IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Yet it can still sound like crap unless a lot more attention to detail and expense is involved to get the best sound from it.

Thousands of C.A. members have already discovered that for themselves.

There is a whole "Cottage Industry" set up to improve the performance of USB.

Some of the solutions include USB cables with better isolation between D- and D+ and  VBus and  0volts, internal USB cards with improved power, Iso Rgens, USB Regens, USB to SPDIF converters etc. etc.

Still, quite a few from the Objective side refuse to accept that this just MAY result in markedly improved sound on old purely theoretical grounds. Neither are they willing to try some of these solutions for themselves , and will insist that these members are gullible fools who deserve to be parted from their hard earned money. 

That is a whole different topic........

I didn't say that USB is not subject to errors. I said that "A proper USB setup should not see errors as a matter of course."

I have used a variety of computers, including laptop, desktop, and server systems I have used "special" and typical USB cables shorter than 3 meters. I have not used an optimized system but always a quality system. I have used special purpose systems as endpoints. This would include the microRendu, the ultraRendu, and various SoTM endpoints.

You don't have to do any "special" to get reliable data transfer over USB. You just don't want to do anything unusual like use 6 meter USB cables or crappy endpoints.

You mean why did I switch from direct connect USB (computer to DAC) to a server/endpoint setup using USB at the DAC?

There were several reasons. One was that I wanted to stop using my office computer or my laptop to play music. I wanted a dedicated server for Roon so whatever I was doing on my computers did not affect music playback. Another was that I wanted the best sound quality possible and I knew that my noisy desktop and laptop systems talking to the DAC directly over USB was about the worst way to go in that regard. Some kind of special purpose endpoint was the way to go there. Finally, I wanted multiple "zones" to play music with all of them accessing the same music. The best way to do that was to have a Roon Core server with multiple "endpoints".  

14 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Another reason not to re-transmit bad packets is to play real time.

Let's assume that "real time" is an issue here (which it is not). If data arriving incorrectly was a common problem, you would hear it. You would for sure use a system that guaranteed data delivery.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

Electrical noise on USB signals causes CRC errors and thus data loss...

The text above is incorrect. There is always some electrical noise on the USB bus. If that text were accurate, you would get nothing but CRC errors and USB audio would never work. No, the text should read:

Electrical noise on USB signals can cause CRC errors which would result in data loss.

You can’t take what is written as an absolute at face value. You need to look logically at what was written to come to the right conclusions about what was intended to be conveyed. 

Even the noisiest USB bus computers aren’t generating many CRC errors. If they were all transfers would be dramatically slowed down. 

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

When will you guys get it that the USA is only a part of America, NOT America ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

They quite possibly are judging by your choice of leaders ! :D

When will you get it that "Americans" refers to people of the United Stats of America?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans

I am content with our leader. He is certainly better than what the Canadians, French, or Brits have.