IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Hello

Mytek ordered ! It's on the way home...

I read the F*****g manual. And as you can see on my avatar, my language is french. Not easy and so I ask some help for understanding.

ie page 9 : "FireWire 400 Port. 6-pin computer interface. Can be used withFireWire 400 > FireWire 800 cable or Firewire 400>Thunderbolt.192kHz/DSD capable. "

My external card (Impact Twin) is hooked up on my iMac (mid 2011 & Mountain Lion) with a Oyaide Neo firewire cable.

(400>800) . Can I used the same cable firewire and plugged on the Thunderbolt connector ??

Maybe an adaptator is need...

The manual is not very clear.

Hi Esprit and thanks you very much. I appreciate your disponibility. I'm just a little bit afraid how to set up the Mytek.

It's just not "plug and play". So, an adaptator is required. Anyway, I had a connector firewire free (disconnect the Impact Twin)

Cheers

Thanks Ted_b

When you go back to some posts in November / December you will find some good info about this in the thread here.

This is my recap:

A while back in December, I wanted to know from Mytek why they do not develop direct mode drivers.

There was a pretty hot discussion going on, mostly by email. The Mytek is positioned in the HiFi segment so to me it seemed logical that they should offer a state of the art driver (as other companies do).

According to Damien (Audirvana), this should be a rather easy task, a couple of hours of coding work.

One problem seems that Mytek would have to outsource that and pay for it. They do not want to do that, being a very small company.

Furthermore, they do not believe that implementing a Direct Mode driver would further improve sound quality.

They basically told my that I would have to prove them the benefit in order to potentially implement it.

Feedback from other DAC owners with direct support however lead to a different conclusion.

To me this really feels that we customers are not taken seriously. For this reason, I am almost sorry I went for the Mytek instead of other very similar products now entering the market.

Even the promised that were done in the past are not kept. I was told twice by email that driver updates are coming by the end of December. Well now it's already 4 months later :(.

Now what..... wait another 4 months?

If someone asked me today if I would recommend the Mytek my answer is as a DSD player yes..... but overall for the lack of support -> NO!

Today I would probably go for the exaSound e20.

Mikel

Me, I listened with the "integer" mode on the USB 1.1.

The sound is really even better.

Ted, I advise you to listen to just once!

So much better than I intend to abandon the FW for the USB1.1, because I do not almost hear differences between 96kHz and 192kHz.

I recommend to Mytek to develop a compatible driver, so this DAC would have really 0 defects and it would be "The Best DAC of the World" and that would boost you sales ;-)

So much better than I intend to abandon the FW for the USB1.1, because I do not almost hear differences between 96kHz and 192kHz.

I recommend to Mytek to develop a compatible driver, so this DAC would have really 0 defects and it would be "The Best DAC of the World" and that would boost you sales ;-)

Another option would be to use a USB->S/PDIF converter that supports integer mode. That way, you aren't limited to 24/96.

I'd hasten to say that in my system, the AP2 + PurePower doesn't constitute a night-and-day difference compared with a direct FireWire connection to the Mytek (where I use a good-quality FW cable without a power leg). Now having had the PurePower upgrade for over a month, however, I have to say that it does provide an improvement to my ears -- I find the sound to be less fatiguing and more natural (kind of a squishy analysis, I know), and the real indication that things are better is that I spend much more time completely lost in the music, which is mostly where I want to be.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Tipunch,

While I appreciate your enthusiasm I HAVE tried it. It is fine, but not even close to the tradeoffs. Let's put it another way: USB1 does not do DSD. USB1 does not do 24/176.4k, nor 24/192k. If the Mytek did not do these things (esp DSD) I would never have even evaluated it. There are hosts of DACs that do 24/96 integer that would come into play.

Driver update does not concern the integer mode. What are you expecting by the update?

Indeed it does not.

I give you three reasons why I consider a driver update valuable:

- the list of corrected issues / improvements since version 3.56 seems quite long to me

- can you be sure that you are not affected by one of these issues?

- other companies (like Weiss) offer driver updates for the same chip, for a good reason

In my opinion, the lack of integer support for USB2/FW and denying that there is an advantage in implementing such support is bad enough. But the lack of updated drivers just confirms to me that Mytek is taking their HiFi positioning of the product not really seriously. If you want to be in the HiFi business, you have to walk the whole mile and listen to customers (and not asking them to prove that Integer improves SQ).

Hi,

Thanks Esprit for the link (adaptator fw>thunderbolt, Mytek comes today by UPS...)

Why Integer mode is capable with USB 1 and not USB2 & firewire ??

Besides, the drivers update whether it is for pros either for hi-fi, makes no difference, because the uppgrade take advantage in both worlds.

Well, I think I've read every review published online, and none were like that one. Maybe he had a brand new unit and didn't let it break in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hey. I am strongly considering to get the Mytek and was lurking here for a long time.

Yesterday a thread of another forum got to my attention and I wonder if the tested gear was defect or not since their conclusion seems to be quite the opposite what I was reading elsewhere.

Here is the link h**p://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,883.0.html

That group was using it incorrectly IMHO. The were unaware it has a VERY hot 5.3VRMS RCA output and it was likely clipping the preamp. Even a dead cold brand new Mytek is not unlistenable (just nothing near its nice sound after 400 hours), as they described...otherwise hundreds of us here have tin ears. I've heard many of the other DACs in that "shoot-out" (I hate that term) and it is nowhere near that comparison. But that is indeed one data point you need to use. Please don't draw a graph with one data point.

Thanks for the replies.

For me it was also the first read review which is that negative.

I think I will get mine within the next month. I even have 30 day money back guarantee.

The only thing is I have nothing to compare it to against besides my Asus Xonar STX :(

Thanks for the replies.

For me it was also the first read review which is that negative.

I think I will get mine within the next month. I even have 30 day money back guarantee.

The only thing is I have nothing to compare it to against besides my Asus Xonar STX :(

Will you use a preamp in between Mytek and amp, or use Mytek's remote volume (analog)? I am a big proponent of using an active preamp, which requires careful setting of the Mytek (it's pro pedigree shows loudly in its very hot outputs, which Mytek has attempted to alleviate with -6db output jumpers in later versions than the original 2011). My Concert Fidelity is a world class preamp but accepts only 2VRMS so the jumpers need to be in (-6db) then about a -2 on the dial to be absolutely a stickler on numbers...although bypass and jumpers works well enough. It is not an issue currently as I use the 3 Myteks in a 5.1 surround stack so the Concert Fidelity is not involved except for ht bypass, which comes at the proper level from my multichannel preamp.

Will you use a preamp in between Mytek and amp, or use Mytek's remote volume (analog)? I am a big proponent of using an active preamp, which requires careful setting of the Mytek (it's pro pedigree shows loudly in its very hot outputs, which Mytek has attempted to alleviate with -6db output jumpers in later versions than the original 2011). My Concert Fidelity is a world class preamp but accepts only 2VRMS so the jumpers need to be in (-6db) then about a -2 on the dial to be absolutely a stickler on numbers...although bypass and jumpers works well enough. It is not an issue currently as I use the 3 Myteks in a 5.1 surround stack so the Concert Fidelity is not involved except for ht bypass, which comes at the proper level from my multichannel preamp.

No at least not now.

In the moment just want a replacement for my soundcard. And I also need a headphone amp also.

I got my Audeze LCD3 two months ago and they sounded so much better in the shop where I got them (on a Vicolectric V800 and Violectric HPA V200 head amp).

So the Mytek will serve both. I know that I might need a dedicated head amp later on.

Edit: Yeah I remeber that I read a thread where someone took 3 Myteks in a row! So that was you :) Nice setup!!