IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Additional update after playing many music files.  While DSD 256 sounds better, the lower resolution files (both PCM and DSD 64, 128) sound worse with RAM root.  After turning off RAM root and reboot the system, I am getting back what I used to hear from previous version.

With RAM root, Euphony occasionally has problems with not displaying album artwork and sometimes not responding to folder/track changes.

Music server builder

I am having problem with Euphony registration (not trial but proper license).  Even though my internet connection is good, Euphony keeps giving warning message about no internet connection, hence registration cannot work.  Anyone else seeing this problem?  I am using Intel NUC7i5BNH with wired LAN connection.  I was trying to reinstall the RAMroot vs official release for comparison.

Music server builder

9 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Tried OS in RAM, wasn't pleased. Vocal harmonics for female "crooners" on soundtracks in "A Beautiful mind" developed harmonic dissonance, overall sound while detailed seemed blunted compared to stock Euphony goodness. Think I'll go the Optane SSD route for boot drive.

I had the same experience.  It's like Euphony is trying to produce more details than necessary.  Based on my observation, "Buffer before Play" may not work properly with RAM root option - I can see the HDD light blinking most of the time.

Music server builder

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Are you using Stylus? "Buffer before play = 100%" and "Use cache" are only applicable to the Stylus server.

I am using Stylus and play from local USB music SSD.  "Buffer before play = 100%" always checked and "use cache" always unchecked.

Let me clarify after additional observations.  Apparently for all versions, RAM root or not, for the first folder I "Add & Play" after boot, a green box appears with "Playing dir ....  from song number:1".  When changing tracks, the orange small box "Buffering" never shows up.

The second folder I "Add & Play" after boot, the green box appears with 

Buffering
Playing dir ... from song number:1

When changing tracks, the orange small box "Buffering" shows up.

So it seems there is no buffering for the first folder we selected and played.  I hope others can share their observation too.

Music server builder

• 3 weeks later...

Per my email with Željko, this 20190910 latest release has dynamic support for DSD native playback.  No need to recompile kernel anymore in order to support DSD Native playback for new DACs.

From Željko: Go to Card Info dialog and notice new UI for setting your card DSD format - click set and then power off/on the DAC or just detach and reattach it.

Music server builder

It seems Euphony is getting more advanced now and it is very good that the RAM root features have been properly documented.

I am not sure how many software developers are there to continue supporting Euphony.  Initially my emails were replied by Robert, recently my emails were replied by Željko.  Are there any others?

Music server builder

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use PTS Server but Intel NUC7i5BNH with LPSU and music on local 2TB SSD.  I am very happy with Euphony Stylus.

If the PTS Server comes with switched mode AC-DC adapter, I suggest you upgrade to 12V 4A linear power supply.  China-made brands like Zerozone low-noise LPSU with R-core transformer is reasonably priced but very good.  You can get them from ebay.  Please ensure your order with 5.5mm outer x 2.5mm inner barrel connector / center positive +.

Despite already having 19V 4.2A Zerozone R-core LPSU powering my Intel NUC, recently I added iFi DC iPurifier2 and it lowers the background noise even further.  Not every expensive upgrade but very significant improvement in SQ.

Music server builder

30 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Off current topic,  but want to confirm that Euphony Stylus can do native DSD correct ? Can it do DSD512 ?

I have tried DSD 256 with DoP and also native DSD with my Marantz SA-10 used as USB DAC.  However, specific to my DAC, when native DSD is used, there are some problems switching from PCM to DSD - it caused the DAC to freeze.  Adding DAC delay does not help either.  So I just use DoP since I can't tell if there is any SQ difference.

I don't know about DSD 512.  There is no studio recordings done natively in DSD 512.  DSD 512 albums being sold today are all upsampled, even though some companies called it remodulation.

Please note that the latest version of Euphony has dynamic native DSD.  email reply I received from Željko on Sept 11th:

"We implemented dynamic support for DSD native playback - we won't need to recompile kernel anymore in order to support DSD Native playback for new DACs.

Go to Card Info dialog and notice new UI for setting your card DSD format - click set and then power off/on the DAC or just detach and reattach it."

Music server builder

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Also I am unable to undo the Ramroot despite rebooting after disabling it ?!   SO I am stuck with RAMRoot.  I have about 30% RAM used now with RAMroot. I am not sure if there is a lot of improvement esp I can't go back to non-RAMroot to compare! 

I don't have this problem.  I boot Euphony from NVMe SSD inside NUC.  After disabling Ramroot from Advanced Settings, it takes a few seconds before the system is ready for shutdown.  It takes a lot longer if Euphony is booted from USB stick.  The next reboot should be quicker without Ramroot. 

I suggest you connect HDMI output to a monitor or TV and check the messages during boot.

Music server builder

• 2 months later...

- Added option to buffer entire Queue to RAM

With my 16 GB RAM NUC7i5BNH, it seems the RAM buffer is limited to 8 GB.  So far this is not a problem, including when buffering a folder with DSD256 album.  The "i" info per playlist item will change from white to blue indicating buffering is done.

Music server builder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, organics1 said:

So, is my little Partaker fanless pc with 4GB of RAM useless when it comes to the big DSD files? Currently, I'm using Daphile and I have no problem whatever with those files, some of which are double, quad, and octuple rates, and bigger than 8GB.

I was just days away from making the Euphony OS purchase when I ran across this thread. Glad I kept searching for reviews and info.

Is the company working on a fix? Or is Euphony and DSD just not the best match without huge computer resources?

Euphony can play DSD, no issues with huge computer resources.  The problem I reported was about buffering the whole album (or whole songs in playlist) when it exceeds 8GB.  If the buffering of whole songs in playlist is turned off, Euphony will only buffer (read into memory) the next song to be played.

My NUC7iBNH has 16GB RAM.  Even when ramroot is disabled, Euphony allocates max 8GB for buffering and O/S.  I hope this limitation can be fixed.

Music server builder

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My initial impression about Version 20210217 is that it sounds better without RAM root.  The sound of 20210217 without RAM root is almost similar to 20210108 with RAM root.  Version 20210217 with RAM root sounds more digital and lacks warmth.

Since the boot time without RAM root is faster and Euphony is more stable without RAM root, I like this new development.  My Euphony sometimes has album artwork display problem when running with RAM root  - the artwork is not displayed properly despite artwork picture file inside each music folder.

Music server builder

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BTO said:

Could anybody help me in the following?

I use Euphony app from android where the app goes to offline after short time then it takes 3-6 secs to wake up. Quite disturbing when I just move to other app then return in 10-20 secs when I need to wait 3-6secs to reach Euphony app to make any play action.

I experienced similar thing before.  Google "prevent Android app from going to sleep" and you will see instructions on how to do the app setting.

Music server builder

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Euphony users, I am using 20210217v3.  I keep getting ENOTFOUND errors despite having good network connection.  I don't have this issue with earlier versions of Euphony.

Anyone else seeing ENOTFOUND problem?  Thanks.

Screenshot_20210320-221235_Euphony.jpg

Screenshot_20210320-222353_Euphony.jpg

Music server builder

Thanks for the replies.  euphony20210217v3.img is the filename of downloaded image, most people here called this version 217, the version which I prefer.  More on that in another posting.

I no longer use NUC7i5 with iFi Micro USB, right now using AsRock J5040-ITX (Pentium Silver) with DIY multi-rail linear PSU based on LT1764A regulators.  I need to update my system profile and pictures.

Željko spent a bit of time checking my system's log files and debug remotely.  Apparently the ENOTFOUND issue was caused by my router not having iPv6 enabled.  I use TP-Link MR600 4G+ router but the mobile carrier is only using iPv4.  After I enabled iPv6 inside the router, the ENOTFOUND errors are no longer seen.

Music server builder

• 1 month later...

My preferred Euphony version remains 217.  My DAC is actually a CD/SACD player (Marantz SA-10), so every streamer or Euphony versions I tried, I compare its SQ with internal rendering by SA-10, either playing discs or from USB thumb drive attached behind, which I consider my reference SQ since there are no other external components involved, everything happened inside SA-10.

217 comes really close to matching the SQ of SA-10 rendering, but not the other Euphony versions.  My streamer: DIY multi-rail LPSU powering ASRock J5040-ITX Pentium Silver with turbo boost turned off.  Separate 5V rails for SSDs.  Apacer consumer grade RAM, 32GB total.  I use Stylus, playing music from SSD only.

Music server builder

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Hey, I wanted to report back for those who might be wrestling with jumping onto 421. I’ve spent some time now adjusting the rest of my system to accommodate 421.  I’ve found that I can make up some fullness and soundstage width through adjusting convolution. However, the performance gains in 421 (accuracy, clarity, detail) obviously can’t be reduplicated.

As the new sound is coming together the efforts to work with 421 are being well rewarded. 

I am getting used to 421 too, initially a bit reluctant, but now getting used to it.  It has better resolving ability; I can hear more details yet still musical.

Music server builder