IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

14 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

You can check the just made mounts with the command

mount

Modifications to /etc/fstab will not be saved if you are in ram mode, even if you select save system. 

I suggest to boot in normal mode if you want to configure drive mount. 

I will add an explanation in the next version. 

you may also want to elaborate on ramroot remove vs ramroot disable. Menu doesn't properly recognize ramroot is not running if you use disable.

I did try a second time from clean boot, before any call to use ramroot, had same result.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

The command 

ramroot disable

Is not recommended. It is not used in menu and not mentioned in the guide. 

Audiolinux users should not use it, since it could lead to some unpredictable behavior. 

Ughhh!  I've used it once in the past.  I hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

One step forward, 2 steps backwards - an update on my AL adventures (or should that be misadventures).

Part 1 - Popped the popping sound

So my one step forward is that I had a brainwave that helped me get my i7DNBE board working nicely with my LPS-1.2

Long story short the SMS-500 was plugged into my AudioQuest Niagara powerstrip and the LPS-1.2 was plugged into a standard wall socket. Swapped them and the popping sound was now gone. The technical details of why this may be are over my head but it also explains why I was the only one reporting this popping noise on the LPS-1.2. Must have been something specific to how my system is hooked up.

Part 2 - Lost stability and losing my mind with Roon!

After fixing the popping sound I also downloaded AL0.7 and updated both the Server & Endpoint to use this latest version. In both cases I did a complete install from scratch on using Rufus to create the USB drives and then configuring them. I followed the steps that are now becoming all too familiar to me.

Renamed each device using: hostnamectl set-hostname

Mounted the SSD on the Server using: nano -w /etc/fstab

Set each device to boot in Extreme2 mode and set Realtime priority to Extreme.

Then once configured and playing nicely I set each to RamRoot, rebooted, saved and started playing.

And it sounds terrific.

But to paraphrase Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, then came the bad times ?

It plays fine. But once left for a while when I go back to play again nothing will play. I select an album and each track skips through quickly without making a sound. Previously when I'd encountered similar issues power cycling my DAC (PS Audio Directstream) resolved this but it doesn't work now. Rebooting either the EndPoint or the Server results in either Roon cannot see the EndPoint at all. Or Roon can see the Endpoint but cannot see it having a USB connected DAC.

Long story short over the last few days I find that rebooting the Server is the best option but it takes 2 to 3 reboots before it sees the USB Endpoint. This will last for a while and then drop.

I've also reinstalled both the Endpoint and the Servers version of AL - must be three times each now. Works for a bit and then drops out and needs several reboots to kick back in.

So I'm tearing my hair out wrt what to try next. Do I revert to an earlier version of AL? Is there some sort of best practice for which unit (Endpoint running Roon Bridge or Server running Roon Server) to configure and save to Ramroot first? Does the Ramroot AL server use the SSD for anything other that locating the music (i.e. is it saving anything that's tripping the settings up)?

Not sure if I've done anything stupid in the setup but I don't think so as it seems a fairly simple process:

1. Flash new image to USB drive

2. Change hostname

2b. Mount SSD (server only)

3. Boot and change to Extreme Boot mode

4. Reboot and change RealTime to Extreme

5. Enable Roon Bridge/Roon Server

6. Set to RamRoot and reboot

7. Boot and Save

But several attempts later and I'm finding it impossible to create a stable enough version that lasts more than an hour or so.

Any thoughts on what to look at or advice on best practice?

I'm wondering what the sonic hit is on installing Roon ROCK on the server to see if that's more stable

Cheers,

Alan

I would try deleting the roon id file on the endpoint... Or even both ?

9 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

One step forward, 2 steps backwards - an update on my AL adventures (or should that be misadventures).

So my one step forward is that I had a brainwave that helped me get my i7DNBE board working nicely with my LPS-1.2

Long story short the SMS-500 was plugged into my AudioQuest Niagara powerstrip and the LPS-1.2 was plugged into a standard wall socket. Swapped them and the popping sound was now gone. The technical details of why this may be are over my head but it also explains why I was the only one reporting this popping noise on the LPS-1.2. Must have been something specific to how my system is hooked up.

After fixing the popping sound I also downloaded AL0.7 and updated both the Server & Endpoint to use this latest version. In both cases I did a complete install from scratch on using Rufus to create the USB drives and then configuring them. I followed the steps that are now becoming all too familiar to me.

Then once configured and playing nicely I set each to RamRoot, rebooted, saved and started playing.

And it sounds terrific.

It plays fine. But once left for a while when I go back to play again nothing will play. I select an album and each track skips through quickly without making a sound. Previously when I'd encountered similar issues power cycling my DAC (PS Audio Directstream) resolved this but it doesn't work now. Rebooting either the EndPoint or the Server results in either Roon cannot see the EndPoint at all. Or Roon can see the Endpoint but cannot see it having a USB connected DAC.

Long story short over the last few days I find that rebooting the Server is the best option but it takes 2 to 3 reboots before it sees the USB Endpoint. This will last for a while and then drop.

I've also reinstalled both the Endpoint and the Servers version of AL - must be three times each now. Works for a bit and then drops out and needs several reboots to kick back in.

So I'm tearing my hair out wrt what to try next. Do I revert to an earlier version of AL? Is there some sort of best practice for which unit (Endpoint running Roon Bridge or Server running Roon Server) to configure and save to Ramroot first? Does the Ramroot AL server use the SSD for anything other that locating the music (i.e. is it saving anything that's tripping the settings up)?

Not sure if I've done anything stupid in the setup but I don't think so as it seems a fairly simple process:

2. Change hostname

7. Boot and Save

But several attempts later and I'm finding it impossible to create a stable enough version that lasts more than an hour or so.

I'm wondering what the sonic hit is on installing Roon ROCK on the server to see if that's more stable

Cheers,

Alan

Switch to root user and type in 

rm /var/roon/RAATServer/Settings/unique_id

On your endpoint...then reboot or restart roon bridge... Hopefully that will solve your problems... It solved my issues with recognising my endpoint 

5 hours ago, Bricki said:

Switch to root user and type in 

rm /var/roon/RAATServer/Settings/unique_id

On your endpoint...then reboot or restart roon bridge... Hopefully that will solve your problems... It solved my issues with recognising my endpoint 

Thanks @Bricki

Can I do this whilst in Ramroot mode, just as long as I save my system afterwards?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

54 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @Bricki

Can I do this whilst in Ramroot mode, just as long as I save my system afterwards?

Cheers,

Alan

I think so... I'm pretty sure I've done it that way a few times.... Last time I did it was when upgrading to 0.7 and I deleted the file before enabling ramroot on both server and endpoint... Let us know how you go ??

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 1:48 AM, BigAlMc said:

And it sounds terrific.

2. Change hostname

7. Boot and Save

Cheers,

Alan

I  have encountered situation that is a little similar to your case. Originally, the AL 0.5 worked fine on my system. But after I had upgraded it to 0.7 with web interface access according to the procedure provided by Piero in the messages on this thread days ago, I had encountered about 5 times of system hang or suspension with the display of some unknown messages. Previously, I noticed that each system problem occurred just after I had update the system kernel by selecting this option on the menu. Each time after encountered this problem, I had to re-installed AL 0.5 from scratch and then update it to 0.7 or 0.8.

After two such undesirable experience, I did not dare to update the kernel again. I had also reported the case to Piero. He then asked me about the messages displayed. Because of this, I had tried to update the kernel again. In accordance to my previous observations, the same problem happened again. Then I captured the screenshot of the messages to Piero for his reference. Then I re-installed AL 0.5 and upgraded it to 0.7 or 0.8. I did also try to update the kernel manually according to the procedure on AudioLinux website instead of using the menu option in order to check if there was any difference. Unfortunately, the system problem happened again. This was the fourth times that I had to re-install AL 0.5 from scratch and upgrade it to 0.8.

Piero had told me that it might be because that the latest kernel does not compatible, and told me not to update until the kernel will be updated again later on to fix it.

Then AL 0.8 works well for a few days. However, even though I have not updated the kernel, the system suspension has occurred two times again today. After two times of reboot, it seems to resume working for the time being. But it seems the AL  0.8 is not quite stable now.

2 hours ago, simonklp said:

I  have encountered situation that is a little similar to your case. Originally, the AL 0.5 worked fine on my system. But after I had upgraded it to 0.7 with web interface access according to the procedure provided by Piero in the messages on this thread days ago, I had encountered about 5 times of system hang or suspension with the display of some unknown messages. Previously, I noticed that each system problem occurred just after I had update the system kernel by selecting this option on the menu. Each time after encountered this problem, I had to re-installed AL 0.5 from scratch and then update it to 0.7 or 0.8.

After two such undesirable experience, I did not dare to update the kernel again. I had also reported the case to Piero. He then asked me about the messages displayed. Because of this, I had tried to update the kernel again. In accordance to my previous observations, the same problem happened again. Then I captured the screenshot of the messages to Piero for his reference. Then I re-installed AL 0.5 and upgraded it to 0.7 or 0.8. I did also try to update the kernel manually according to the procedure on AudioLinux website instead of using the menu option in order to check if there was any difference. Unfortunately, the system problem happened again. This was the fourth times that I had to re-install AL 0.5 from scratch and upgrade it to 0.8.

Piero had told me that it might be because that the latest kernel does not compatible, and told me not to update until the kernel will be updated again later on to fix it.

Then AL 0.8 works well for a few days. However, even though I have not updated the kernel, the system suspension has occurred two times again today. After two times of reboot, it seems to resume working for the time being. But it seems the AL  0.8 is not quite stable now.

Thanks @simonklp

I'm going to try deleting the Roon Unique ID as advised by Bricki. If that doesn't work I might try reverting to 0.6 as that was stable previously. Because if nothing else that will allow me to rule out whether it's something in the latest releases that's causing the instability.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Question for @afrancois or @hifi25nl

I've been using Putty to configure my AL NUCs and WINSCP to look at file structures and move certain files.

In Putty it's simple to get Root access via SU. But I WINSCP I find that I don't have the right to edit/delete or create files in certain folders as they are locked to Root access.

So is there a simple way to log into AL with Root access using WINSCP?

Many Thanks,

Alan

5 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

You can try to access as root user instead of audiolinux

In sshd_config root login is allowed with

PermitRootLogin yes

Thanks Piero,

Just to clarify.

I need to edit the sshd_config file using Nano or whatever to permit root login.

And then I can use WINSCP but change the user to root?

Same password or audiolinux0 ?

Cheers,

Alan

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Piero,

Just to clarify.

I need to edit the sshd_config file using Nano or whatever to permit root login.

And then I can use WINSCP but change the user to root?

Same password or audiolinux0 ?

Cheers,

Alan

the first time you use WINSCP it walks you through login. Is it possible you logged in the first time without using root login? I have had no issues editing configuration

files. I just did a search also for this file, I only see a compressed file by that name, possibly because I have no HD/SSD in an endpoint device?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

the first time you use WINSCP it walks you through login. Is it possible you logged in the first time without using root login? I have had no issues editing configuration

files. I just did a search also for this file, I only see a compressed file by that name, possibly because I have no HD/SSD in an endpoint device?

Hi @davide256,

Not sure I follow this. I logged in using username=audiolinux and password=audiolinux

But when I tried to edit, delete or create files in etc or var folders and sub-folders I get permission denied errors.

I got the same on the server with the mounted SSD when I tried to move music using WINSCP but got past this using chmod command to change the permissions on that directory.

Cheers,

Alan

Audiolinux lxqt release notes

Version 3.1.0

1) Kernel updated to linux-rt-bfq-4.19.10.8-2

2) Full system update

3) Headless style Menu updated to version 083.

4) Added system time update at boot

5) Changed default font to ttf-droid for Chinese fonts display

6) Switched to systemd network as in headless version

7) Changed UUID of ext4 and vfat UEFI partitions. This way you can boot with USB stick also if you have audiolinux installed on internal drive

--> If you like, you can use the same headless menu typing menu on a terminal or clicking on the shortcut

Audiolinux headless release notes

Version 0.8

2) Full system update

3) Menu updated to version 084 with hard disk mount option and file-system resize in ram mode (experimental)

You can update... almost everything from previous versions installing the new Audiolinux menu 084 and updating the system and kernel

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

6 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux lxqt release notes

Version 3.1.0

2) Full system update

3) Headless style Menu updated to version 083.

5) Changed default font to ttf-droid for Chinese fonts display

6) Switched to systemd network as in headless version

7) Changed UUID of ext4 and vfat UEFI partitions. This way you can boot with USB stick also if you have audiolinux installed on internal drive

--> If you like, you can use the same headless menu typing menu on a terminal or clicking on the shortcut

Audiolinux headless release notes

Version 0.8

2) Full system update

3) Menu updated to version 084 with hard disk mount option and file-system resize in ram mode (experimental)

You can update... almost everything from previous versions installing the new Audiolinux menu 084 and updating the system and kernel

Hi Piero,

You're clearly on a roll and great stuff.

Can you please elaborate on:

2) Full system upgrade

Does this include any potential SQ improvements?

The reason I ask is that the new functionality is great but there's going to be a balance between sticking with a build that's working well versus updating and needing to reconfigure stuff. A risk / reward ratio sort of thing.

Many Thanks,

Alan

If your system is working fine, you can decide to not upgrade, to avoid problems.

Full system upgrade can be made from inside with the option "Update all other packages" This will update all packages to last versions, but the general audio configuration of audiolinux will not change.

A user should decide between 2 options:

1) Never update and eventually reinstall everything after one year or more

2) Update frequently, at least once for month.

Updating only menu instead is not a risk

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Thanks Piero,

For the record I WANT to update to 0.8 and future releases. But my install (install not update) to 0.7 caused all sorts of stability issues and stress.

As a newbie to AL I guess I need to find a best practice of making regular clones of the USB drive when its working well (and especially before making changes) so there's a good safety net if I mess anything up.

At the risk of tempting fate I followed @Bricki advice this morning and deleted the Roon unique ID and that seems have resolved my stability issues as ten hours later it hasn't dropped.

Cheers,

Alan

24 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Full system upgrade can be made from inside with the option "Update all other packages" This will update all packages to last versions, but the general audio configuration of audiolinux will not change.

I got the impression people were having problems after updating the kernel.

I have done option 3 Update all other packages but not option 2 Update kernel.  I have yet to reboot so I hope things are going to be OK. 

I was running headless 0.5.  I did the commands to update the menu structure.  Then I did option 3.

I'm confused ... does Update all other packages do everything except update the kernel?  You said in your post above that Update all other packages does a 'full system upgrade'.

Also, after either option 2 or 3 should we do a Clean system?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Hi Rick,

Just for clarity I didn't update, I was messing around and did it new install, ie flashed latest 0.7 image to the USB using Rufus.

Not sure at this stage if it was bad luck or something in latest build that caused my issues but went from being solid to very flakey.

Working like a dream now tho.

Cheers,

Alan

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Don't wake up!

Is that a menu option? 

18 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

As a newbie to AL I guess I need to find a best practice of making regular clones of the USB drive when its working well (and especially before making changes) so there's a good safety net if I mess anything up.

I made a copy of my USB stick on a hard drive of my Windows 10 machine by using ImageUSB.  It has an option that says 'Create image from USB drive'.  It actually creates a .bin file that is the size of your USB flash drive.  You can then use ImageUSB to create a new USB flash drive ... that's how it's supposed to work, I haven't tested my backup procedure yet!

What I'd like to know is whether there is a way to create an .img file from the USB flash drive similar to the .img file we downloaded from Piero's site.