IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

A home audio system, just cannot realistically bring the Boston Symphony into your living room, and I seriously doubt if it ever will. We have to be content that we are listening to such an ensemble through a large, open, picture window. I.E. it can sound good, but it never quite crosses that threshold from sounding like a good recording to sounding like either there's a symphony orchestra in your listening room, or that you have been transported to some concert hall where the performance is taking place. 

The large, open picture window is the 'right' analogy. When working at optimum what you get is that the room that you're in is decapitated along a vertical plane in line with the speakers; that area of the room beyond the speakers is completely removed, and the area of the room you're physically in is now attached to the performance space of the illusion.

Yesterday I slightly improved my current NAD setup, and the first disk I tried, to assess the result, was this, https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-winter-trombone-mw0001804815. Yes! Very deep acoustic, tons of space; the instruments were way beyond the french windows; the speakers were almost invisible - still far from being as good as I've heard from audio replay, but definitely acceptable. The impression from another room is that you are listening through a side door of a concert hall, as to what's going on inside - the sense of bigness, and space, comes through loud and clear.

Just to again mention, for those are certain that read errors are a core problem for "digital sound", that my old NAD CDP is if anything getting worse at picking up signal from burnt CDRs - I have a stack of old ones of these, and the sound is a disaster, for those who are adverse to LPs with severely damaged grooves - 'cause that's what it sounds like! At times, it skips grooves backwards, several times - until finally clearing the barrier :). Yet in spite of the madness of the spluttering sound, what comes through still has all the qualities of good presentation; the acoustic and fine details are still there; which are only lost in the severest points of the playback struggling.

23 hours ago, Allan F said:

Agreed. Who has the room to bring the Boston Symphony into their living room? :)

Oh, I don't know. It would be a tight fit, certainly, but I suspect it could be done (The "Stateroom Scene" from A Night At The Opera with the Marx Brothers comes to mind here!).😉

George

• 2 weeks later...

George just had a gentle dig at me for using Sharp speakers :), but it allows me to again mention that when one achieves convincing sound from a setup, and investigates - that it turns everything on its head. Speakers become the least important part of the rig, and everything before them becomes super critical - why speakers seem so dominant on a system that's only presenting conventional quality playback is because they are a tremendous filtering mechanism on the audible anomalies of the replay chain; every dip or bump in the response, say, reinforces or subtracts from the spectrum of those artifacts - "changing the sound". What you are listening to is the dance of the distortion, and that from the electronics is the most powerful in determining the subjective qualities of the musical event captured.

A competent setup allows one to completely hear "through the speakers" - you connect completely to the performance that was in front of the microphones, say; your mind is discarding all aspects of the sound image that are caused by just having two boxes doing their thing in the room. And the drivers and speaker cabinet are largely irrelevant to this behaviour, unless one listens to more extreme volume levels, or is highly focused on deep bass being 'correct'.

The only advantage I've heard to date of having premium speakers is that in the case of an ultra simple, ultra pure recording of a solo instrument - classical guitar is a good example - that the tonality of a single note being struck has distinctly better quality. If one listens exclusively to these sort of recordings, then my thoughts on the relative importance of speakers are not so useful.

But I enjoy the texture of complex music making. If the rig can't do a big orchestral climax without falling into a heap, or makes a mess of sophisticated synthesizer sound elements interplaying, then it's not worth it. To me.

I've listened to too many expensive speakers sounding awful. Wilsons in particular come to mind here. The general rule is, the more ambitious the speaker, the more likely you can put on a recording which sounds abysmal - not my cup of tea.

30 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

So Sharp boombox speakers sound better than Wilsons. Why are I even reading this thread?

If you're not willing to consider that the parts of the chain prior to the speakers are absolutely critical to best sound, then there is no point. Brilliant source recording + mediocre DAC + mediocre amp + brilliant speakers = mediocre subjective presentation - the weakest link determines vital parts of the SQ, not the 'best' link.

Fair enough, Paul :) ... but I got to this point of thinking over quite a number of years, decades. What gave the game away was that the original rig came good with speakers that were relatively low cost compared to the CDP and amp - and I then went and listened to supposedly good demo systems, with very expensive speakers - and they weren't doin' it ... . My experiments following all confirmed the 'theory' that the electronics were critical, and I haven't heard anything yet to sway me.

Yes, the speakers reveal the flaws further up the chain - and when you sort all of those out, all you hear is the soundspace of the recording - the signature of the speaker 'disappears'. To make the point forcefully: you could have a box speaker, omnis, and panel speakers behind a curtain - 3 entirely different approaches, and on a competent system most would be struggling to pick one from the other.

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

But all in all, I would suggest speakers are much more important - at least to the listener -  than any other component of an audio system.

Paul

Yes, but many members also manage to obtain quite decent sound from their office/ PC secondary system.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Paul

Yes, but many members also manage to obtain quite decent sound from their office/ PC secondary system.

Alex

Which in no way refutes what Paul said.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

46 minutes ago, esldude said:

Results of Harman research doing exactly and precisely what you describe indicate you are very wrong.  Or maybe I should say completely wrong.  They haven't just theorized, they've done the experiment you described.  Didn't turn out at all the way you are saying.  Groups from audiophiles, students, people from multiple cultures, recording pros, highly trained listeners, all of them, every group could hear and differentiate between omni's, panels and good box speakers.  The results all lined up the same way with the same speakers coming out on top in all those groups.  

Speakers are quite simply the most important part of the playback chain.  It is a stunning bit of self deception to think otherwise.  A stupefying level of delusion.  

It's also a stupefying delusion to think that the source electronics don't matter,

It doesn't matter how good the speakers are if the front end Is  a cheap laptop or a bog standard Mac Mini using basic USB !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Results of Harman research doing exactly and precisely what you describe indicate you are very wrong.  Or maybe I should say completely wrong.  They haven't just theorized, they've done the experiment you described.  Didn't turn out at all the way you are saying.  Groups from audiophiles, students, people from multiple cultures, recording pros, highly trained listeners, all of them, every group could hear and differentiate between omni's, panels and good box speakers.  The results all lined up the same way with the same speakers coming out on top in all those groups.  

Speakers are quite simply the most important part of the playback chain.  It is a stunning bit of self deception to think otherwise.  A stupefying level of delusion.  

That type of research has never used playback of the standard that's required - if the playback chain is not capable of being transparent to the recording, then all bets are off. Rigs below the necessary standard will always "sound like their speakers", because your subjective attention is to the sounds that they are making, rather than the presentation that they are throwing up - this might seem like a moot point, but for those who explore audio reproduction working to this level, it's everything.

Just think of the best audio reproduction you have ever heard, throughout your years of this interest in audio; even if the experience lasted only for a very short time. Ignore what you thought were the reasons for that quality - and consider that that is the standard that should always be in place.

15 minutes ago, semente said:

I can do that too:

Brilliant source recording + brilliant DAC + brilliant amp + mediocre speakers = mediocre subjective presentation - the weakest link determines vital parts of the SQ, not the 'best' link.

If that is truly the case, then you would be right, yes. Would you believe I had trouble finding a "bad enough" speaker, at one point in my experimenting, to get the audible misbehaviour of the driver to be so obvious that it damaged the illusion?

Yes, cheap speakers quite often have silly, cost cutting weaknesses: rubbishy push on connectors, poor connections to the terminal posts, inadequate capacitors in the crossovers, poor organising of internal wiring. These are relatively easy to sort - which I do - and then I make sure that they are stable on their mounting surface; this is sufficient to get quality which exposes all the weaknesses in the driving chain.

If all the electronic components are "brilliant" in themselves, this may not ensure that the overall electronic chain is "brilliant" - the weaknesses often lurk in the " + " areas, the connections between the items.

50 minutes ago, fas42 said:

That type of research has never used playback of the standard that's required - if the playback chain is not capable of being transparent to the recording, then all bets are off. Rigs below the necessary standard will always "sound like their speakers", because your subjective attention is to the sounds that they are making, rather than the presentation that they are throwing up - this might seem like a moot point, but for those who explore audio reproduction working to this level, it's everything.

Just think of the best audio reproduction you have ever heard, throughout your years of this interest in audio; even if the experience lasted only for a very short time. Ignore what you thought were the reasons for that quality - and consider that that is the standard that should always be in place.

I have and find your argument completely unconvincing.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

I have and find your argument completely unconvincing.

That exemplary playback was giving you a whiff of what the raw sound of the recording was - minus the signature of the playback chain. IOW, conventional playback is layering too much distortion over the sound for your listening brain to be able to discard its influence - the absence of that, yes, veiling accompaniment is a revelation, and allows all the qualities I mention to be part of the experience.

If rigs were transparent to the source, they would all sound identical. Instead, they stink of highly distinctive 'character' - a polite term for the distorting makeup they nearly always apply. So, the choice is, do you want to use recordings to show off your likeable system; or for the system to 'invisibly' present what was captured in the recording session?

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I've heard the "source first" vs. "speakers first" arguments. IME, neither results in best bang for buck. I believe in a  balanced system, with source, amplification and speakers that are somewhat matched in cost and performance. Equally important is that they complement each other sonically, which can only be determined through listening.

Neither Sharp boombox speakers nor Wilsons belong in a system with NAD components.

IME best bang for the buck comes from dealing with areas most people don't regard as so important. I have about 8 sets of speakers here, most of which are much more "audiophile" than the Sharp units. But I'm not using them because they are too bulky, heavy for how I've got the rig - which is effectively on a workbench. Think of those cheap speakers being used in the same way as small studio monitors, "to hear what is going on" - I will add, I did a round of listening to the available active monitors, in the pro shops, some years ago - and was surprised to hear how bad they were, especially the big name brands - the Sharp boxes are vastly superior to listen to, because the driving chain is being sorted out, than any of the 'right' names.

Voicing is another expression for choosing your poison - one is fine tuning the audible distortion so that it is 'nicest' for yourself. I'm not interested in that, I want to hear what's on the recording - and the rig is actually in the way of me getting that - it has to completely disappear in the auditory sense; I have no interest in it apart from being a means to an end.

It turns out that it's much harder to get the electronics to 'vanish'; speakers are relatively easy, so I'm not so fussed about them.