IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Mytek doesn't support "integer mode" directly.

Not true!! Integer mode is supported on USB1...I said that several times in our silly back and forth a few weeks ago, Esprit! It is fully supported (as is Linux, although Miska fixed that elesehwere too) on USB1...the only downside is that the mytek only goes to 24/96 on that port.

Wanted to report any differences in sq with >300 hours on the new Mytek here.

Out of the box, as I have written previously, great performance. At 100 hours noticeable, what I would call smoothing - sweetness. There was some harshness in collective classical violin pieces, upper freq. stringed instruments. Although complicated classical orchestrations sound very good, there was a bit of muddle with delineation of the many different sounds that are present.

At 300 hours, the slight harshness of the strings is gone, with sweetness and smooth representation being the rule throughout the freq. range. Really quite amazing reproduction of subtleties present in the music. Muddle is gone as well, with very clear and faithful delineation of all the complexities present in orchestrations.

Of course jazz and fine instrumentals would knock your socks off right out of the box, but at 300 hours, they have even more substance - depth you can almost swim in. Can't explain it any better than that.

Vocals. At 300 hours you are treated to intonations, and the literal movement of the air around Diana beyond the musical notes, a kind of intimacy that I haven't experienced before.

That is the experience here with this equipment, and these ears - PCM.

DSD, that's another story, different, quite unbelievable, I'll leave it at that...

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Thank you Esprit, I would like your opinion !!

My opinion is about a year ago back in this thread. I found the asynch nature of USB2 slightly trumped the integer support of USB1 on the same 24/96 or below files. But it was close. User "smazur" talked quite a bit about how he likes A+ with USB1 a year ago. "Search this thread" can be your friend. :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-stereo-192-a-5555/index56.html#post137465

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-direct-mode-12261/index2.html#post159527

My opinion is about a year ago back in this thread. I found the asynch nature of USB2 slightly trumped the integer support of USB1 on the same 24/96 or below files. But it was close. User "smazur" talked quite a bit about how he likes A+ with USB1 a year ago. "Search this thread" can be your friend. :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-stereo-192-a-5555/index56.html#post137465

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-direct-mode-12261/index2.html#post159527

Hi Ted,

The problem could be every one on a Mac want to try Integer Mode (Direct mode now) playback possibility with the full sample rate available from recordings. In my personal case I wouldn't buy a DAC without this implementation (thanks God very few on this days).

I know, by @Miska writing in this C.A. forum, that you can get Integer/Direct Mode under Windows thanks to some audio drivers, not so easy on a Mac, where you need the XMOS® USB chipset. But I don't know the price of the XMOS®, since this could be the only limitation to DAC manufacturers.

Roch

Yes, this has been my single disappointment with the Mytek - no Integer Mode. I now regard it as a primarily dsd dac. I intend to add in a usb/spdif converter, into Mytek &/or Cyrus, for pcm. Down the track, something at the ~Meitner quality level.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Could someone explain what Integer Mode, or Direct Mode is. i believed it was the same as ASIO, or KS Streaming on windows?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Could someone explain what Integer Mode, or Direct Mode is. i believed it was the same as ASIO, or KS Streaming on windows?

They are modes of playback available on the Audirvana Plus (MAC) software player, where they bypass certain MAC core audio functions (like floating point math) to produce a straighter path to sound. But the driver of the USB architecture in the DAC must be capable; usually USB Class 2 Audio (not USB 2.0) is a primary prerequisite

Hi Mike, Esprit,

New firewire drivers for Mac should be available in December.

All the best

Adam Bielewicz

Hi all and Adam

I hope buying the Mytek Dac 192. In prevision I had downloading on Mytek Digital | HiFi

the :

Latest Firmware version 1.7.1

Latest Drivers (OS X & Windows)

The latest firewire driver is MytekDiceDrvInstaller_V3.5.6 Correct ?

This driver has been realized on 10- 21 2011 (from file info in my iMac)

So Adam, why you had wrote on 11-20-2012 "New firewire drivers for Mac should be available in December" ?

Had I missing something ??

Thanks to tell me what is the latest version (usb, firewire, and firmware too, and where to download this)

Hi Ted,

The problem could be every one on a Mac want to try Integer Mode (Direct mode now) playback possibility with the full sample rate available from recordings. In my personal case I wouldn't buy a DAC without this implementation (thanks God very few on this days).

I know, by @Miska writing in this C.A. forum, that you can get Integer/Direct Mode under Windows thanks to some audio drivers, not so easy on a Mac, where you need the XMOS® USB chipset. But I don't know the price of the XMOS®, since this could be the only limitation to DAC manufacturers.

Roch

Hi Roch,

I do not think it really is about the chipset. Drivers are often written using 32bit float values; that gives you quite a bit of headroom, e. g. that would give you eight channels in 24bit same sample rate or lossless digital volume control (if implemented that way); mathswise it does not make any difference whether you'd use 32bit float or 24bit integer, because the device hardware will turn the float values into integer values anyway. In 24 bit integer you will limit yourself to two channels and no further headroom when playing 24bit files. Of course I have not written the Mytek driver, but I know that developers often can't see the difference integer mode would make, although it is just a few lines of code to add to the original driver.

Mytek has dedicated different hardware ins to USB full speed & USB high speed. Integer for the first, float for the latter?

They got a lot of things right with this DAC, probably they had good reasons for it.

@ted_b: had not read your post properly, kind puts it in a nutshell

They are modes of playback available on the Audirvana Plus (MAC) software player, where they bypass certain MAC core audio functions (like floating point math) to produce a straighter path to sound. But the driver of the USB architecture in the DAC must be capable; usually USB Class 2 Audio (not USB 2.0) is a primary prerequisite

Thanks Ted_b

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Not following the driver discussion. Please help!

Have one of the first DSD 192 DACs shipped, I started this thread 2,700 or so posts ago.

Have never upgraded drivers nor cut traces on board. Do not have any DSD files, have 1,700 CD rips plus about 40 hi rez PCM down loads, have not heard why I should download new driver for PCM play. All Mytek driver updates seem to address DSD play. Always a risk that I screw the pooch on any software download that isn't idiot proof, and I have not found any DSD recorded music that I want to listen to, yet.

See that DICE has been updating drivers, so why have they not accommodated integer mode in driver updates? Or have they?

I have 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM and 128 GB SSD on ML OS hooked up with firewire.

Tone with Soul