IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Several years ago I tried a friend's well broken in Bechmark DAC1 in my system on two different occasions. I hated it the first time I tried it. I could barely sit through an entire track. I was frankly stunned that it had garnered such positive reviews. I thought the 90's vintage Theta I was using was far more musical, even though it was nowhere near as resolving as the Benchmark.

I ended up borrowing the Benchmark again as I had obtained some hi res music files and wanted to see if it would do any better. I still hated it.

I am absolutely delighted with my Mytek DAC. It never ceases to amaze me - particularly when I consider its price. DSD and hi res PCM can sound stunningly good.

Just please keep in mind that the Mytek needs a long, long time to burn in. Just out of the box you might fear that it is no better than the Benchmark. But just after 500 hours it begins to finally loosen up to the point where CD rips are sounding great. I think it even needed a few hundred more hours after that to fully bloom.

Lastly, I had some Nordost Tyr on hand a few weeks ago and found that it paired nicely with the Mytek.

I too have owned the Benchmark few years ago... agree totally. never understood so many rave reviews for the benchmark. To me it sounded clinical, congested, nasal, and just boring. I've also owned Lavry DA11 and Ayre QB9 which are both excellent DACs. Having had the Mytek for over a year now, I'm sticking with it. it's honest, detailed AND musical... a very rare combination. have no urge to upgrade. agree also that it requires long burn in

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Hi,

i'm Alberto from Italy and i've order Mytek 192 DSD.

Have someone has problems to set Output ASIO in Foobar 2000?I've red Mytek setup guide step by step

http://mytekdigital.com/support_docs/stereo192-dsd_dac_software_setup_guide_v1.0.pdf

At page18 explain how to set Output ASIO on Foobar.

When i click on "foo dsd asio" appear blank window and i can't select right setup.

Can i set Foobar2000 without DAC connected to PC or I need to connect Mytek before set it?

Thanks,

Alberto.

Hi,

i'm Alberto from Italy and i've order Mytek 192 DSD.

Have someone has problems to set Output ASIO in Foobar 2000?I've red Mytek setup guide step by step

http://mytekdigital.com/support_docs/stereo192-dsd_dac_software_setup_guide_v1.0.pdf

At page18 explain how to set Output ASIO on Foobar.

When i click on "foo dsd asio" appear blank window and i can't select right setup.

Can i set Foobar2000 without DAC connected to PC or I need to connect Mytek before set it?

Thanks,

Alberto.

Hi Alberto,

even though I do not use Foobar for playback, I would expect that you will need to have the DAC connected to your PC in order to configure the software the way you want.

Alberto,

but you have the Windows - USB Drivers allready installed?

Just asking, as I'm not sure what you try to say with the quote above (maybe something got lost in translation ;-) )

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Alberto,

do you have the "ASIO-Proxy" driver installed, which is part of the "foo_input_sacd" package (0.6.1 at the moment)?

It is not easy to setup all that, if one doesn't have some practise with such things, but if done step by step,

it should be managable.

Just take sure that you have done all the needed steps.

If there are further problems, some screenshots might help to let us fix the/your problems.

Greetings

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Hello here a wrote few pages back.

Hello Everybody,

I would like to raise a point on this thread concerning the main power supply of this Dac.

I don't know who designs the dac, but either he doesn't know about common-mode conducted mains noise or have engineered their design cleverly to avoid it.

The dac use an off-the-shelf mains filter block (chassis mounted, top right) and then a toroidal transformer. The upshot of this is plenty of coupling of external mains noise to the internal circuit ground causing micros cuts while listening.

I found the same problem using two DSD192 dacs.

May be Michal can help this.

Best regards

On an other forum

I would like to thank you for this great dac you do. Really fantastic.

I try 2 units home but unfortunately couldn't keep one.....

I'm leaving in France where the voltage is 230v/50Hz. The Dac is very sensitive to electrical interferences.

Sometimes the fact turning on some home electrical appliances causes micro cuts in the dac.

Some other Mytek owners have the same problem.

I dont know....

May be you have an answer to this anomaly?

no need exhaustive measurements, or Golden ears to see this....

Regards

Hello,

I can only agree to what 2counos said. Strangely, I also live in Paris. Dont know anything about electrical designs, but I'm also experiencing "micro cuts". There is probably no doubt that the power main is noisy, but I'm renting a flat and have absolutely no control on it. It also seems that my amplifier is mostly responsible of it. Adding a schaffner filter in front of the DAC (only for the DAC) helps a lot, even though not perfect. Adding the filter in front of both the amplifier and the DAC produces a lot more micro cuts. That's a bit annoying, as I can't live without an amplifier (even though I was planning to change it)

Fellows,

I've decided to pull the plug on a Mytek and stop converting DSD to PCM. I've trawled used sites, but to no avail, so I'm buying a new one.

I'm physically located in Beijing, China, but I work for the Embassy here and have access to U.S. shipping at local rates. Anybody have a preferred seller for the Mytek 192, preferably in Silver? I'm fine with U.S. or Chinese firms, and the units voltage doesn't matter.

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

Fellows,

I've decided to pull the plug on a Mytek and stop converting DSD to PCM. I've trawled used sites, but to no avail, so I'm buying a new one.

I'm physically located in Beijing, China, but I work for the Embassy here and have access to U.S. shipping at local rates. Anybody have a preferred seller for the Mytek 192, preferably in Silver? I'm fine with U.S. or Chinese firms, and the units voltage doesn't matter.

Well, you could buy from Cookie Marenco's Blue Coast site and get $200 in DSD downloads. I assume you meant "pull the trigger"

and not "pull the plug". :) I hope.

Well, you could buy from Cookie Marenco's Blue Coast site and get $200 in DSD downloads. I assume you meant "pull the trigger" and not "pull the plug". :) I hope.

Does the Mytek sound any better riddled with bullet holes than without any connections?

:-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Does the Mytek sound any better riddled with bullet holes than without any connections?

:-)

Eloise

I'm sure many on this forum have wanted to! Or have tried both!! ;)

Or buy it direct from the Mytek store.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well, you could buy from Cookie Marenco's Blue Coast site and get $200 in DSD downloads. I assume you meant "pull the trigger"

and not "pull the plug". :) I hope.

Ted! Thanks for the awesome recommendation to look at Cookie's site. I just sent an email their way. It certainly seems like a no-brainer, if you're buying a new unit.

As to the inappropriate metaphor, I'll just say it was the very end of a long day. You have to get up pretty early to watch the Superbowl in China, and having had that much to drink before 11 AM really throws one's Monday out of balance...

You were correct, of course. Only after pulling the trigger on the Mytek will I pull the plug on my Emotiva.

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

I love MyTek 192, and Firewire is well better than USB with my system.

Currently, I connect it with my Mac Pro (10.8.2) via firewire , but every time I switch off the MyTek , my Mac Pro crashes and needs to reboot.

Any one has this problem ? Shall I switch off my Mac Pro before switching off MyTek/

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Shall I switch off my Mac Pro before switching off MyTek/

Well, I know that OSX registers the DAC as a random number when it sees it, then if the DAC powers off and back on then OSX deregisters it, and a new handshake is required. For this reason I never show OSX a powered off DAC (ie. always turn Mac off first, turn DAC on first)

I love MyTek 192, and Firewire is well better than USB with my system.

Currently, I connect it with my Mac Pro (10.8.2) via firewire , but every time I switch off the MyTek , my Mac Pro crashes and needs to reboot.

Any one has this problem ? Shall I switch off my Mac Pro before switching off MyTek/

What music player software do you use? I also have a Firewire DAC, and I don't have this problem with Pure Music or Audirvana.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I am using Audirvana plus

For this reason I never show OSX a powered off DAC (ie. always turn Mac off first, turn DAC on first) - Thank you, I will try

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Does the Mytek Stereo192DSD DAC run warm, run hot, or run cool as a cucumber?

mine is cool/slightly warm

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I never switch off my mini (only stop).

I turn on/off the Mytek.

I use it with FW.

During the day I change the input (I use 192 also with sat decoder on toslink).

ML 10.8.2 no problems.

Ted! Thanks for the awesome recommendation to look at Cookie's site. I just sent an email their way.

An update here: I got in touch with Cookie, and her support was phenomenal. Within an hour we'd exchanged 3 or 4 emails, and I bought a unit from her. For a very comparable price to everything else I found, you get $200 in download credits to Blue Coast and her other site, and they update the unit's firmware and burn it in for 100 hours prior to shipping.

I'm enjoying Chinese New Year out here in Beijing (happy Year of the Snake, everyone!) but in a few weeks I'll have a shiny new Mytek with 100 hours of burn-in and a hard drive full of material to enjoy. Thanks again for the recommendation, Ted_b. I'm sure you'll come to regret it when i start asking questions here before too long... :)