IGNORED

GentooPlayer

First time user with a couple of questions I couldn't find in the earlier messages:

1) How do I rename the player, both the network name to something like "gentooplayer-livingroom.local" and the UPNP to something similar? Now the UPNP is automatically "GentooPlayer-UPNP". The problem is that I have more than one RPi 4 with GentooPlayer on the same network and would like to identify clearly which is which.

2) I tried updating to the latest RT kernel (4.19.106-200307-RT) and I get one of two errors:

https://github.com/antonellocaroli/GP-Rpi4-Kernel/releases/download/4.19.106-200307-RT/GP-Rpi4-Kernel-RT-4.19.106-200307.tar.xz

a. Either 404 not found OR

b. "ERROR: cannot verify github.com's certificate"

How do I get past this?

1 hour ago, Plato65 said:

First time user with a couple of questions I couldn't find in the earlier messages:

1) How do I rename the player, both the network name to something like "gentooplayer-livingroom.local" and the UPNP to something similar? Now the UPNP is automatically "GentooPlayer-UPNP". The problem is that I have more than one RPi 4 with GentooPlayer on the same network and would like to identify clearly which is which.

you have to edit the configuration file of upmpdcli

nano /etc/upmpdcli.conf

2) I tried updating to the latest RT kernel (4.19.106-200307-RT) and I get one of two errors:

https://github.com/antonellocaroli/GP-Rpi4-Kernel/releases/download/4.19.106-200307-RT/GP-Rpi4-Kernel-RT-4.19.106-200307.tar.xz

a. Either 404 not found OR

b. "ERROR: cannot verify github.com's certificate"

I don't think you ever gave gp-update

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

you have to edit the configuration file of upmpdcli

nano /etc/upmpdcli.conf

I don't think you ever gave gp-update

Ok. I did the gp-update, but first I had to remove the RAM disk. But trying to get the RT kernel, I now get this error:

2020-07-06 11:42:50 (8.89 MB/s) - ‘GP-Rpi4-Kernel-4.19.106-200307-RT.tar.xz’ saved [29516188/29516188]

tar: GP-Rpi3-Kernel-4.19.106-200307-RT.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

So it downloaded the correct RPi4 version, but then tried to open the RPi3 version, which doesn't exist.

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't understand why you have to use user and password...I never had to put them in... it works fine for me...

What do you connect to? Do you have a premium spotify accaunt?

what is CAD=Two?

Not "CAD=Two" it's "CARD=Two"

It's one of the options I get after giving the "aplay -L" command. (Not sure if ti's the right one though)

Yes I have premium account!

Whenever I set up librespot in other OS or Spotty (LMS plugin) it needed username and password. 

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

17 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Not "CAD=Two" it's "CARD=Two"

It's one of the options I get after giving the "aplay -L" command. (Not sure if ti's the right one though)

Yes I have premium account!

Whenever I set up librespot in other OS or Spotty (LMS plugin) it needed username and password. 

I don't know, never used the lms plugin.

I use directly the application of spotify, or on mobile phone or pc, never problems.

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

Ok, gp-update and try again...

Ok. It worked now. Thanks.

Is there some info on the feature differences between the different kernels? For instance, GentooPlayer-RT-ST vs. GentooPlayer-RT-MIN?

5 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't know, never used the lms plugin.

I use directly the application of spotify, or on mobile phone or pc, never problems.

without premium account?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

12 minutes ago, Plato65 said:

Ok. It worked now. Thanks.

Is there some info on the feature differences between the different kernels? For instance, GentooPlayer-RT-ST vs. GentooPlayer-RT-MIN?

https://github.com/gentooplayer/gentooplayer.github.io/wiki/Kernel

10 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

without premium account?

no, always with accaunt premium, but without entering credentials in the librespot configuration file.

48 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

All the ones that I consider useless for audio use, the list would be really long, including Wi-fi.....

Right, but would that not be true of both "GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-EUP100" and "GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH"? So what's the difference?

11 minutes ago, Plato65 said:

Right, but would that not be true of both "GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-EUP100" and "GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH"? So what's the difference?

Plato65, 
not getting into kernel details, they have different ways of handling the system at a low level and have different latencies. If you have the will and time to try them and choose the one you like best, otherwise you live happily with one of the kernels -ST- that have most distributions...

1 hour ago, Plato65 said:

I know some of the settings

RT is Real-time kernel

MIN is minimal system (get rid of non audio stuff)

NOGRAPH is no graphics

EUP. I think is interrupt timers. He has a couple.

The problem with documenting all of this is that it creates support questions.,  They do not want to explain all the reasons for the selections. I get that.  The philosophy is to just try it!  

I am testing right now with the default standard kernel and Profile 1.  Today I am going to move to real time kernel and see what it sounds like with Profile 1

AMD Ryzen system trouble changing Kernel

I have used the default kernel and I am trying to boot to either a real time kernel or just the MIN ST kernel.  When I do that the machine fails to boot.  This machine was booted from a USB stick then copied to the internal Optane drive.  (I can re-run that and check).  

bob

IMG_1703.thumb.jpeg.e2fcb3ff86eb44795e5162e6fb74fb94.jpeg

16 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I have used the default kernel and I am trying to boot to either a real time kernel or just the MIN ST kernel.  When I do that the machine fails to boot.  This machine was booted from a USB stick then copied to the internal Optane drive.  (I can re-run that and check).  

bob

IMG_1703.thumb.jpeg.e2fcb3ff86eb44795e5162e6fb74fb94.jpeg

does it from both the usb and the internal drive?
with all the kernels?

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

Interesting post from Austinpop:

What is Gentoo Players behaviour with regards to prefetching files / data?  Thanks

you can use a ramdiskmusic for local files,

If you use squeezelite, you can increase the buffers...

if it was possible to have whole tracks, from streaming services like tidal and qobuz, it would also be possible to save files without paying qobuz...it would be enough to copy files from the cache to the disk...and it would not even be legal. That sounds like a lot of words.....

21 hours ago, bobfa said:

Hey Bob, nice avatar you got there, I received that error in the past when installing processor kernel updates with Intel so I guess this is not only related to AMD, my solution was to imaged a new flash drive, I discarded my AMD system, sold CPU on ebay and getting and Intel cpu and board now, AMD although very good it just gives errors, there's not even governors on AMD and performance with HQP (which I'm a big fan) it is just not there.

Take care

Luis

20 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

you can use a ramdiskmusic for local files,

If you use squeezelite, you can increase the buffers...

if it was possible to have whole tracks, from streaming services like tidal and qobuz, it would also be possible to save files without paying qobuz...it would be enough to copy files from the cache to the disk...and it would not even be legal. That sounds like a lot of words.....

I think the behaviour was of interest because it minimises network activity, thereby providing potential for further improved sound quality regardless of if ramdisk is used or now...  in otherwords the 'Buffer Queue to RAM' in Euphony for example is additional to running OS in RAM by how I understand it.

Hello, my bruteFIR is working with mod so far, that's good.

I got my USB input to be seen by arecord -l, also good. But, here it comes...

2013-11-28
There was a typo in the last uploaded 1.0m release causing the S24_LE/S24_3LE formats to break for input. So if you downloaded 1.0m yesterday please do it again.

2013-11-27
BruteFIR v1.0m. Fixed a rare race condition bug and further synchronized sample formats with ALSA, 
so now S24_4LE means low 24 bits of 32 bit word. 
Thus if you used S24_4LE before you should use S32_LE now to get the old behavior.

2009-03-31
BruteFIR v1.0k. Refreshed JACK and ALSA I/O modules to catch up with changes in the APIs.

This is the Changelog from Brutefir. 

My USB-Input card can not output anything else than S24_3LE now guess whats the latest BruteFIR version available via gentoo packages? v1.0k. of course... That means brutefir does not accept S24_3LE and crashes on start.....

Is there any way to force this update or any idea how I can work around this?