IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC, Part 5: Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler & Hugo TT 2

I bought the Hugo TT 2 a few days ago after having bought the Qutest and traded back in a few days thinking ahead of the curve. This is spectacular. I'll get the M-Scaler sometime in the next six months to complete this. Crazy great and the headphone amp is superb. 

I will also recommend Justin at HeadAmp. Service is excellent.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, AbsolutK said:

I posted this over in the official TT2 thread at Head-Fi, but since the inspiration for much of this came from @ray-dude here, it's more fitting to share here also:

Thanks for posting this here.  I stopped monitoring that thread over there.

I created a pair of RCA<>binding post adapters (can post the tutorial if someone is interested) using the extra Furutech FT-867 binding posts I had from my DIY days and hooked up the IDEAs using a pair of Sablon Audio Panatela cables.

Yes please!

Yes, I am using just the 7wpc available through the RCA. Rated nominally at 4 ohms, and a sensitivity of a lowly 88 db/w/m, I wasn't expecting much from the IDEAs plugged into the TT2 directly, but BOY was I wrong.

Wow.  My 10Ts have a sensitivity around 86 dB if I remember correctly.  I should give this a try anyway.

Against Chord's recommendation, I decided to try a pair of 15v Farad Super3 on the TT2 and M Scaler. They got delivered today. While the TT2 sees a marginal benefit (I will report back when the Farads have broken in a little), the HMS steps into a different league. There is far more channel separation with instruments and vocals finding their place and staying solidly there. I also received my ferrites today and will be clamping them on to the Silver Dragons. By the way, the Chord units sit side by side on an HRS M3x.

I’m surprised you found the benefit marginal as a friend brought over his Super3 and I heard a significant improvement - but that was relative to the Poweradd battery (which was better than the power supply Chord provided).  We also tried powering my HMS with the Super3 and the improvement was significant there too.  We didn’t take the time to figure out which delivered the bigger improvement because what I heard was enough to convince me that I will need to eventually buy two of these.  I would welcome your thoughts once the Super3s have broken in.

Just some anecdotal info for anyone thinking of trying this route based on this thread's info!

Thanks again for sharing!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Judging the amp section alone, has anybody compared the TT2 to the Nelson Pass HPA-1?

I'm looking into the either the TT2 or a combination of Qutest + Pass for my headphone playback. I know the TT2 has more features for about $200-300 less than the Qutest/Pass combo, but cross-feed and possibly IEM playback don't matter to me really. Not counting the addition of an M Scaler, the amount of taps in the TT2 seems to be the feature the Qutest truly lacks over the TT2, at least for my intended use.

Have not heard the Pass amp to be honest, but since it was apparently voiced with the HD800s and LCD-X in mind (have the HD800 and LCD-XC), I am wondering if choosing a DAC/amp combo makes sense.

11 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Hi guys,

Judging the amp section alone, has anybody compared the TT2 to the Nelson Pass HPA-1?

I'm looking into the either the TT2 or a combination of Qutest + Pass for my headphone playback. I know the TT2 has more features for about $200-300 less than the Qutest/Pass combo, but cross-feed and possibly IEM playback don't matter to me really. Not counting the addition of an M Scaler, the amount of taps in the TT2 seems to be the feature the Qutest truly lacks over the TT2, at least for my intended use.

Have not heard the Pass amp to be honest, but since it was apparently voiced with the HD800s and LCD-X in mind (have the HD800 and LCD-XC), I am wondering if choosing a DAC/amp combo makes sense.

Hi Bob,

Sorry, I have not experienced the HPA-1, so cannot give you direct impressions.

That said, it would take an exceptional amp for me me to consider Qutest+amp to be a better investment than a TT2. Especially since we are talking about headphones like the HD800 and LCD-XC, which the TT-2 drives with ease. Had it been the Susvara or Abyss AB-1266 TC, which are hardwe to drive, the case for an amp would be stronger.

I cannot stress strongly enough just how exceptional of a headphone amp the TT2 has. And one of the hallmarks of the TT2, like all of Rob's DACs, is the level of transparency you get from driving headphones (or indeed even high efficiency speakers) directly from the DAC.

I believe I elaborated on this in the review.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

That said, it would take an exceptional amp for me me to consider Qutest+amp to be a better investment than a TT2. Especially since we are talking about headphones like the HD800 and LCD-XC, which the TT-2 drives with ease. Had it been the Susvara or Abyss AB-1266 TC, which are hardwe to drive, the case for an amp would be stronger.

Thank you for your reply. What you wrote make total sense.

I just also learned that Pass recommends the HPA-1 to be on at all times for max performance. I assume the TT2 being a more "digital" component than the Pass warm up is less of an issue?

3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Thank you for your reply. What you wrote make total sense.

I just also learned that Pass recommends the HPA-1 to be on at all times for max performance. I assume the TT2 being a more "digital" component than the Pass warm up is less of an issue?

I’d say the opposite of that assumption. Clocks/crystals can take quite a while to completely stabilize. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have had quite a few DACs in my systems over time.  One of the BEST was the Schiit Yggdrasil.  I live in the Midwest and when we have bad weather I would unplug everything “just in case”.  That DAC did not stabilize for at least two days.   I have had others tell me that the YGGY takes even longer in their systems.  On the analog side I used the Ayre AX-5 Twenty integrated amp and if it was off you could hear it change over a couple of hours, from standby it would take maybe 5 min.

As a side note I am now using Kii Three speakers in my main system and they automatically switch to standby after about 15 minutes.  I Think that I can hear a little difference in the first few minutes of operation.  

It is fun to actually test this in a system... 

I echo Bob and Chris's general comments above. I personally leave my digital gear on 24x7.

Per Rob's post on the subject:

But when you are in standby mode (power off on the front panel) the FPGA remains powered up all the time (so the remote still works) but the rest of the power hungry circuitry is shut down. So no FPGA boot up phase when you switch the front panel power switch.

A lot of people choose to put their TT2 in standby when not in use, but I belong in the "leave it on 24x7" camp. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the "heads up" on keeping power on 24/7. Checked in over at HeadFi and Rob Watts checks in on the thread and corroborated that.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 1 year later...

I created a pair of RCA<>binding post adapters (can post the tutorial if someone is interested)

OK, this this just under two years late, but they say it's better late than never. The truth is that I took an unexpectedly long pause between the electrical/functional completion of the adapters and building the housing. I was embarrassed to share my half-baked work and just completed the housing. Here's hoping this tutorial for the adapter helps one of the growing list of Chord DAC owners!

Obligatory completed picture first.

Note, that I used the choicest materials because I knew this IS the signal path, just amplified. But you are welcome to use any components that fit your budget and or ethos.

1. Ingredients needed:

1. Required
    1. 1x RCA pair (I chose Eichmann Silver Bullets)
    2. 2x Binding Post pair (I chose the Furutech Low Mass model, FT-867, which is now superseded by the FT-809. The only metal is one solid core OCC copper wire)
    3. 2 ft wire (I chose 18 gauge solid core OCC Silver, though I am worried about the solid core's strength over time; I'd choose longer, but that would get expensive super fast)
    4. Soldering iron and good solder
  2. Optional
    1. 4x Quick dis/connect terminals (if using Furutech FT series Binding Posts) 
    2. Tubing
    3. Heat Shrink
    4. Strain Relief
    5. Housing

2. RCA End

1. Cut the 18g silver wire into 4x 6in wire, noting the direction.
    1. Mark the direction on each cut so both your channels are using the same direction
    2. If I were being pedantic, the ground wires should flow the opposite of signal 
  2. Open the RCA plugs
  3. Strip about 3mm of the solid core wire and solder it to the center pin
    1. Use flux and make sure the solder fills the cup around the solid core wire
    2. Optionally, heat shrink it
  4. Optionally, add tubing and heat shrink to provide some protection

3. Binding Post End

1. Strip about 10mm of the solid core wire
    1. Optionally, add a strain relief at this point. It will be difficult to add them later if you are using the quick dis/connect terminals.  
  2. Crimp on the quick dis/connect terminals
    1. Loop the newly stripped wire and insert into the quick dis/connect terminal tube. Hold on crimper as shown and crimp away. Try to ignore the painful sound of cracking plastic. If anyone has found a better way to use these terminals, please let me know.
    2. Mark the +ve and -ve terminals
  3. Connect the terminals to the binding posts
    1. The center pin is positive and will connect to the Red binding post
    2. The ground pin is negative and will connect to the Black binding post

You are done electrically! Feel free to make these sturdy on the Binding Post side in whichever way you feel:

1. Add tubing and/or heat shrink 
  2. Use electrical or kapton tape, or like my, painters tape to use the adapter till the housing is made
  3. Build a housing by using CNC milled plywood

Cheers!

• 1 year later...