IGNORED

Problems with 2018 Macs USB?

That's horrible.  I guess people can stop pretending that Apple cares about music.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I have an 18 core iMac Pro, using different USB DACs, including iFi (usb3), Holo Audio Spring 2 (usb3), Singxer SU-1 (usb2), Heed Abacus (usb2) for example, and got no problem with the USB connection using 10.14.3 and 10.14.4 beta 2 (developer beta). The Holo Spring 2 can be used up to 1,536 kHz in 16 bit but does not work in 24 bit above 768 kHz.

However there is a problem with Merging Hapi, using Ethernet connection, oficailly it is not compatible with 10.14. and works only with 10.13.6 or earlier. nerving was kind enough to send me the beta of their new driver and it is compatible with 10.14. 3 and 4 beta 2 as well, I tried it with a MacBook Pro,  and iMac pro and Mac Mini as well. 

if you have a MacBook Pro with TB3 connection try to use an Elgato TB3 dock and connect your USB d/a converter to the dock. I am using a 20V, 10A linear PSU to power the dock and all the USB devices too and it sounds very good this way. . 

6 hours ago, ferenc said:

I have an 18 core iMac Pro, using different USB DACs, including iFi (usb3), Holo Audio Spring 2 (usb3), Singxer SU-1 (usb2), Heed Abacus (usb2) for example, and got no problem with the USB connection using 10.14.3 and 10.14.4 beta 2 (developer beta). The Holo Spring 2 can be used up to 1,536 kHz in 16 bit but does not work in 24 bit above 768 kHz.

However there is a problem with Merging Hapi, using Ethernet connection, oficailly it is not compatible with 10.14. and works only with 10.13.6 or earlier. nerving was kind enough to send me the beta of their new driver and it is compatible with 10.14. 3 and 4 beta 2 as well, I tried it with a MacBook Pro,  and iMac pro and Mac Mini as well. 

if you have a MacBook Pro with TB3 connection try to use an Elgato TB3 dock and connect your USB d/a converter to the dock. I am using a 20V, 10A linear PSU to power the dock and all the USB devices too and it sounds very good this way. . 

Now this is a useful post.

No electron left behind.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, rickca said:

That's horrible.  I guess people can stop pretending that Apple cares about music.

Apple has NEVER cared about quality sound.  Never.  There are various threads here concerning DACs not having the proper drivers after an  "update".   

Don't forget the Apple workforce is populated by young people who have never heard a real stereo, much less an audiophile approved system.   To these whippersnappers, a $25 ear bud is the high end.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

On 2/20/2019 at 12:44 AM, bobfa said:

There are other USB issues with Macs I have had to put a USB hub on my iMac (2017) so that I can keep my LYR3 up and running.  Without the Hub Roon keeps loosing the DAC.

I've had zero issues 'recognition' issues with five different DACs on my 2017 iMac. I have had issues with EMI on some DACs, which I consequently returned.

Were you using the USB-A or USB-C ports to connect your DAC?

On 2/20/2019 at 10:15 AM, AudioDoctor said:

The T2 chip is why I decided to get away from direct USB connections and go to a network connection.  Any why I have not bought a new Mac just yet. my 2017 iMac is identical to the one you can get now, until they upgrade that with the T2 chip as well.

I'm planning to buy a 2019 iMac as soon as they come out, but I guess I will have to keep an eye on this issue.

My desktop Sprout is the only audio device I have connected via USB, and a $150 investment in a certified Thunderbolt dock isn't that big of a deal. I'll probably need the extra ports anyway.

57 minutes ago, Taz777 said:

I've had zero issues 'recognition' issues with five different DACs on my 2017 iMac. I have had issues with EMI on some DACs, which I consequently returned.

Were you using the USB-A or USB-C ports to connect your DAC?

The issue is with the WYRD.  The power control on the Mac disables it all the time and I have power on/off remount in Roon.  Schiit knows about it and there is nothing that they can do.  Put in a USB hub and it works.   USBA 

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

The issue is with the WYRD.  The power control on the Mac disables it all the time and I have power on/off remount in Roon.  Schiit knows about it and there is nothing that they can do.  Put in a USB hub and it works.   USBA 

That's funny because the Schiit WYRD is a USB hub.  Must be something about the way they run the VBUS in it or the suspend state stuff because our original USB REGEN uses the same model SMSC hub chip as the WYRD.