IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

43 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

There seem to be also somewhat some more hf noise coming from the mobo usb. 

I need to do some more listening and also try to use the tx usb ultra after the mobo usb. 

I made up a USB connector from a cheap cable to connect to my txUSBHUB-in, (in effect a txUSBUltra). Even with this cable the sound gets smoother and more focused and image improves, so I need a proper cable made up.

I will try that too , the usb câble between mobo and tx usb ultra is much less sensitive than the one from tx usb ultra to dac. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

19 hours ago, bobfa said:

Found an interesting SSH program

https://www.termius.com/#terminals

Just played a little bit on my Mac.  Seems to work.  Need to understand the configurations better.  You can run without an account on their syncing service.  Small print on the startup dialog.

macOS comes with ssh built-in... Is there a reason to use something else?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

macOS comes with ssh built-in... Is there a reason to use something else?

Termius runs on my Android tablet, which probably has a built in ssh as well, and it's kinda slick with easy to resize text, good keyboard, easy to setup hostname and security details.

Recommended for Android!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 hours ago, lmitche said:

Termius runs on my Android tablet, which probably has a built in ssh as well, and it's kinda slick with easy to resize text, good keyboard, easy to setup hostname and security details.

Android doesn't have ssh built in, so you need some third party solution. I know some people use JuiceSSH.

I'm just personally fairly reserved about possible security of non-original ssh implementations... Not so easy to get implementation right and secure... IIRC, now Microsoft is also adding the "original" OpenSSH to Windows.

Would be interesting to know if those third party ones use original OpenSSH code or something else. I know PuTTY on Windows has it's own implementation because I've made my own version of it with some security improvements.

Also the Windows Git client comes with ssh, which I believe is version of OpenSSH.

A second question then I'll leave everyone alone... 

I can play upsampled to dsd512 tracks from tidal via the above setup when my switch is set to 1000mbps but I get the dreaded tidal 'network slow' error message and the accompanying track skips when I set the ports of the switch to 100mpbs (which I find sounds better). 

Same issue with a cisco 2960 8tc l switch, which obviously only has 100mbps ports so it's not a switch specific issue. 

As far as I understand dsd512 shouldn't put an unsustainable strain on a bandwidth of 100mbps as the data rates should be just under 50mbps.

Unless I'm wrong... Which happens... A lot. 

Wanted to share a phenomenon powering the i7 NUC (DNBE) with the LPS1.2. I've noticed a "warm up" effect in terms of how tolerant the LPS1.2 is with power hungry options.

I had the NUC running on AL ramroot, extreme 2, 4 cores active, low power mode which was stable and going for days (perhaps 1.5 weeks). Then we had a power outage so the NUC was off for a few days (including after power outage). When I restarted the NUC it would not boot despite trying 10+ times to boot, with the exact same settings.

The only way I could get it going was by going 1 core active, AL normal BFQ (no extreme). Gradually after the LPS1.2 warmed up, I added back the other options one by one until I was back to where I was before the power outage.

@Superdad is there any documented increase in LPS1.2 current output as it warms up?

Yeang

Can someone clarify my understanding of SpeedStep and Turbo mode, and correlate it with the Governor settings in Audiolinux?

As many have found, turning off turbo mode and speed step in the BIOS can improve SQ. But what does this mean from an OS perspective? Let's break this down. With the NUC7PJYH, the processor,  Pentium J5005 has a base frequency of 1500 MHz and a burst frequency of 2800 MHz. 

Assertion 1: by turning turbo mode off, the max frequency the OS can set the CPU is the base, i.e. 1500 MHz. Is this correct?

However, when I boot up Audiolinux, and run 

• pstate-frequency -G

I get this:

pstate-frequency version 3.10.0
    pstate::CPU_DRIVER   -> intel_pstate
    pstate::CPU_GOVERNOR -> performance
    pstate::TURBO        -> 1 [OFF]
    pstate::CPU_MIN      -> 53% [800000KHz]
    pstate::CPU_MAX      -> 100% [1500000KHz]

This suggests that while turning off turbo in the bias limits the frequency to a max of the base (1500), it does not preclude the OS from lowering it.

Aha! So it that what Piero's CPU Governor setting is? Let's try it tout-de-suite. I set "21. Set CPU Governor to MAX". Now I see this:

pstate::TURBO        -> 1 [OFF]
    pstate::CPU_MIN      -> 99% [1485000KHz]
    pstate::CPU_MAX      -> 100% [1500000KHz]

Which looks promising, except for a question that hopefully Piero @hifi25nl can clarify. The governor setting doesn't persist across reboots. Can it be made to be permanent?

On my Dell machine, which is my Roon Server, I have a different issue: for some reason, even if I set Turbo and SpeedStep to Disabled in my BIOS, Audiolinux seems to re-enable it.

pstate::TURBO        -> 0 [ON]
    pstate::CPU_MIN      -> 20% [800000KHz]
    pstate::CPU_MAX      -> 100% [3900000KHz]

Note how TURBO is ON, and CPU_MAX is 3900 MHz which is the burst frequency of the i7-4770 CPU.

Is there any way I can get the kernel to respect the BIOS setting?

9 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

You can try to disable  the systemd service pstate-frequency:

systemctl disable pstate-frequency 

Configuration can be found at /etc/pstate-frequency.d/

Wiki about CPU frequency scaling: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling

Thanks for the pointers Piero.

I've played a little with it, and I think the key parameters are actually:

PLAN_CPU_MAX=100

PLAN_CPU_MIN=100

PLAN_CPU_PSTATE_GOVERNOR=performance

PLAN_CPU_TURBO=off

The above essentially runs the CPU at the base frequency (no turbo boost, no lowering of frequency). @hifi25nl - could you confirm my understanding that:

• pstate-frequency settings affect the CPU frequency
  • while the EXTREME2 parameter idle=poll affects whether the CPU goes into the HALT state during idle?

The combination of the above essentially removes variance, at the cost of very high temperatures (potentially).

If the above was a bunch gobbledygook for you, here's the key thing to look at: go into menu > Status > CPU Frequency

1. What is the frequency, Kenneth? Make a note.
  2. Look up the frequency spec of your CPU. For example, the Pentium J5005 has a base frequency of 1500 MHz and a burst frequency of 2800 MHz. 
  3. If the frequency listed above is very close to the base frequency, you are all set!

Do the above check when the system is completely idle - turn off all audio services, then wait a couple of minutes. If the frequency doesn't change, then you don't need to mess with any of this Governor stuff.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for the pointers Piero.

I've played a little with it, and I think the key parameters are actually:

PLAN_CPU_MAX=100

PLAN_CPU_MIN=100

PLAN_CPU_PSTATE_GOVERNOR=performance

PLAN_CPU_TURBO=off

The above essentially runs the CPU at the base frequency (no turbo boost, no lowering of frequency). @hifi25nl - could you confirm my understanding that:

• pstate-frequency settings affect the CPU frequency
  • while the EXTREME2 parameter idle=poll affects whether the CPU goes into the HALT state during idle?

The combination of the above essentially removes variance, at the cost of very high temperatures (potentially).

If the above was a bunch gobbledygook for you, here's the key thing to look at: go into menu > Status > CPU Frequency

1. What is the frequency, Kenneth? Make a note.
  2. Look up the frequency spec of your CPU. For example, the Pentium J5005 has a base frequency of 1500 MHz and a burst frequency of 2800 MHz. 
  3. If the frequency listed above is very close to the base frequency, you are all set!

Do the above check when the system is completely idle - turn off all audio services, then wait a couple of minutes. If the frequency doesn't change, then you don't need to mess with any of this Governor stuff.

Yes, this is right.

pstate-frequency set the processor frequency,

intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1 idle=poll set the CPU "sleep states"

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

Can someone clarify my understanding of SpeedStep and Turbo mode, and correlate it with the Governor settings in Audiolinux?

As many have found, turning off turbo mode and speed step in the BIOS can improve SQ. But what does this mean from an OS perspective? Let's break this down. With the NUC7PJYH, the processor,  Pentium J5005 has a base frequency of 1500 MHz and a burst frequency of 2800 MHz. 

With Turbo Boost, some cores can run at higher frequency than others as long as the total TDP is not exceeded. This is helpful for cases where core load is uneven, some cores at lower load than others.

Thermal management in Linux moves uneven loads from core to another to reduce uneven thermal stress on the processor.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:37 PM, rickca said:

I made a copy of my USB stick on a hard drive of my Windows 10 machine by using ImageUSB.  It has an option that says 'Create image from USB drive'.  It actually creates a .bin file that is the size of your USB flash drive.  You can then use ImageUSB to create a new USB flash drive ... that's how it's supposed to work, I haven't tested my backup procedure yet!

I tested this backup procedure today and it works perfectly.  Although it copies the entire USB flash drive (not just allocated space) it is actually quite fast.  On my i7-6700K a 64GB USB 3.0 stick took less than 10 minutes to 'create image from USB drive' and again less than 10 minutes to 'write image to USB drive'.  You can probably cut the time in half by using a 32GB USB flash drive.  Note I got these results with a USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme.  

Given the reliability of USB sticks I always make a backup after any significant changes that I want to preserve going forward.  You never know when your USB stick is going to fail or get corrupted.  Yet another reason to put your Roon database on an Optane SSD.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I was helping out @bobfa to get his Roon Server to boot off of an Optane NVMe SSD. Since he was able to get it done succesdfully, the side benefit are my notes, which resulted in a HOW-TO Guide, included below.

I am looking into having two NUC machines running Audio Linux in my system, server, and a network bridge.  Both are running Roon software.

Rajiv sent me his document to kick off my idea of taking my NUC network bridge and turning it into a Music server.  It did not sound like it would be hard just challenging as I am not fluent in Linux.    First I had to upgrade the NUC with an Optane Stick.

IMG_0845.thumb.jpeg.704a4066b8218e5d33f48eb312c2da4d.jpeg

I purchased a 32Gb stick to install in the Akasa NUC

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.2052f3937fc23da3a154d8e798f3e9fd.jpeg

As I showed in the initial build, there are four screws to take the top off of the case.  The NUC7i7DNBE has two M.2 slots.  The one closest to the board is for the Intel WiFi/Bluetooth radio card.  The slot that is further away is the 80mm long slot for PCIE NVME SSD, and it is Optane ready.  There is a small screw that holds down the end of the card.  Make sure to use proper anti-static precautions here.  Remove that little screw.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.ca6a3102cce23472ad54059ad6cf7866.jpeg

The plug the card into the M.2 slot and replace the screw holding down the M.2 card.

IMG_0849.thumb.jpeg.0f483fcfb4f0aed9f0fbf63380a37019.jpeg

Here is the overall picture of the inside of the case with the Optane card installed.

IMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.d079aecc7c5ffec98d6da92853ccab52.jpeg

I the BIOS I had to turn that M.2 slot back on.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.c8442dedcbc913abdeffc62cabba8672.jpeg

Notice that the BIOS shows that there is a card in the slot.  Just check the box shown and save the BIOS and exit.

It took me some time to work through the process that @austinpop provided.  I had to relearn some stuff and LEARN some more stuff.  The drive and partition ID scheme is Linux is a bit different that MacOS and Windows.  I made a couple of typing mistakes and had to redo a couple of steps!  I had a couple of stumbling blocks, but we worked those out.  Oh and one email to @hifi25nl when I got desperate, but Rajiv had already solved it!

The NUC is setup on my test bench and connected to the network along with a keyboard and display.  I did most of the work on my 27in screen iMac so that I could have the document and a shell into the NUC side by side.  I found that the nano editor works fine for me but it was not working right in Termius so I just opened the Unix Terminal on the Mac and SSHed into the NUC.  

I have my music library stored in three places for "safety." My Sonic Transporter has it stored internally, and it is on my QNAP NAS.   I setup Roon on the NUC server to access the library from the NAS.  Roon is still crunching in the background fingerprinting the music.

I have one more step on the bench to complete.  I am setting up a network bridge on AL so that I isolate the main stereo endpoint.

The NUC server will be on my basement equipment rack with the NAS.  Both will be powered by the HDPLEX 200.  I will be testing with a couple of network bridge endpoints shortly.

MANY MANY thanks to @austinpop

4 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I am looking into having two NUC machines running Audio Linux in my system, server, and a network bridge.  Both are running Roon software.

Rajiv sent me his document to kick off my idea of taking my NUC network bridge and turning it into a Music server.  It did not sound like it would be hard just challenging as I am not fluent in Linux.    First I had to upgrade the NUC with an Optane Stick.

As I showed in the initial build, there are four screws to take the top off of the case.  The NUC7i7DNBE has two M.2 slots.  The one closest to the board is for the Intel WiFi/Bluetooth radio card.  The slot that is further away is the 80mm long slot for PCIE NVME SSD, and it is Optane ready.  There is a small screw that holds down the end of the card.  Make sure to use proper anti-static precautions here.  Remove that little screw.

The plug the card into the M.2 slot and replace the screw holding down the M.2 card.

Here is the overall picture of the inside of the case with the Optane card installed.

Notice that the BIOS shows that there is a card in the slot.  Just check the box shown and save the BIOS and exit.

It took me some time to work through the process that @austinpop provided.  I had to relearn some stuff and LEARN some more stuff.  The drive and partition ID scheme is Linux is a bit different that MacOS and Windows.  I made a couple of typing mistakes and had to redo a couple of steps!  I had a couple of stumbling blocks, but we worked those out.  Oh and one email to @hifi25nl when I got desperate, but Rajiv had already solved it!

The NUC is setup on my test bench and connected to the network along with a keyboard and display.  I did most of the work on my 27in screen iMac so that I could have the document and a shell into the NUC side by side.  I found that the nano editor works fine for me but it was not working right in Termius so I just opened the Unix Terminal on the Mac and SSHed into the NUC.  

I have my music library stored in three places for "safety." My Sonic Transporter has it stored internally, and it is on my QNAP NAS.   I setup Roon on the NUC server to access the library from the NAS.  Roon is still crunching in the background fingerprinting the music.

I have one more step on the bench to complete.  I am setting up a network bridge on AL so that I isolate the main stereo endpoint.

The NUC server will be on my basement equipment rack with the NAS.  Both will be powered by the HDPLEX 200.  I will be testing with a couple of network bridge endpoints shortly.

There should be a heatsink kit that comes with the Plato X7D for the NVME SSD.

42 minutes ago, bobfa said:

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.3ba46d42da841d642b7c36259fdf2716.jpeg

The

42 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Folks I forgot to add the heatsink to the Optane SSD!!  Using the pad attach the heatsink to the SSD!

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.3ba46d42da841d642b7c36259fdf2716.jpegIMG_0857.thumb.jpeg.6ad3e6458349fedc0cc4ec9c0b2b499b.jpegIMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.27cebb890817c5b0e6b66213d05eb52b.jpeg

Roon audio device issue with two AL machines in the same network. @hifi25nl any ideas?  Anyone else? @austinpop 

I have one AL NUC machine running Roon Core. 

I have a Sonic Transporter running  Roon Core 

I have a second AL NUC  running RoonBridge

• When the Sonic Transporter is the Roon Core the NUC running roonbridge shows the DAC hooked to the USB port in Roon Audio Settings
  • When the NUC AL machine is the Roon Core the same NUC endpoint does not show the DAC hooked up to the USB port in Roon  Audio Settings.
  • ALSO when the two NUCs are running the devices "Connected to CORE" do not show up at all.  If I shut down the NUC running roonbridge the "connected to Core" devices appear.

This is weird to me.  Of note that both of the AL machines are built from the same download of AL and have been updated online.  (I should be properly licensed to run two)

NOTE: I built a new USB stick today for the roonbridge machine just to test.