingly, since he discovered remote streaming from my servers, he only listens to "our" FLACs using JRMC's panel - so I built a separate Raspberry Pi server for his use.

We've both upgraded the OE speakers in several of our cars over the years to good effect, and he always adds a sub (which is nice but not necessary for me to be happy).   I've been driving an FR-S since 2013 and find the stock system to be more than tolerable when streaming my FLACs from my phone via BT.

I've never used an aftermarket auto system because my car's not my living room.  I listen through the system rather than to it, and music's music even if the band isn't in the car with me.  I use my money for stuff that has a higher marginal return of pleasure for me :) 

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

My son has a 2018 STi and a good ear.  Fortunately, he also has a good job, because he had a top local shop do a complete build of a serious custom system for it.  After looking at all of the options discussed in this thread and listening to many, he concluded that none of them was good enough to justify the work and cost. I have to admit that the sound is stellar, but he spent far more than I think is reasonable.  Interestingly, since he discovered remote streaming from my servers, he only listens to "our" FLACs using JRMC's panel - so I built a separate Raspberry Pi server for his use.

We've both upgraded the OE speakers in several of our cars over the years to good effect, and he always adds a sub (which is nice but not necessary for me to be happy).   I've been driving an FR-S since 2013 and find the stock system to be more than tolerable when streaming my FLACs from my phone via BT.

I've never used an aftermarket auto system because my car's not my living room.  I listen through the system rather than to it, and music's music even if the band isn't in the car with me :) 

Jealous on all fronts. I've dreamt about an STi for years. 

If you could PM me what your son put in his car, I'd be very appreciative.