IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

What thing are supposed to be fixed or added with this release?

Actually, I asked Adam on that around a month ago, a bit short after he said that v1.7.2 is being tested internally.

To be honest, its not that I am having an issue that would require this update to be solved, but still I am a but curious on the details. So, If you Adam are still monitoring this thread (or anyone from Mytek for that part), I for one would greatly appreciate any details or sneak-peeks you can offer.

Hi Guys,

I just got by post my Mytek (woohoo !). I am trying to make it work over the FW in Win7 x64 with VIA VT6308P FireWire Controller which is supposed to be supported by DICE drivers.

All I am getting is no-lock, no fun. During the installation of newest drivers from website I am asked to install Mytek Device which goes through without any errors.

The Firmware is 1.7.1 on the Mytek itself.

When I turn it on it says no-lock only.

Any hints? What could I try? When i start control panel of driver (the Dice one) it will say no devices connected.

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

I just got by post my Mytek (woohoo !). I am trying to make it work over the FW in Win7 x64 with VIA VT6308P FireWire Controller which is supposed to be supported by DICE drivers.

All I am getting is no-lock, no fun. During the installation of newest drivers from website I am asked to install Mytek Device which goes through without any errors.

The Firmware is 1.7.1 on the Mytek itself.

When I turn it on it says no-lock only.

Any hints? What could I try? When i start control panel of driver (the Dice one) it will say no devices connected.

Thanks,

Two things:

1) make sure fw is chosen in the input menu (I know, seems obvious but isn't always)

2) restart the DAC (unplug power) and then if that doesn't begin the handshake then reboot the pc with the DAC on.

Anyone use the DAC with high end head phones?

How does it sound - is the the internal Headphone amp anygood?

Will it drive most phones?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2) restart the DAC (unplug power)

This. Thank you ted. Syncing now no problem. Will see how it will behave after restart.

Shame I am a bit sick now and my hearing is muffled and cant really comment on anything what I hear, but that still does not stop me from a bit of listening and playing with options.

I followed the PDF on setting up for starters Foobar with DSD playback via DOP and 64 DSD.

What is the difference between DOP and Native and which one is better. Also does 120 DSD works over Firewire now or is still not implemented?

Wasapi seems to be sounding more livley then ASIO? Can WASAPI be configured for DSD 120 native playback?

Sorry for all those questions but I am just learning all the details..

Also did somebody used Remote Functions with Logitech harmony pilots and if so in which RF mode on Mytek and are there maybe any profiles in it in Harmony Soft?

Thanks

Sebna,

no problem, my pleasure. First off, DoP is native DSD, just that it is carried by a PCM layer (24/176) before the DAC sees it as DSD. The only way to NOT do DoP is to use ASIO. And that is the only way to do DSD128 (that is the term, not "120 DSD")..."128" means 2X 64, or 128 times more than 44k (redbook).

Thanks Ted again. I of course meant 128 :) dont know where from my fingers took 120 :)

As about to rest of info I am even more confused then I was before. So by doing DoP are we actually converting the signal? Also DoP is configured through ASIO in the instruction? In other words I can do 120 native DSD through ASIO without DoP over FW? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Firedog I will check it for you with Senn HD800 and moded Denon AH-D5000. I need some time to do it properly.

I will compare the internal headphone amp with the Graham Slee Solo.

First impresions with HD800 are not so positive. It is clearly better then headphone output from eg. Marantz PM-15S1 but not so good as the output of the Marantz SA-15S1 (I had both for some time). With Slee Solo there is no competition.

Has anyone tried this?

"And here is a little tweak to try out if you have the hardware resources (it should be quite easy if you own a Apple computer as both firewire and usb ports are catered for) - Adding a firewire 400-800 cable to serve as a dedicated powerline between the computer and the DAC (I think the Mytek needs the powerline to identify itself to the computer) while you use a USB Type A-B cable for the signal lines only. This can be achieved by blanking out pins 1 (+5V) and 4 (ground) on either USB connectors using small strips of sticky tape! i.e. either on the Type A or the B end. I believe the other way around should work as well with the USB serving as the powerline and the Firewire as the signal line. I do not have a adequate Firewire cable at the moment for a fair comparison so I did not attempt this test. By using this tweak, I personally found that a slight dullness from the sound is removed from the reproduction. This could most probably be attributed to the powerline influencing the signal lines somehow."

"The reverse of the tweak I had proposed earlier works as well, with the Firewire cable (pins 1 & 2 blanked out) serving as signal lines and either one of the USB output cables serving as powerlines.

I have also attempted another experiment which is to run 2 usb cables concurrently (1 cable with pins 1 & 4 blanked out going into the USB 2.0 output and another generic one to serve as powerlines from the USB 1.0 output) from the Mytek to the Macbook Pro and guess what? It works as well!"

xtremeplace.com

Has anyone tried this?

"And here is a little tweak to try out if you have the hardware resources (it should be quite easy if you own a Apple computer as both firewire and usb ports are catered for) - Adding a firewire 400-800 cable to serve as a dedicated powerline between the computer and the DAC (I think the Mytek needs the powerline to identify itself to the computer) while you use a USB Type A-B cable for the signal lines only. This can be achieved by blanking out pins 1 (+5V) and 4 (ground) on either USB connectors using small strips of sticky tape! i.e. either on the Type A or the B end. I believe the other way around should work as well with the USB serving as the powerline and the Firewire as the signal line. I do not have a adequate Firewire cable at the moment for a fair comparison so I did not attempt this test. By using this tweak, I personally found that a slight dullness from the sound is removed from the reproduction. This could most probably be attributed to the powerline influencing the signal lines somehow."

"The reverse of the tweak I had proposed earlier works as well, with the Firewire cable (pins 1 & 2 blanked out) serving as signal lines and either one of the USB output cables serving as powerlines.

I have also attempted another experiment which is to run 2 usb cables concurrently (1 cable with pins 1 & 4 blanked out going into the USB 2.0 output and another generic one to serve as powerlines from the USB 1.0 output) from the Mytek to the Macbook Pro and guess what? It works as well!"

xtremeplace.com

I posted that quite a number of times actually but not many owners seem to be interested... My personal experience with both interfaces is that the powerline (+5v) is needed for the computer to recognize the Mytek.

ok as nobody is really willing to comment on how the burn-in affects Mytek I will ask a different question.

I am listening to music on my HPs through HP out on Mytek.

I have a massive problem with the unit.

All mid range with vocals and other sounds which fit in that region will be place behind my head or at best on the back wall of my skull which is extremely annoying and making hard to listen to the music.

Anybody have similar impressions is this going to be any better with time?

Thanks

I posted that quite a number of times actually but not many owners seem to be interested... My personal experience with both interfaces is that the powerline (+5v) is needed for the computer to recognize the Mytek.

At least it gets recognized here using firewire from my laptop using 4-pin connector...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I am very interested but I read only yesterday your posts :)

I use the FW. Have I to interrupt the ground and the +5v. (FW cable)?

Is it possible, in such little space, cover with the tape the pins without cutting the wires?

Need I only a cheap usb cable with ground and +5 v?

TIA :D

ok as nobody is really willing to comment on how the burn-in affects Mytek I will ask a different question.

I am listening to music on my HPs through HP out on Mytek.

All mid range with vocals and other sounds which fit in that region will be place behind my head or at best on the back wall of my skull which is extremely annoying and making hard to listen to the music.

Anybody have similar impressions is this going to be any better with time?

Thanks

Earlier in the thread burn in of hundreds of hours, say 300-500 was talked about. That matches my experience.

As far as your other experience, I don't see how the soundstage being effected like that could be due to the Mytek.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Earlier in the thread burn in of hundreds of hours, say 300-500 was talked about. That matches my experience.

As far as your other experience, I don't see how the soundstage being effected like that could be due to the Mytek.

Well my setup is only Mytek and my Denon's D7100 and D1000 so it is Mytek :) It has U shaped sound stage where bottom of U seems to be behind my head :(

I assume from reading your sig that you do not listen to Maytek on HPs what would explain why you dont experience it.

Anybody with mytek as primary source for HPs?

Cheers

Many of us have already commented on how burn in affects the Mytek. Please spend some time going through the posts in this thread. A tremendous wealth of information has been provided by the very kind folks who took the time to share their experiences.

I don't think there's another DAC that has had as much ink spilled on it, and not just in this forum. Why not take advantage of this to learn more about your DAC?

The one thing that's been said many, many times is that the Mytek takes a very long time to burn in. So just keep pumping music through it until at least 500 hours have passed before you jump to the conclusion that there is something massively wrong with the sound.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Kenny but you realise that the time which you spent directing me to read (in form of good bit of text) 100 pages of topic you could as well spend just giving me a brief summary in points of what sort of changes i can expect after 500+ hours plus of burn-in and you could let me know about your own experience if you have one with HP and sound staging of Mytek, rather than giving me mostly pointless comments.

From reaction on my comment about u shaped stage it seems like it is rather new thing on this forum (which probably means I will not find much about it in previous 100 pages) when in the mean time I managed to find, in different locations, at least two other users who would notice same problem with Mytek.

Also I hope you understand that it is easier to ask rather then spent 500+ hours of electricity and time burning in equipment, which I might need to return after all, only to learn that it has no influence for the U shaped stage which is placing vocals behind my head on otherwise wonderfully staged D7100 on different DACs.

The funny thing is that manufacturer himself is rather sceptical that burn-in of Mytek 192 DAC is providing any difference of any kind (at lest the support team in Warsaw)...

So I am reading through the topic but unfortunately times when I could spend 5h a day reading forums are long gone and even though I will read it all it will take some (a lot of time). All I am looking is simple answer how does the burn-in influence shape of stage and some kind user who can share his view on it. One would expect that as with most HW the stage will open up but it is not so obvious that shape will change or how it will change.

Hope you understand where I am coming from.

Well my setup is only Mytek and my Denon's D7100 and D1000 so it is Mytek :) It has U shaped sound stage where bottom of U seems to be behind my head :(
I must admit that I am not a headphone listener but your observation is puzzling since I cannot image that anything a DAC can do would reverse the soundstage from front-to-back. (I am assuming that having it wrap around in front of you is what you desire.) Have you tried reversing the phones?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

but you realise that the time which you spent directing me to read (in form of good bit of text) 100 pages of topic you could as well spend just giving me a brief summary in points of what sort of changes i can expect after 500+ hours plus of burn-in and you could let me know about your own experience if you have one with HP and sound staging of Mytek, rather than giving me mostly pointless comments.

I was just trying to give you insight into why you were not getting replies to your posts. Folks on this forum are tremendously generous with their time. But most won't take the time to respond to questions that have been covered ad infinitum in this thread or could easily answered by using a search engine.

I just Googled "Mytek 500 hours" just to see how difficult it would be to find posts that might answer your question about burn in. Ironically the first two hit referenced my own posts. Tons of great information out there that can be found with very little effort.

What you will find common in these posts is that most folks feel that the Mytek sounds bad at first. Most will warn that it should not be judged until it has been given lots of time to burn in. And that's what I think you should do. Just keep running music through the Mytek.

The reason I encouraged you to search through the threads is so you could see that there are a variety of different opinions about the Mytek as it burns in. But all these have in one thing in common: the Mytek underperforms until it has had enough hours on it. I expected this as I took the time to skim most of the posts in this thread. It didn't take much effort and I learned a lot. There are answers provided for every question you asked.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I concur with what Kenny said about using the search function; use the one simply within this thread (i.e upper right "search thread" function...for example "headphones" brings up 56 posts within this thread). We have talked for dozens of pages about break-in/burn-in. That being said (over and over) there has not been a lot about how the smaller headphone amp function does over time. Frankly, to evaluate the Mytek simply as an HA is reducing it's value significantly, though. And to me it sounds like you might have some sort of phase issue if the center fill is perceived as behind you.