IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Hi Guys,

My first post here so hello every one.

I just bought Mytek waiting for delivery ATM. I am going to use it with PC - are there any differences in SQ between USB and FW on this platform?

I am asking as I have to buy either of cables and would prefer to chose right one first time around.

BTW I am reading the thread slowly but it is huge.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

My first post here so hello every one.

I just bought Mytek waiting for delivery ATM. I am going to use it with PC - are there any differences in SQ between USB and FW on this platform?

I am asking as I have to buy either of cables and would prefer to chose right one first time around.

BTW I am reading the thread slowly but it is huge.

Thanks

most think FW sounds better;but YMMV if you have a good usb setup likethe SOTM card

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for replay - are you connecting through USB or FW and which one you prefer - also could you quickly summarize the difference between the connectors in terms of sound signature SQ?

hmm and does anybody know what is the impedance of HP out? Also is the HP AMP doing good job with low impedance high sensitive HPs?

Anybody can comment on alleged micro power cuts reported by French people?

Thanks

Ok I read some more and looks like I will go with FW connection. What FW interconnect can you recommend me that works well in your opinion with Mytek for PC use?

Also my two questions still stand as about the HP out impedance and problems reported by French people?

Thanks

An update here: I got in touch with Cookie, and her support was phenomenal.

I got my unit from Cookie at Blue Coast Records. I also did find the service she provided phenomenal. We seldom receive top notch service like this. As I requested they did a 200 hours burn-in and made sure everything was running smoothly. They also sent the unit very well packed with the carrier of my choice. I felt like I was treated by a very good friend.

Ok I read some more and looks like I will go with FW connection. What FW interconnect can you recommend me that works well in your opinion with Mytek for PC use?

This will depend on what firewire chipset is being used.

I got only bad results while using firewire (a lot of CPU consumption, quite unstable connection).

I think that firewire on a windows based machine isn't a good choice, at least most of the time, but YMMV ...

But you will need the firewire connection in anyway, as firmware updates can't be done using USB.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Read the thread :)

I am doing it but it is a long one :)

Anyway I already got most of the answers I was looking for but still wondering what USB / FW ICs would you recommend for Mytek.

I have a reward for the one who will share his experience on this one.

Anyway I already got most of the answers I was looking for but still wondering what USB / FW ICs would you recommend for Mytek.

In terms of FW connectivity in Win7 64 bit, I am using this card from Sonnet along with this cable from Oyaide. Both are reasonably priced if you look a bit around.

No reward needed. I have posted numerous times about the wonderful GoldX 24k firewire cables ($17). If you have fw800 then Granite Digital ($25) has a great firewire cable. The Oyen at $100 is good too. They are all much better than generic.

As far as USB cables, people are all over the place with these. Mine is a more expensive $400 Wireworld Platinum Starlight. I know of nothing in the sub-$100 that people are recommending, but try DH Labs (their .75M on my iFi power supply is nice), and iFi will sell theirs in the next 30 days ($50-75).

Thanks guys for suggestions. My budget is somehow limited at this moment even tough my imagination is not ;) (probably you know thet way ;))

I was thinking about getting Audiquest Forest FW IC (but will look at both suggestions from other posts) and Wireworld Starlight (the red one) as people seem to like it and it does not rob the bank.

Now I read something about that IC quality does not matter that much in case of USB / FW if the connection is asymmetrical which is the case for Mytek DAC.

I also read that Mytek is quite sensitive to AC quality and because that I am looking to get some upgraded power cord. Again it will be budget solution as I spent all my project money on the DAC already.

I was thinking about Wireworld Startus 5, I think it is called.

Any views on the above? Any more suggestions?

The Reward:

Free and completely legal source of 24/96 - 24/196 and DSD files ! Have a nice downloading of aprox 30gb of music :)

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

Cheers

Sebna,

Yes, the Mytek loves good power cables. if your system is on the neutral to analytical side a nice warmer Cardas or JPS Labs would be a good fit. Find used on Audiogon.

Yes, we use the 2L test bench a lot around here. I just used it yesterday to download huge DXD multichannel files (24/352.8k x 6) to test bandwidth on my CAPS V2+ going to the stacked Myteks (5.1 thread), while doing downsampling to 5.1 24/176k. They are huge, bugger than DSF multichannel, and causes my lowly CAPS V2+ to buffer like crazy. :). Their menu of formats and sample rates is very nice; one of the only places to find good DXD to download (for those with 352k capable DACs).

I will have for testing in home in few weeks 32/3xx capable DAC and I already downloaded all the available material from that site (100mbit connection :))

I am starting to wonder if it would not be more future proof to go for something capable of such high resolutions. How much of 24/3xx material there is?

Thanks for the hint about Audiogon forums will check it out also the cables which you recommended.

My system is Mytek + Denon's D7100 and a lot of FLAC material of which some is hi-def. D7100 are very coloured HPs so probably I will be looking to get as neutral cables as possible.

Any suggestions going this direction?

Thanks

Yes, call Greg at MG Audio Design. Best valued cables in the world, and real world pricing. I wrote a review about them, then bought the whole loom. But he has no power cords yet. For those i recommend Mark Coles at Sablon (or my used ideas above).

Although there is not a lot of 24/3xx material, to me the better question is: do any of the 24/3xx DACs sound better to you in redbook, DSD, etc. That's where you'll be using them 99% of the time anyway.

And how about conditioners - ^^ I know this is not thread for it but on the other hand my only equipment relevant is DAC and because it is Mytek I can as well ask about what works well with it in this department? Can you recommend me any quality conditioners?

I am using an old PS Audio UPC 200. My valve amp and the 2 DACs are drawing power thru it. They all sound better to my ears with the UPC 200. I also use non-stock power cables.

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

Burn-in

Is it enough to let it plugged in to the wall and turned constantly on as burn-in or should music be playing through it?

How did you do it guys?

I have this Tara burn-in flac which is cascading swipes through frequencies and other pink and rainbow colors noises ;)

What methods did you use?

Thanks

Music/tones must be played through it, not just powered on. I just played music and enjoyed. But left it in repeat 24/7 (amps don't need to be on). Sweeps are ok (XLO burn in track 9 is my fave cuz it contains more than sweeps) but good ole music is better.

Both the Kimber Cu and Ag are great. Silver plated connectors that are both crimped and soldered. Definitely well made. The Kimber Cu is 6.1% silver and is a great value in my opinion.

I'm selling the almost new 1m Kimber Cu for $60 shipped.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components-no-dealers/fs-1-0m-kimber-usb-b-bus-cu-14678/

Kimber Kable - B BUS Cu

The WireWorld Silver Starlight look very nice as well, and for a decent price.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future