IGNORED

CD players are back ?

Just now, The_K-Man said:

Is it a production value with that particular recording?

No, the rig itself is misbehaving - if you were listening to, yes, a better sorted system then it wouldn't show these symptoms.

Why I'm making this point is that this is exactly how I evaluate an unknown audio setup ... I'm listening for misbehaviours of certain types.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

No, the rig itself is misbehaving - if you were listening to, yes, a better sorted system then it wouldn't show these symptoms.

Why I'm making this point is that this is exactly how I evaluate an unknown audio setup ... I'm listening for misbehaviours of certain types.

I'm sorry, I just don't hear anything.  And I piped the audio through my full-sized system, as well as Sony headphones.  I hear a lot of 'room', likely from the camera mic, but that's all.

Just now, mansr said:

Can't be. He used the past tense.

There is no indication from his posts that he's overcome this affliction.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Okay, we'll move along a bit, then - the quality of the sound changes as the clip proceeds - the tonality at the beginning is not the same as at the end of the capture ... in what way?

Maybe some issues of the recording device, batteries maybe?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Just now, matthias said:

Maybe some issues of the recording device, batteries maybe?

Matt

Yeah, right ... I've been hearing the same behaviour for decades - but because people haven't been told to listen for this, it's probably "invisible" to them ... "its just the way things are, and probably always will be ...".

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yeah, right ... I've been hearing the same behaviour for decades - but because people haven't been told to listen for this, it's probably "invisible" to them ... "its just the way things are, and probably always will be ...".

Just say WTF it is!  

Distortion?  Aliasing?  Time issues?  

Spit it out!

24 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Just say WTF it is!  

Distortion?  Aliasing?  Time issues?  

Spit it out!

Distortion ... which varies with time. Objectivists are obsessed with the static nature of a system - that it is must be time-invariant! - sorry, boys and girls, the real world isn't so kindergarten like; the parameters that matter can alter over time - to put it another way, audio systems do have memory; how they behave depends upon what occurred earlier. The silly thing is, they accept this to be the case in some situations - but resolutely refuse to consider it in other areas ... a good, "accepted" circumstance is that power amplifiers should be cooked before testing; rev the guts out of them for a certain period, so that "the results are accurate" - I roll my eyes ...

10 minutes ago, diecaster said:

...and anyone who reads this rubbish rolls their eyes!

A trivial example: part of the system relies on battery power - the unit drains steadily, and so the operating characteristics vary - electronics are full of parts that change behaviour for various reasons; it's a constant dance of the elements varying ... of course, it's subtle, and the best designs take all of this into account. But most real world components aren't so robust - and, unfortunately, it's audible ...

Experienced engineers in other fields know that you can never assume anything - people's lives may be on the line. In audio it doesn't matter - so they take the easy path ... "it's all in your head", and the other 1,001 lines ...

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Distortion ... which varies with time. Objectivists are obsessed with the static nature of a system - that it is must be time-invariant! - sorry, boys and girls, the real world isn't so kindergarten like; the parameters that matter can alter over time - to put it another way, audio systems do have memory; how they behave depends upon what occurred earlier.

Is this like a reality distortion field? 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

... it's an actual, very marked characteristic - specifically, it's one that I battled with 30 years ago ...

I' m picturing this...

simpleFrameEngine.php?IMID=9802b3f9-bf79

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Is this like a reality distortion field? 

If it doesn't fall into exactly the right baskets 9_9 ... try another example, shall we - an "accepted" behaviour is that speaker drivers can overheat, suffer "compression distortion" - so that it "sounds different", because just previously we cooked the voice coil ... sometimes, it can be just hard for encrusted brains to step out of their comfort zone - but, hey! I'm a reasonable guy ...

24 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Because you live in an alternate reality where the physics that relate to sound and electronics operate on different foundational principles?

Fortunately, I live in a reality where the difference between audio reproduction which is not audibly faulty, and that which is, is very clear. Those that that need to bounce around the room, insisting I'm invoking some bizarre version of science to explain why that can happen, should get a grip - poor engineering, human laziness, the need to get to product out there and make some money, is plenty enough reasons for why this is so.

What doesn't make logical sense is why so many in audio need to live in a fairyland, where the factors that matter in other fields of human endeavour magically disappear - that's a mystery, to me ^_^.

11 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

I know.  For audiophiles, great sound is not possible with fewer than 6 drivers per cabinet!

It's about how much of the recorded music you wish to listen to.

I have a friend who loves classical music but is content with listening through the speakers of his TV set. Some people are a bit more demanding.

Audiophiles are interested in the sound quality as much as in the music and just like a racing driver wants to extract the maximum performance from his car to get the best handling and the fastest lap time, they want to get the best and/or the most accurate possible reproduction of the recordings.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

13 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

I know.  For audiophiles, great sound is not possible with fewer than 6 drivers per cabinet!

For me, two-way systems are best, maybe with an additional sub woofer.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

14 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

It's not the amount that is important but the number of ways. But you wouldn't know...

Try playing a symphony with a single-driver speaker, but listen to the same work live first.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)