IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Have put 110 hours on the Mytek. I can already notice a difference in sq, silkier-smoother? Difficult for me to put my finger on. Let's just say it sounds even better, if that's possible, since it sounded very good out of the box.

Had a remote issue, and Mytek has not missed a beat with it's timely and excellent response. They actually answer the phone! Mike and the guys not only build a tremendous Dac, but they actually take good care of their customers.

Purchased from Front End Audio. Those guys don't miss a beat either. A great retailer.

Has anyone tried s/pdif coax (without a converter) versus usb? I have an Asus Xonar card that gives me by-pass s/pdif out of the pc capability.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Hello Mav52,

Yep, Front End Audio setup shipping for last Friday from A Wednesday afternoon order, but our roads were so bad here, UPS couldn't get to me. I had to drive to the UPS shipping station to pick it up.

FEA was on the phone checking as to why UPS hadn't made the delivery, before I left the house. If I phone Mytek, they know about it and check to make sure everything was resolved. Your a lucky guy to have them right in your town. Think I'll stick with them from now on.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Has anyone tried s/pdif coax (without a converter) versus usb? I have an Asus Xonar card that gives me by-pass s/pdif out of the pc capability.

Mostly AES and Toslink. Toslink from ASUS Xonar DX worked just fine up to 192k and also with DSD. Same thing with AES.

I recommend using AES if possible since it has proper transformer isolation and I got clean jitter measurement results with it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Mostly AES and Toslink. Toslink from ASUS Xonar DX worked just fine up to 192k and also with DSD. Same thing with AES.

I recommend using AES if possible since it has proper transformer isolation and I got clean jitter measurement results with it.

Thanks for the response Miska. Was there any difference in sq that you detected between USB, and either AES or the Asus toslink?

Jim

Thanks for the response Miska. Was there any difference in sq that you detected between USB, and either AES or the Asus toslink?

I didn't compare since I didn't expect any major differences. Given the same content, I didn't notice anything immediately obvious.

Of course DSD128 is completely different thing and not available through AES/SPDIF.

I didn't compare since I didn't expect any major differences. Given the same content, I didn't notice anything immediately obvious.

Of course DSD128 is completely different thing and not available through AES/SPDIF.

Did go through a subjective comparison. No AES setup here, so just tested s/pdif coax against usb. Didn't notice any clear difference with these ears, if anything usb might have had a slight edge.

Not sure a usb - s/pdif converter is going to gain you much with this case. Mytek's 5 v. supply to usb is very good, and it appears that they have done a splendid job with jitter. I've insulated the +5 v. feed at the usb pc port to prevent any noise on the power lines. Will do the ground just as well when I get to it.

USB also allows dsd 128, so why mess with this mode?

Possibly others have had a different experience or thoughts about this issue?

Jim

USB also allows dsd 128, so why mess with this mode?

I've used it when I needed to connect to a Linux based computer with USB or when I need to use S/PDIF or AES/EBU for other reasons. In other Linux cases I'm fine with Firewire.

On Windows I use USB always unless I just need to do testing with Firewire.

I suspect I have a defective transformer, but it doesn't sound like its getting worse. Transformers shouldn't hum.

Actually, a lot of transformers have a small hum. Especially if you have an element of DC offset on your mains (which is perfectly normal).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Miska,

Can I confirm with you that you have managed to successfully upsample 1fs=48kHz PCM material to 3.072 & 6.144 MHz DSD on the Mytek (via ASIO & your HQPlayer)? I don't seem to be able to get the Mytek to decode such "overclocked" DSD though. Your affirmation is much appreciated!

Can I confirm with you that you have managed to successfully upsample 1fs=48kHz PCM material to 3.072 & 6.144 MHz DSD on the Mytek (via ASIO & your HQPlayer)? I don't seem to be able to get the Mytek to decode such "overclocked" DSD though. Your affirmation is much appreciated!

You need to use DoP to get those rates. USBPAL ASIO driver doesn't support selecting the 24.576 MHz clock for DSD mode, hopefully the driver limitation would be removed at some point.

You need to use DoP to get those rates. USBPAL ASIO driver doesn't support selecting the 24.576 MHz clock for DSD mode, hopefully the driver limitation would be removed at some point.

Thanks Miska, I do remember reading that DSD128 is not possible through DoP yet so how did you get it to work magically?!

Hi,

just discover a humming sound coming from my Mytek transformer, would like to check if anyone has this problem with their set.

If you can hear the transformer outside the case, then it's worthwhile to put up with the inconvenience of getting the Mytek changed. If any other device you have is quiet, the Mytek has the issue.

Alternatively, if you can analyse your AC supply, if the sine wave has a bottom -ve peak less than the +ve peak voltage, then you have a very bad dimmer, or other horrendous type AC chopper device causing that offset. There are DC blockers that if you can DIY, maybe some line conditioners have this feature built in. Line conditioners use so many spin words to fix up this that and the other, their real benefit is lost.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks Miska, I do remember reading that DSD128 is not possible through DoP yet so how did you get it to work magically?!

It won't work at the moment. But ASIO DSD at 5.6 MHz works also for 48k base rates as necessary, although I would rather stick with static 6.1 MHz.

3.0 MHz works fine though, over S/PDIF, Toslink, AES and Firewire. Didn't try USB but maybe with it too.

It won't work at the moment. But ASIO DSD at 5.6 MHz works also for 48k base rates as necessary, although I would rather stick with static 6.1 MHz.

3.0 MHz works fine though, over S/PDIF, Toslink, AES and Firewire. Didn't try USB but maybe with it too.

Thanks for the clarification Miska, ever so informative!

Thank you very much for your advice.

If you can hear the transformer outside the case, then it's worthwhile to put up with the inconvenience of getting the Mytek changed. If any other device you have is quiet, the Mytek has the issue.

Alternatively, if you can analyse your AC supply, if the sine wave has a bottom -ve peak less than the +ve peak voltage, then you have a very bad dimmer, or other horrendous type AC chopper device causing that offset. There are DC blockers that if you can DIY, maybe some line conditioners have this feature built in. Line conditioners use so many spin words to fix up this that and the other, their real benefit is lost.

My understanding is that the volume trim is supposed to work also in bypass mode since firmware version 1.63. I have firmware v1.71 installed, and in bypass mode the volume trim seems to have no effect.

Am I wrong?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yesterday I tried the USB (normally I use Firewire).

I opened Mytek_Digital_CPL, in the manual is written on page 19:

"NOTE!" VOLUME BYPASS "must be checked to guarantee Bit Transparency Ensuring proper DSD playback"

The problem is that I do NOT have Volume Bypass in my panel, so I can not select it.

Yesterday I tried the USB (normally I use Firewire).

I opened Mytek_Digital_CPL, in the manual is written on page 19:

"NOTE!" VOLUME BYPASS "must be checked to guarantee Bit Transparency Ensuring proper DSD playback"

The problem is that I do NOT have Volume Bypass in my panel, so I can not select it.

Hello Espirit;

Having arrived at "vol Ctrl" on your screen, then pressing the knob on the left side, you should see An Alog or dig ital. By then turning the knob you should see by PASS appear on the screen. Press the knob again to select. Does that get you there?

Jim