IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Sounds like a cable problem to me. The driver installed on Win 8 fine? The pc shows the driver and the card? Try turning off Mytek, attaching the cable, turning on Mytek and changing Mytek inputs to USB2 or something, then back to firewire. If nothing, I would suspect a cable problem.

Hello ted_b,

Updating the bios on my Asus P8Z77-m motherboard solved the problem. The update improved PCI and windows 8 compatibility which is all I needed. Thanks again.

Johnny

Thanks Miska, it is my impression that any converter can pass 21/176.4 can to the job, but still don't know why EVO can't.....and if the DoP can be sent into the mytek, can I use external clock to provide the source, such as esoteric G-02, which can provide these frequencies.

I suspect some software configuration problem or similar, since AFAIK, hiFace/Evo are identical from software point of view (same driver), and I guess the firmware is the same or at least very close.

22.5792 MHz would be the right Evo's clock frequency for normal DSD use.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

...OK, went back to check the OS version you were using... I tested on Win7 and you had Win8, but since the driver is the same, it shouldn't be an issue, but on the other hand, Win8 has still some "features" left here and there waiting to be "improved"...

I will try on win7, and see how it goes..thanks, miska.

Is there HT bypass option available on the Preamp version?

Thanks

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

Is there HT bypass option available on the Preamp version?

Thanks

As thestewman says, it has only one analog input. If you want to use that one input for HT bypass (meaning the front l/r's of your pre/pro or receiver, using the volume control of that HT source) then yes, simply run the Mytek in bypass mode...but there are no addtl inputs for anything else you'd do..except digital ones.

As thestewman says, it has only one analog input. If you want to use that one input for HT bypass (meaning the front l/r's of your pre/pro or receiver, using the volume control of that HT source) then yes, simply run the Mytek in bypass mode...but there are no addtl inputs for anything else you'd do..except digital ones.

Thanks Ted! That is what I wanted to know. I would use the analog input for front l/r.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

This was mentioned by Miska in the other TEAC UD-501 thread about bypassing the digital filtering of the BurrBrown PCM1795 chip to support 352.8/384 kHz PCM, which in turn allows for the simpler single conduit implementation of DSD128 of the DoP1.1 spec. I wonder whether this can be done for the Sabre 9016 chip in the Mytek as well? Perhaps Miska or Michal can shed some light in this particular subject? Imagine the possibility of DXD decoding for the Mytek as well? Now, wouldn't that be great...

Thanks for the quick refresh Esprit. I had always thought of the Mytek as one of the most versatile and feature-rich DACs available on the market and it still is. And I had always associated it with the diverse options and power that is bestowed upon the end-user. If it is just a matter of fact of implementation (DXD) through a firmware upgrade, then nothing is lost but rather, the Mytek would have gained another USP up its sleeves. So, Michal if you are reading this, as per your ethos, it's all about empowering the end-user by giving them choice. Be it upsampling to DXD or for DSD128 in DoP, providing us with another option would only make the current batch of users happier and make potential future ones more willing to part with their money for an all encompassing DAC that will see them through for many years to come. If a DAC at almost half of the cost the Mytek can execute it so effortlessly, I am sure it will only be you who is holding back?

p/s: I still love my Mytek nonetheless!

Adam

I may sound like a broken record but did you not day in November that new Mac drivers (firewire) are around the corner?

What is taking so long?

Hello Caligari,

We are testing the beta version of new 1.7.2. firmware for Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC.

All the best

Adam Bielewicz

How does one clear the errors count in the USB Pal Driver Control Panel on the Mytek Stereo 192 Dac.

Well best solution is not to have any errors: up the buffers. Driver Buffering has no effect on playback sonics. Only useful for recording. Otherwise I believe these counters are in play until you restart the driver with a different application, reboot etc.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

I think Michal's answer is that its not worth the trouble of implementing and testing for the limited amount of software out there. There would also be differences between Firewire and USB over higher rate capabilities making software development more complex and confusing for some users. In theory the ESS Reference DAC can accept 1.5Mhz PCM and from memory DSD512 (I'm sure I have seen enthusiasts doing this) and its maximum delta sigma rate is somewhere around 40MHz/6bit.

Given the slowness of driver updates (especially the Firewire, has Mytek no shame we have to use the Weiss drivers!! which are now at 4.1.1 in the repository by the way) and DSD128 DoP etc I think it's a tad optimistic to expect higher rate PCM being implemented. But as you say it would be nice to have. An option to upsample DSD64 in the DAC could be of interest as well. Its only a matter of time perhaps before some one gets some sample interface boards and SDK's from TCConnect and USBPAL and starts messing with custom firmware and custom drivers for the Mytek to hot rod it.

Personally I am interested in a multichannel version of the Mytek and I hope Miska is working on full featured room correction in native DSD for that eventuality so I dont want all the resources to go to the stereo DAC.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Well best solution is not to have any errors: up the buffers. Driver Buffering has no effect on playback sonics. Only useful for recording. Otherwise I believe these counters are in play until you restart the driver with a different application, reboot etc.

Thanks Pacwin,

I have the settings at maximum/safe in the USB Pal control panel. I will try different USB outlets on my motherboard(Asus P8Z77-M) to see if that helps. I have a Sotm tx-USBexp which is being used with my MK3 JKSPDIF into my Mytek spdif input until appropriate drivers are available for the USB2 input. I just may be better served to try and use the firewire input for DSD.

Thanks

Johnny

Hey all, long time lurker here, don't post much. Would appreciate your thoughts on a DAC upgrade.

I have an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 that I'm looking to replace and the Mytek with DSD capability looks neat, but I'm worried about sound qualities changing too much. I really like the relaxed, musical sound I get from the Electrocompaniet. I am worried the Mytek, being a pro/mastering DAC, may sound like the benchmark DAC1 I had previously. I hated it - way too harsh for me and was just not at all enjoyable to listen to. How does the Mytek compare to the benchmark, sound-wise?

The rest of my system is an Octave V70SE with Dynaudio Confidence C1's and Nordost Tyr signal cabling. Right now I am driving my Electrocompaniet DAC with a Cullen modded Sonos. I was debating the Mytek versus just getting a MF VLink 192 and just holding out a bit more for some consumer DSD capable DACs maybe in the next year or two. I have many HDTracks.com downloads and would like to hear them at high quality through my system. I also plan on ripping my sacd collection via ps3 in the future (obviously I can't play those natively with the VLink).

Also, I saw a post a few pages back about the silver and black versions being different? Is that true? If so, what are the differences? Lastly, is there any benefit in getting the mastering version? I don't need preamp capabilities, so it is a toss up between the two. Are there any pros or cons other than the obvious between the two models? Which is more popular?

Thanks!

Black and silver versions of the same unit are the same. I believe the mastering version is only in black.

Read the specs more closely. The preamp version has an analog input; the mastering version trades that for digital DSD inputs for recording purposes. Unless you plan on doing that, the preamp version is probably better for you - unless you want the look of the mastering version.

The sound of all the models is the same.

There are lots of other DSD capable DACS coming on the market now. The new TEAC supposedly sounds very good and is much cheaper than the Mytek (but it doesn't have all the functions the Mytek does). You might want to wait and check out one of these.

Mytek does have a 30 day return policy if you don't like the DAC.

Another option exists: Sonore makes a USB>SPDIF converter that will play DSD (converted to PCM) to a non DSD DAC. Pricey, but lets you play DSD over any DAC you like.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Black and silver versions of the same unit are the same. I believe the mastering version is only in black.

Slight correction: the black and silver preamp versions are, of course, different colors, but the silver one has no leds on the front panel either. See here:

Mytek Digital | HiFi

Though any of the three can act as a digital preamp (remote volume, etc) only the "preamp" versions can act also as an analog preamp (with one analog set of inputs instead of the more pro-like SDIF that comes with the mastering version). For resale (don't want to jinx) I'd do one of the preamp versions, which are more popular anyway.

I am worried the Mytek, being a pro/mastering DAC, may sound like the benchmark DAC1 I had previously. I hated it - way too harsh for me and was just not at all enjoyable to listen to. How does the Mytek compare to the benchmark, sound-wise?

Several years ago I tried a friend's well broken in Bechmark DAC1 in my system on two different occasions. I hated it the first time I tried it. I could barely sit through an entire track. I was frankly stunned that it had garnered such positive reviews. I thought the 90's vintage Theta I was using was far more musical, even though it was nowhere near as resolving as the Benchmark.

I ended up borrowing the Benchmark again as I had obtained some hi res music files and wanted to see if it would do any better. I still hated it.

I am absolutely delighted with my Mytek DAC. It never ceases to amaze me - particularly when I consider its price. DSD and hi res PCM can sound stunningly good.

Just please keep in mind that the Mytek needs a long, long time to burn in. Just out of the box you might fear that it is no better than the Benchmark. But just after 500 hours it begins to finally loosen up to the point where CD rips are sounding great. I think it even needed a few hundred more hours after that to fully bloom.

Lastly, I had some Nordost Tyr on hand a few weeks ago and found that it paired nicely with the Mytek.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256