IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

1 hour ago, drjimwillie said:

Hello Friends

How does Stylus sound different from StylusEP?

To see if there was an answer to this, I went back in this thread about a year from when StylusEP was released and read the entire thread in the last couple of days, but there is no direct comparison.

Use the search term "StylusEP" and then filter posts (in all topics) by me and @romaz. Here's an example search URL for posts by me. At the time Željko was developing StylusEP, we did a lot of beta testing back and forth, and I'm sure we both posted our impressions of Roon vs. Roon+StylusEP vs. Stylus.

You might also look at this post: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=994331 While my own subjective impressions are that the gap between Roon+StylusEP is larger, you get the idea.

If I have a high power One box server with a good power supply, designed for running stylus by itself, connected directly to the DAC, how does this sound different from having the same one box server playing only StylusEP connected directly to the DAC. 

The reason I ask is because I currently have a one box server connected directly to the DAC and I have Roon on my NAS. This way any processing that Roon does, and I see the hard drive light on my NAS indicating a lot of activity for Roon, removed from my server so that all my server does is process files.

So, if my high-quality dedicated stylus server, is fed by a good quality server,  that is handling just Roon, the only way I can do this is to have stylus EP installed on my server. 

Because @romaz did some extensive experiments (search his posts on the novel thread) where he found that the server's quality had an equally profound impact on SQ as the endpoint. Holding the endpoint constant, he varied the server by CPU speed and PSU quality, and chronicled his findings.  

What other functionality am I losing by doing this? Does StylusEP allow you to do core isolation?

Certainly. StylusEP runs under the process name "gstp" so you do core isolation using that name.

Also, does the Roon server have to be running Euphony?  Currently the server that is going to run Roon is running AudioLinux. I thought I had read someplace that someone was running two servers one had AL and the other had Euphony.   But I did not find it here, it was probably on the “novel “thread?

No, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure in the early days I was running Roon Core on AL and Roon Bridge on Euphony OS. I think by the time StylusEP came around, I may have switched over to Euphony on both.

(really I just want to run Stylus, and feed it a stream like I would from Tidal or Qobuz, but have it come from a different computer. But that functionality does not exist – Yet)

I believe you can run Stylus on the server, and StylusEP on the endpoint. I haven't tried this, but I think this is a valid use case.

I can only tell you my own experience. For me, a single all-in-one high quality server running Stylus is the best SQ.

You should just try them and decide for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Thanks Rajiv. 

Are there any sound quality improvements with this update?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Please clarify if I'm not understanding your question. I wasn't describing a new release. The current release of 20201316 has been out for a month. This release did add a couple of nice performance improvements shown in bold:

- Added option to optimize UI (remove CPU intensive animations on client side)
- In File View, album folders now have cover image
- UPnP convert to WAV option added (before, all online sources were converted)
- Added Expert option to specify RAM size used for buffering (default is half of your total RAM)
- Fixed 'Song not found' problem when using '100% buffering' and 'Use cache' options at the same time 
- Stylus will now pick up volume changes done on UPnP device
- Other fixes to UPnP playback

The issue I described was actually a bug I happened to notice due to an interaction between "buffering" and "caching."

UPDATE: Željko did provide me with a bug fix to try, and so far, it seems to be working great. He's hoping to put out this fix with other planned fixes in a feature update soon.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, I know.  The picture below is the screen I was at... The problem appears to be the machine, when booted from the Euphony USB has problems remaining connected to the network even though it is hardwired. I rebooted it all and it was then able to be discovered on the local network...  Signing into Roon though continued to give network errors...

I booted it back into Mac OS and Roon Server and HQPlayer are working fine, which is what I want all along.

IMG_4714 2.jpeg

It's been a while since I did this, but I recall on first boot from a USB stick, it can take several minutes for the system to fully configure. In fact, it says on that screenshot to wait 4-6 minutes. I'd give it another shot and let the system be for a spell. When the system is fully configured, you'll also see the IP address of the system displayed in a light blue (cyan?) font above the login prompt. 

After that, it should be fully functional. Subsequent boots won't incur this delay.

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yep, you're right, another boot did it. But I was never able to get music to output. It kept giving me network errors, HQPlayer errors, and I was unable to sign into Roon Core with the username and password I know was right because I copy and pasted it from 1password, unless I need a NEW password for the Euphony device?

What "audio system" are you starting on the Euhony web UI? I'd start with just Roon core just to get that path working. I'm not an HQPlayer user, so others will have to advise on that. Once you start Roon core, go to the Settings and make sure your DAC is visible, and use the pull down to ensure all the usual settings you use (in my case, for example, DoP, fixed volume) are correct.

As for Roon, not sure why you're having login issues, I've not had any trouble there.

If problems persist, open a support ticket. Željko is very responsive. Keep in mind he's in the Central European timezone, as he's located in Croatia.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

humm...doesn’t work for me..there is always a second or two gap between songs. Is there a setting to turn this on/off ?

Not sure what to tell you. I use Stylus standalone (single machine), outputting to my USB-connected HMS/DAVE. Are you using Stylus > HQPlayer or something? If so, all bets are off - I don't know about that path.

Also, do you have buffering and caching flags ON?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Careful here....

The standard rollback mechanism rolls back to the last major release - in my case 20190918.

This means that you'd lose all the wonderful features incrementally introduced in the last 9 months.

The rollback function appears to be an emergency step should you be having catastrophic issues with a new release.

I haven't had a notification since my current 20200430, which most users appear to be on. So flkin may be in a minority that got accidentally sent a WIP/Beta release. But unless there is something terribly wrong with it, I'd probably just wait for the next update rather than roll back. I guess you could probably subsequently do an update after the rollback, but seems like a lot of faffing about for a non-emergency situation.

Yup, I'm on 0430 too, and Željko confirmed it was the last released feature update.

I honestly can't think of much feature-wise that I'm missing in this version, so I'm happy to stay on it.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, cat6man said:

well, that makes the trial pretty useless.

can anyone confirm that ramroot is not supported in trial?

A long time has passed since I was in trial mode, so I honestly don't know. As others have mentioned, have you raised a support ticket?

Also, the current build is 20200430, not sure why your trial version is so out of date. 

3 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Hi Rajiv, I guess you are using the Squeezebox protocol? Unfortunately the HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP doesn't work anymore with the current version. Therefore I have reverted one of my two Euphony NUCs to version 430. Another support ticket. Poor Željko. 🙂

Actually no — I also use HQPlyaer protocol, but I didn't get around to actually testing it on Roon, as I was playing around with Stylus and the updated options in HQPlayer. Good catch! It doesn't work for me too.

48 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Version 712 is released and HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP is working again! 

Awesome, I updated to 0712, and Roon+StylusEP with HQPlayer protocol is now working for me too, just based on a quick test.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, davide256 said:

is there a process name for embedded HQPlayer that core isolation should be tried with as with gstp for Euphony? I searched the site and

couldn't find a process name for HQPlayer

33 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

hqplayerd

Just to add to the answer already provided, for future reference — an easy way to identify the process name is to just click on the "Apply" button for the CPU Isolation line in Expert settings. You get a list of currently running processes, along with the current CPU assignments. A glance through this list would have shown you pretty quickly that the answer was "hqplayerd."

You do have to have the appropriate audio service running, though. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Does anyone know if min frequency functions now?  I haven't found that it does.

Yes, the min frequency setting really does not get used by the Euphony OS. This is by design. Željko can confirm. Euphony OS runs with the CPU governor set to "performance." See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling

This causes the CPU to run at the "max frequency" all the time. The reason this does not cause CPU temps to rise is because on native sample rate server/renderers on Euphony, the CPU is mostly idle. When a core goes idle, it enters into a halted state (C-state). This is an extremely low energy state.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, kraftundkultur said:

I have a question.

In expert mode, what to set in the ethtool command line params?

So far I have not seen a dissertation on this here

ethtool command line params.jpg

Search back on this thread. Use the search function on the top of the screen, and limit the search to "this topic."

Remember, these are expert settings, so there is no need to use them unless you a) have a specialized need, and b) know what you're doing. In this case, you need to know enough about the use of the Linux ethtool command to use this safely. In the past, when I was a Euphony OS user, I've used this to:

1. override auto negotiation, to force the interface down to 100Mbps: eth1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
  2. override EEE during the early months of the etherRegen, when this was an issue being resolved: --set-eee eth1 eee off

"Normal" users don't need to (and shouldn't) mess with this, as you could lose connectivity!