IGNORED

GentooPlayer

On 7/9/2020 at 8:50 PM, al2813 said:

Wow, first of all Gentooplayer is a game changer for me (and now I understand why you recommended it to me on another thread I opened). The depth and sound stage using the same HW with Roon is just so much better than with Ropieee. This weekend when I get a couple of extra micro sd cards I will try to A/B them even though there will be a gap as I’ll need to swap sd cards. 

now Squeezelite wins. The distance  isn’t huge. It is there for sure when both are native (eg. Roberta Flack Killing me softly master edition 96/24 on Qobuz. When Squeezelite needs to convert eg. Dire Straits first album which I have in DSD, than I think it is still marginally Sounds better. In any case Gentooplayer is just amazing! 

A couple of days with the USBridge Sig and the Revolution DAC. Unlike with my previous setup (RPI4 and Topping D50s), I feel that going directly to the DAC (so using the Roon Bridge) delivers better sound that Squeezelite. Will continue playing - still need to order a power supply. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:10 AM, al2813 said:

A couple of days with the USBridge Sig and the Revolution DAC. Unlike with my previous setup (RPI4 and Topping D50s), I feel that going directly to the DAC (so using the Roon Bridge) delivers better sound that Squeezelite. Will continue playing - still need to order a power supply. 

With the Revolution DAC - if you have a semi-powerful computer that can send everything at DSD256 to NAA running on the USBridge Signature, I recommend giving it a try.  

Also, if you're looking at different power supplies, Allo's Shanti is nice and 1 Shanti can power both the USBridge Signature and Revolution DAC.

5 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I've just upgraded to a new 6 core Intel 8086k processor.

What are the best settings / optimisations for this processor in Gentoo Player please using HQ Player for playback?

Hqplayer must use all the cpus as he requires them, it is better not to change the settings, leave it to hqplayer and the kernel.But with such a powerful system, I would recompile the system and the kernels too.

24 minutes ago, media-mogul said:

Hi,

I've had a brief play around with gentooplayer after installing it. There is a lot I don't know/understand. Can someone tell me whether/how it indexes my library so that I can play music with it?

GentooPlayer is a platform of software that can do a lot of different things.  

So one example to answer your question is to run Logitech Media Server (LMS) to index and a manage the library.  Then you would run the Squeezelite player software to actually connect to the DAC for playback.  Both of those software packages run on the same box nicely.  I am slowing working on a mini-guide on how to set that up.

The other main system is Roon Server.  Again install the server and go.  BUT Roon does not run without a license that costs real money!

As LMS is open source and free I would look at that first.  There are a lot of resources out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server

LMS is really pretty nice.  There are multiple components.  Server, player and control point.  

I am sure that this will produce a lot more questions.

bob

38 minutes ago, media-mogul said:

Hi,

I've had a brief play around with gentooplayer after installing it. There is a lot I don't know/understand. Can someone tell me whether/how it indexes my library so that I can play music with it?

I don't know, it depends on what software you're using...

https://sites.google.com/view/gentooplayer-documentation/installation

https://sites.google.com/view/gentooplayer-documentation/info-software/mpd

https://sites.google.com/view/gentooplayer-documentation/info-software/mympd

44 minutes ago, bobfa said:

LMS is really pretty nice.  There are multiple components.  Server, player and control point.  

I am sure that this will produce a lot more questions.

bob

Thanks. A question I have is that I have been previously using Jriver Media Centre running on a custom PC. Can gentooplayer be used with jriver serving the files?

On 7/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, bobfa said:

I have been using GentooPlayer on my Allo USBridge Signature for a long time.  I am in the middle of testing a new Roon server using GentooPlayer.  I have changed several things in my system of late and so there is some getting used to the changes going on.

Hi Bobfa,

I am also using Allo Usb Sig with R2. (Server is on a Pc running AudioLinux and Roon)

Which Profile setting are you using in Gp?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

>>>How do I configure it to work with USBridge Sig? It asks to select audiocard but I have none installed. USBridge connects to my DAC over USB.

If you can ssh in, I think the best way to do this is to first set the audio output and then run through the Wizard Configuration script.

Here is info copied from post #412 in this thread:

11)  Issue the gp-menu command.

12) Choose 3 (choice of audio output).

13) For USB output on Allo device, choose 2 (DAC USB).  For SPDIF output on Digione Signature, choose 5 (Allo DigiOne Signature).  The system will reboot.

14) After about 30 seconds or so, ssh in again.

15) If you want to run squeezelite, squeezelite-R2, or mpd, run the Wizard configuration script.  To do that: gp-menu command, then choice 8 (Wizard configurations, Mpd, squeezelite, squeezelite-R2).  Instructions for each step - q to exit viewer, escape key, choose card number, confirm, q to exit viewer, choose max sample rate supported, confirm, choose minimum sample rate supported, confirm, confirm selected sampling rate, y or n (to start mpd), y or n (to start squeezelite-R2), y or n to start squeezelite.

Note - I think that the Wizard Configuration is now choice 7 (instead of 8).

14 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

You should find the name of your usb dac ...

I have it working now and the sound quality is excellent. Very happy - thank you!

Another question I have though is whether gentooplayer can be detected by google home so I can play music from my phone? I have jremote on my phone but it isn't seeing the usbridge. Ability to play via spotify connect would be great too.