IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

As my laptop has only USB port, is it possible to get an USB to fireware 4 pin adapter and then connect it to the Mytek firewire port for firmware updating?

Hi Tachi! Fancy seeing you here, I was just about to reply to you in the xtremeplace thread. Is there even an adapter like that? I would suggest getting a express card with firewire connectors instead... like this:-

Capture.JPG

Laptop / Notebook Combo IEEE1394a & IEEE1394b 3 Firewire Ports ExpressCard /34mm | eBay

Folks, I've read quite a few pages of this discussion, and enjoyed every one. On good recommendation (from no less than ted_b) I bought a Mytek 192, and took receipt today. I've been in heaven for hours. DSD is brilliant, as expected, but PCM sounds truly phenomenal as well. If anyone is one the fence, don't be put off by the chintzy-looking pictures -- this unit is hefty, like it was made of solid metal. Not necessary, sure, but reassuring.

I'm using the Mytek with JRiver MC18 on a purpose-built machine. it's not a C.A.P.S., but it borrows a lot of good ideas from the design. I avoided USB in all its incarnations, however, and just put the Mytek on Firewire. I always liked Firewire better anyhow.

I'm using JRiver's ASIO output, leaving bitdepth and sample rate unchanged (unless under 44.1 or over 192), and bitstreaming to DSD (not DoP). I've basically set everything to turn that blue light on, if at all possible.

Is there another school of thought on how to best use this amazing tool? WASAPI and DoP? Upsample everything in the player to 192? Just spitballin' here...

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

Can I ask/hope to have a sw control panel for the Mytek: volume, input, filters, etc... or it's a crime of lese-majeste...? :)

Eg: [ATTACH=CONFIG]4556[/ATTACH]

Who knows as something like that could add $1000 or $2000.00 more to a rather find unit for the price...

The Truth Is Out There

Who knows as something like that could add $1000 or $2000.00 more to a rather find unit for the price...

The example, Antelope Gold, is 3x the price of the Mytek. There is no free lunch.

Esprit, I think you bought the wrong DAC! And Igor and friends at Antelope are promising DSD firmware this calendar year. The Gold has been the only DAC I've owned that presented a VERY good preamp remote volume function, enough to remove my preamp from the game. But again, with Voltikus power supply it retails for 3X-4X what a Mytek retails for.

Esprit,

Getting off topic here but....I have the Matrix X-SPDIF in my hands right now (just opened the box) and they are sending me the DAC in a couple weeks. They like that I have DSD experience so are looking forward to a review. I told them I'd look at the nice $250 XMOS-based SPDIF USB converter while waiting for the DAC.

I told them I'd look at the nice $250 XMOS-based SPDIF USB converter while waiting for the DAC.
I think it could be a great piece of gear. I will wait for your review here or where you publish it (I hope to read something about the X-SPDIF).

End of the OT

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that i sold recently my mytek (it will be missed) and i have a spare Firewire Cable - NEO by Oyaide - d+1394, 6Pin/9Pin (400/800) with 1mt. that i won't use anymore, if anyone's interested please drop me a pm.

P.S.-(i hope this message doesn't break any rules, if so, i kindly ask the admin to remove it immediately)

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that i sold recently my mytek (it will be missed) and i have a spare Firewire Cable - NEO by Oyaide - d+1394, 6Pin/9Pin (400/800) with 1mt. that i won't use anymore, if anyone's interested please drop me a pm.

P.S.-(i hope this message doesn't break any rules, if so, i kindly ask the admin to remove it immediately)

Victor what are you now using DAC wise

The Truth Is Out There

Victor what are you now using DAC wise

Chord QuteHD it's on is way, after a frustrated attempt of downgrading with the M-DAC...

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Hi Valenroy,

My laptop (HP 4421s) does not have a express card slot.

Hi Tachi! Fancy seeing you here, I was just about to reply to you in the xtremeplace thread. Is there even an adapter like that? I would suggest getting a express card with firewire connectors instead... like this:-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4553[/ATTACH]

Laptop / Notebook Combo IEEE1394a & IEEE1394b 3 Firewire Ports ExpressCard /34mm | eBay

Am I the only crazy, who listens differences, changing Operation Mode in Dice Control?

I'm going to look for a lunatic asylum... :)

I tried each setting only to see if it would correct a dropout problem I was having. It did not.

I believe this setting exists to help resolve latency problems - and that once set it should be left alone.

So yes, you may be the only one who messes with that setting. :-)

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I'm working on setting my clocks on 2 Myteks. I'm looking at the user manual at the menu tree for the Mytek so I know how to change my clock settings. On the input twig the menu system goes straight from ADAT to Analog. There is no SDIF selection.

Any ideas? Thanks.

David

Am I the only crazy, who listens differences, changing Operation Mode in Dice Control?

I'm going to look for a lunatic asylum... :)

nope. i do too. I find the latest 4.1.1 version of the windows TC Dice Software to sound best, the smoothest. Normal operation mode selected, and a buffer of 96 sounds best (the buffer selected for 96 while playing a 44.1khz file as the buffer size changes automatically in v4.1.1 for higher res files). I've found buffer size has a slight, but noticeable influence on sound - ranging from hard to smooth.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

nope. i do too. I find the latest 4.1.1 version of the windows TC Dice Software to sound best, the smoothest. Normal operation mode selected, and a buffer of 96 sounds best (the buffer selected for 96 while playing a 44.1khz file as the buffer size changes automatically in v4.1.1 for higher res files). I've found buffer size has a slight, but noticeable influence on sound - ranging from hard to smooth.

Have you managed DSD playback using the 4.1.1 drivers for DICE? It seems that, using Jriver, I am not able anymore to playback DSD either via wasapi or ASIO

Have you managed DSD playback using the 4.1.1 drivers for DICE? It seems that, using Jriver, I am not able anymore to playback DSD either via wasapi or ASIO

yep. works here. latest Jriver v18, wasapi event style - DSD over PCM (DoP 1.0)

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Being relatively new to the computer audiophilia syndrome (1 year ), I initially bought and have been a devoted (with the modifications I made) Peachtree Dacit guy.

I have avoided this thread, thinking that reading it will most certainly cost me money. I wasn't wrong. :0)

Thanks to Ted_b, Miska, and you others that have made such a great contribution about the subject of this Dac. As a result of all this great information I have taken the deep plunge, and ordered the Mytek today.

Although I have limited experience, I can still hear, and will share my impressions soon. Thanks again guys...

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz