IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The more I think about this the more I believe the biggest thing MQA is afraid of is the general public learning about the DRM aspects of MQA. If the general public hear’s DRM again wrt audio they will revolt and give the labels a flashback to the Napster days. When the mainstream press writes about DRM getting back into audio, I’m willing to bet the labels will flinch. 

In addition, which streaming service wants to be associated with DRM? 

Perhaps it’s time to take the gloves off, get real and write some brutally honest articles and contact my friends at the NY Times (who’ve interviewed me in the past). People are always looking for a good story. 

Anyone else interested in getting the word out?

A handful of us have been saying this from the beginning, that MQA begins and ends with DRM.

Robert Harley said this way back, and so did JA, though they speak out of both sides of their mouth because at the end of the day they support the DRM of audio because they are anti-consumer in ways they don't even understand.  

I am all for taking the gloves off, but between you, me, and the lightpost - I am not convinced you have it in you Chris.  You have been "in the middle" and seeking understanding, and dialogue when those things have been besides the point and almost the entire industry (certainly the marketing/publication review part of it) has been signaling to you, very loudly and in a myriad of different ways, that they are not interested understanding - only selling MQA.

That said I look forward to a front page "brutally honest" campaign against MQA, but even more importantly what lies behind MQA - an "industry" and "hobby" that is so full of voodoo they don't even know what is real and what is not, including (especially) audiophiles themselves!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Does anyone remember the (original) Microsoft Network (MSN)?

This was strategy that just about everyone tried for a short time (AOL, etc.).  There is no understanding of the facts or implications in Adiophiledom around format lock-in for whatever reason, but there is in the wider consumer electronic space however...

1 hour ago, Shadorne said:

+1 I don’t understand how JA’s comment could be misconstrued as an attack on Chris and in favour of MQA. As usual JA was thoughtful and correct to point out that the attack on the kindly event organizer (no doubt a volunteer) was way out of line. I think JA was correct that if Chris had wanted to, he could have shut down the disruptions - contrary to JA I believe that Chris’ tactic (whether mindful or not) worked beautifully in exposing MQA insiders for everyone to see; what kind of people they are and how substantive technically MQA product/service is.

I missed this, where was she "attacked" or otherwise disrespected?

9 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I don't think she was attacked, but even naming her muddies the waters.  The people responsible for the behavior of the MQA advocates are themselves.  

If the tables were turned, would you want the conference organizers cutting off the microphones of MQA critics, Richard J Daily style (Chicago, 1968)?

Like any organizer, dept. head, CEO, politician she has to take responsibility for the actions of others under her watch.  It's part of the job.  She could decide that presentations at her show are not presentations at all, but are instead open forums where confrontational, "democratic", adversarial tactics rule.  I doubt that is what anybody wants inside or outside the industry.  She can of course ignore Chris's poor treatment, and that is no doubt how this particular case will be handled unfortunately.

I actually would accept the consequences of my disruptive/disingenuous strategery "if the table were turned".

Chris was treated differently, and this is obvious to everyone.  The industry insiders such as John Atkinson don't mind because their viewpoint and purpose carried the day, or so they believe.  

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

But they are not under her watch.  They are not employees of hers. They are conference participants.  

If it was a question of bedbugs infesting the conference room, you would be correct.

On a more practical matter, how in the world would she be expected to police every presentation?

"police" is not the right word.  She IS the organizer, she sets the tone.  She could "police" this particular instance by saying:

"As show organizer the treatment of Chris is not acceptable.  While RMAF does not take a particular position on MQA, we do offer a setting and forum where all sides are presented, and where everyone is treated with respect.  Disruptive behavior for any reason by anyone is not what we are about here at RMAF.  I wish to apologize to Chris.  In the future, we will ask all participants, presenters, and audience members to conduct themselves in a respectful manner..." etc. etc.

She of course can not force anyone to do anything really, but she sets the tone...

6 minutes ago, Kyhl said:

That is too personal.  A simplified version without pointing fingers at a particular event while still letting the bullies know they are on notice.  They know what they did because it was planned to bring a show to the presentation.  They accomplished their goal.

Everyone should separate the product from the personalities.  I think that @John_Atkinson should use his position to condemn this behavior instead of blaming someone for lacking skills in presenting.  That was a bit cowardly.

It's just an example and no doubt could use a bit of tweaking.  Still, I noticed that you want JA to say something 'personal'.  I don't disagree, and I believe she should as well otherwise her/RMAF's reaction comes across as a bit spineless...

12 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Does she even know what happened?  I assume she couldn't be present at all venues simultaneously.

Also, even though I agree the hecklers were rude and shot themselves in the foot (an ideal outcome, if you think about it), did it really cross a line where an apology from anyone is required?  It isn't so clear from one youtube video where the sound quality is quite poor.

No one (certainly not me) is blaming her for not being omnipotent.  She should be made aware of what happened (if she is not already), and then she should take responsibility to the very extant (nor more, no less) that her role affords.

Otherwise, consumers have to ask such questions as:  Are the sacred cows of this hobby/industry (such as MQA) given special place at RMAF?  Do the normal expectations of presenters, participants, and RMAF show goers become "optional" when MQA (or any other industry darling) executives are in the room?

I agree with @John_Atkinsonthat Chris could have done more, but we also know that trumping his own ability to "control a room" unrealistically.  It would take just a handful of us to show up at his presentation and disrupt it quite easily and there would be nothing he could do about it.  Does not matter if this was to our benefit or his, it could be done.  Is RMAF a venue where this is acceptable?

3 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

My wife was Audio magazine's top salesperson when we first met and strongly believed in the idea of the Chinese Wall. We never discussed specific advertising or editorial matters all the time until she retired in anything other than the past tense. For example, "Your Velodyne review just lost the magazine $50,000 worth of advertising"  -

see https://www.stereophile.com/content/velodyne-df-661-loudspeaker

- to which I responded "Cheap at twice the price!"

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I hear ya.  My wife is a physician and she never discusses her patients with me (HIPAA and all that), no matter what kind of day she has had.  Instead she just keeps it all bottled up inside like a normal person...

1 minute ago, John_Atkinson said:

The INS thought so when I came to the US. Perhaps you'd better write them to let them know about the error. :-)

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Nah, they are bureaucrats and the distinction would be lost on them...though to be honest, their world makes more sense than Audiophiledom ;) 

15 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

My fundamental instruction to would-be writers: don't write what you don't know.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Please post that in your office in 18-inch type. We can call it "the writing on the wall."

Wow, as the kids say OMG!

Truly, your technical incompetence and and unwarranted enthusiasm for MQA reveals that you are a "do as I say and not as I do kind of guy"...

23 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

The article is actually View From 30,000 Feet. Here’s a quote from that article where Mr. Harley admits MQA is about DRM. 

It must be noted here that MQA has no form of copy protection or digital-rights management (DRM) whatsoever. Contrary to what some Internet posters think, MQA is not an evil scheme to institute DRM.”

Thanks for the correction of the article title.  The sentence you quote is one of his efforts to deny MQA is DRM.  This contradicts his longer argument (over several paragraphs) that the reason for MQA is that labels need DRM  - a way to protect the "crown jewels" from the consumer.

So his argument is a contradiction...except that it is not, MQA begins and ends with DRM just as he says, he is just part of Audiophiledom where the bald contradiction is par for the course...

9 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

You and I have done this two or three times in the past. Maybe even four times. You make up something that you claim he said in that article and I come back with a quote or two of what he ACTUALLY said. After that we go our separate ways. With that in mind, see you when it comes up again. 

I don't recall these past occurances.  I do have to wonder about your comprehension of both what Rober Harley and I are saying.  Yes, he denies DRM.  His denial does not withstand scrutiny.  He does not understand what DRM is, or he is lying.  Either way he is playing the fool, or rather trying to play the consumer as the fool.

Here is a few sentences where he explains why the industry needs DRM and how MQA is that DRM:

"...That development was both a blessing and a curse. The blessing was that here was a cheap and easy way to deliver to consumers the best-available representation of a recording. The curse was that the record companies were delivering to consumers the best-available representation of a recording—a recording that could easily be copied, shared, and even pirated for profit. The record labels’ opening of their vaults by selling high-bit-rate downloads would be tantamount to throwing open the doors to an unguarded shopping mall. Once their catalogs were out in the world, the record companies would have nothing left to sell...In addition to delivering unprecedented sound quality, MQA offers record companies a compelling solution to delivering to consumers the best possible sound while still protecting their archives. When you play an MQA file through an MQA decoder, you hear the high-resolution studio master, yet you never actually possess the high-resolution studio master."

Bob Carver says this at the end of his essay on MQA:

"...MQA is a paradigm shift only in the sense that it allows Tidal to violate the listener’s privacy...."

What exactly is he referring in reference to end user privacy?

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

That is the part I feel to be the utmost ridiculous. "Nothing left to sell"... How about selling new recordings that nobody has heard yet before? I don't want to, and I'm not going to, buy same old stuff over and over again. Some recording companies have realized this, obviously some of the bigger labels have not. Now they seem to want to sell those old recordings literally one bit at a time.

The concern is not people like you and I who buy their 'jewels', but those who pirate it.  It's hard to overstate how pissed off the industry is at the post 90's decline in sales and how they blame almost all of it on "piracy".

If MQA begins and ends with DRM, then the anxiety inside the industry begins and ends with piracy (thus the need for DRM).

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

I would say the people who pirate music likely wouldn't buy the hires anyway. They wouldn't make a difference between RedBook which they already have. For traditional AAC/MP3/RedBook it is certainly much more problem. But once the pirates have the first AAC, MP3 or RedBook version, the hires doesn't give any additional advantage for them or loss for the record company.

I don't think HDtracks, highresaudio.com or nativedsd.com would be any better with heavily DRM'ed content. I would assume they would be worse. Hires is niche and that niche doesn't make much difference on the big record companies. I doubt it makes much sense to sell RedBook DRM-free and hires with DRM.

I know they dream about new music DRM, but it has been seen in the past already that it really doesn't work. That's why Apple/Amazon/etc don't DRM music anymore.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but yours is a calm and reasonable take.   It does not address the anxiety and desire for a DRM scheme that would work.  MQA's attraction is that it is DRM that would work as a "freemium" model that does not depend on copy protection.  The hope was that consumers would be "ok" with it.