IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

sebna,

you emailed me about mytek hp amp performance because i have similar setup as you (AH-D700 vs AH-D7100).

however i admit that i prefer listening to loudspeaker !

imho with hp you'll never have the soundstage same way in front of you as with speakers.

and no, i do not experience the mids in my neck with mytek and denon hp.

i am pretty happy with the hp amp of mytek though i don't have heard it against dedicated external hp amps.

in ger magazin professional audio it was mentioned that lp g103 and g109 were both superior vs mytek hp amp.

however - as said above - listening to headphones is somewhat a compromise for me. only in the night due to living in a flat...

if using foobar2000 player you may try 'Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP' plugin.

it affects soundstage somehow in 'software domain'. just google for foo_bs2b-3.1.0 and/or download attached file

regarding burn-in time:

when i got my unit i let it play mp3'z 24/7 for a week or two (using a noxon web radio via spdif).

though i had a 30 day return 'warranty' one thing was for sure immediately: i would not need to return it ! - even wo any breaking-in...

i don' think the mytek is the fault.

after changing to a tube amp, i think especially soundstage is an even more strong point of the mytek.

try and check the AH-D7100 how it performs with other gear

all the best

dubbio

foo_bs2b-3.1.0.zip

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

Hi Everybody, I just joined the fast growing "italian mytek community"! So far very good. I am using the Mytek with my desktop system:

iMac -> Audirvana Plus -> Wireworld Ultraviolet USB -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Adam A5x -> Sennheiser HD650.

I believe I have a similar setup as you Esprit. I am not completely satisfied with the Mytek as a headphone amplifier and the HD 650 (too leaner sounding) but maybe it's too early to draw conclusions. With the Adams instead very good detailed and pro monitor sound.

I will eventually move it to my main system:

Macmini -> Audirvana Plus -> Wireworld Starlight USB -> Arcam rDAC (temporarily) -> Cardas Audio CrossLink RCA cable ->Heed Audio Obelisk Si + X2 -> Van Den Hul CS 122 Hybrid -> Triangle Antal 30th Anniversary.

Setup was easy following all your advices :) :) And I can't wait to hear how it will improve over time.

Thank you guys for your useful information!

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Hi simone, welcome here. :)

My main speakers are Adam S3X-V.

I don't use headphones. The Mytek is connected toa mini via FW but I want to test an HiFace 2 and the S/PDIF input.

Yesterday night I connected the Mytek to my main system (macmini via Firewire) and I had to restart the Mac twice to get it working but finally everthing was set up fine (I'm using a Lindy firewire cable). I also have the Hiface 2 so I can check it myself also and exchange some thoughts! I will connect to the Mytek also the Apple TV (Toslink) and the TV, and will post impressions on those.

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Dear Michel or Adam from Mytek,

With the recent commercial availability of downloadable DSD128 material, fellow users from my local community are having issues with playing them via DoP in primarily the Mac environment, users on the windows have the ASIO alternative fortunately. The upcoming firmware is supposed to address DSD128 over DoP, am I right? Looking forward to your release of the firmware so I can help those users on your behalf to enjoy DSD128 recordings. Thanks!

Ivan - Singapore

Dear Michel or Adam from Mytek,

With the recent commercial availability of downloadable DSD128 material, fellow users from my local community are having issues with playing them via DoP in primarily the Mac environment, users on the windows have the ASIO alternative fortunately. The upcoming firmware is supposed to address DSD128 over DoP, am I right? Looking forward to your release of the firmware so I can help those users on your behalf to enjoy DSD128 recordings. Thanks!

Ivan - Singapore

Hello Valenroy

Updates have be promised some time ago but unfortunatly, Mytek has not released any new firmware / drivers for some time.

New firewire drivers were promised back in November for the Mac and again Mytek has failed to deliver.

I that respect I am disappointed with the product.

Another disappointment for me is the lack of integer playback support. Basically all competitive products offer that feature.

I like the hardware qualitiy of the Mytek DAC very much but I am underwhelmed by the software support for the DAC. In the age of Computer audio playback, I think this is very important.

Because of that, I sometimes wonder if I should have purchased another product with more focus on software/firmware development.

Regards, Mikel

I am wondering whether it is possible to play 128dsd from a mac mini using pure music to the mytek through firewire? I have a lp rip in 128dsd and when I play it the display show 174.5 os something like that indicating that the Mac mini is transporting 128dsd to the mytek and sound does come out!

I am afraid the Mytek is not capable of playing back DSD128 using the DoP transport protocol at this moment with firmware 1.71 - the next iteration is supposed to address this shortcoming. As for what you are hearing, it is actually DSD128 that is converted to 24/176.4kHz PCM on the fly by your software player.

Hello Valenroy

Updates have be promised some time ago but unfortunatly, Mytek has not released any new firmware / drivers for some time.

New firewire drivers were promised back in November for the Mac and again Mytek has failed to deliver.

I that respect I am disappointed with the product.

Another disappointment for me is the lack of integer playback support. Basically all competitive products offer that feature.

I like the hardware qualitiy of the Mytek DAC very much but I am underwhelmed by the software support for the DAC. In the age of Computer audio playback, I think this is very important.

Because of that, I sometimes wonder if I should have purchased another product with more focus on software/firmware development.

Regards, Mikel

Hmmm... they were pretty quick on their toes to address their customers plights on previous occasions, I wonder what could be happening or stalling them at Mytek at the moment... working on another beefed up DAC?

I have a new mantra: "I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! Etc..." :D

How much I have to pay? 1€, 10€, 100€, 1.000€? Please let me know! ;)

I wrote:

Hi-

Not kidding, my dog “ate” (actually grabbed and scattered outside) the 5

black screws that attach the top panel of the DAC.

Can you supply replacements (preferred) or tell me what size screws to buy?

Thanks,

Danny

Yes, I have a puppy and he took the little ziploc bag I put the screws in when I opened the DAC...

I received a reply after one business day:

Hi Danny,

12 (2 x 6 of each type of screws - "old" and new type) screws will be

sent to you tomorrow.

All the best

Adam Bielewicz

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hmmm... they were pretty quick on their toes to address their customers plights on previous occasions, I wonder what could be happening or stalling them at Mytek at the moment... working on another beefed up DAC?

After complaining with Mytek I got some beta drivers to test (usb and firmware). The last combination of the usb driver + firmware shows improvement i.e. no longer dropouts when playing dsd (dop) Windows8/Jriver. Zero error counts in the PAL window. What still remains is a loud tick/plop when starting dsd. Still no dsd128.

I have a new mantra: "I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! I want Integer! Etc..." :D

How much I have to pay? 1€, 10€, 100€, 1.000€? Please let me know! ;)

Integer support (nonmixable physical and virtual integer streams support) is only really an issue with Audirvana Plus USB users, right?? I mean, I know of no firewire implementation that supports nonmixable integer playback, and the other MAC players do not have integer support in ML cuz it's not there in ML, right? It is specific to A+. Not JRiver or PM or Amarra or any other MAC player, nor any Windows player, or Linux MPD users right? And the OSX lack of it in Mytek is tied to the Rigisystems USB 2.0 driver, right? (Integer support is available in USB 1 port, max 96k) So.....you really believe that Mytek would change their entire USB hardware strategy for users of one particular MAC player? Am I missing something here (I ask that not facetiously, but in real seriousness..I don't know what I am missing, but maybe something basic)?

What still remains is a loud tick/plop when starting dsd.

Agreed. I told Chebon and Michal about the click/pop-when-starting-DSD with the beta fw/driver. By the way, they will be at AXPONA in Chicago (Michal is doing a presentation, and in their room they are setting up 5.1 with all Sony AR2 speakers!!). I am seeing them first thing Friday when it opens. Let me know any questions.

So.....you really believe that Mytek would change their entire USB hardware strategy for users of one particular MAC player? Am I missing something here (I ask that not facetiously, but in real seriousness..I don't know what I am missing, but maybe something basic)?
Ted, I do not have to believe but I can ask... :)

It is not said that it is necessarily an hw problem.

P.S. I don't think integer mode is limited to 96kHz and integer mode is possible on USB and FW[*].

[*]http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/updated-dac-list-integer-mode-compatibility-audivrana-plus-13363/index3.html#post202157

Esprit, I never said integer mode is limited to 96k. What I said was that Mytek's USB1 port is limited to 96k, cuz it is. And yes, you are right..my bad...ONE DAC has implemented a special firewire integer mode, the good guys at Metric Halo.

The Mytek has 2 USB ports and 1 Firewire.

Only one USB port is USB1.

One DAC? One DAC in that list. However one is more than zero :D

?? Esprit, what exactly is your point?? I said "port USB1 is integer capable, but only good to 96k". This is fact; it is USB 1.1. The more-often-used port, aka USB2, is 2.0 but not integer capable. Nor is the firewire port integer capable. What is your point? Why are you arguing that the Mytek has two ports; of course it does.

& the Mytek USB1 port is not asymmetric (re-clocking)?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

What is your point? Why are you arguing that the Mytek has two ports; of course it does.
It's an hw problem or a sw problem? It's possible to have or not? Mytek USB2.0 isn't integer capable? A lot of DACs with USB2.0 ports are integer capable. Ted, again, we live in different continents, we see things totally opposite, you write that the manufacturer does not must be concerned about a few customers, I think he should try to listen to all customers. U.S. consumers have fewer rights? I do not know, I do not live in USA, I do not see what's wrong with asking... C'est la vie :)