IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

MQA is like a sandwich.  The baloney is somewhere in the middle.  MQA is the mystery meat of high res.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

56 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m out to provide information.

What's the format of your session?  Is it a presentation followed by Q&A, or a panel discussion or what?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

30 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just me and a microphone and a slide show. 

So how does Ken Forsythe participate?  Or did you just invite him to see the presentation?

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I asked exactly that question of Mike - does he and the labels view success of MQA as a future where MQA is the only high-res content purchasable? Because for many of us the fear is that our choice - of buying non-MQA hi-res PCM or DSD content - will be taken away.

He vehemently argued no. His argument was that they (MQA) do not have exclusive agreements with labels, nor would labels find that prudent business.

So then why are the labels doing MQA?  For those who think it sounds better?

I'm a lot more interested in your Day 3 report than in any further discussion about Chris's MQA session.  I think what needs to be said about it has now been said.  It is unfortunate but predictable that MQA supporters challenged the presentation in a manner that derailed it.  Chris wanted to be accommodating but it wasn't a mutual respect type of situation.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

there are a lot of customers out there who will not purchase a new DAC if it does not support MQA

Is there real evidence of this aside from anecdotal accounts?   I mean end user demand, not phone calls from distributors and dealers who have been lobbied by MQA business development people.

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

no there is not....

Well, let's give @barrows a chance to back up what he claims.

I'd love to hear what MQA pitches to the DAC manufacturers.  I bet it's a whopper of a story.

14 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Chris is a good guy.  Mike is a good guy.  Ken is a good guy.

And now we all join hands and sing Kumbaya?

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

He's only posting here to earn brownie points with his industry buddies.

And to generate interest in his next article.

9 minutes ago, senorx said:

The only question I have left is who goes under first, Tidal or MQA?

And yet more manufacturers sign up to implement MQA.  How does MQA convince these guys?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mqa-announces-new-products-and-partners

17 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I don't think so based on conversations with music execs.  They tell me they need to sell a better product to get more interest.  I think they see hirez as an important value but they have an issue with doing that at scale, in real time on a streaming service.

So how come Apple can do this

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-streaming-tv-service-to-be-free-for-device-users-report-2018-10-10

I will not pay a premium for Master Quality Adulterated files.  So how is everyone in the ecosystem going to make money?

Where did MQA and its shills enthusiasts get the idea that CA is responsible for prejudicing its readers against MQA?  It is not.

I read the material MQA released including Bob's Q&A and some of the magazine articles.  Then I read the analysis done by guys like @Miska , @mansr and Charles Hansen.  Then I used my own judgment.  Archimago's article subsequently confirmed some of my conclusions.

It's so easy to simply dismiss the CA community as a mob mentality.  

@Lee Scoggins your virtuous cycle will happen only if there is real end user demand for MQA at sufficient scale.  Where's the proof that such demand exists (or can be stimulated)?  Have DAC sales gone through the roof because of MQA implementation?  Has TIDAL had a surge in HiFi subscribers?  If Qobuz lures a bunch of TIDAL HiFi subscribers away in the USA, what would that indicate?

On 10/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, rickca said:

@Lee Scoggins your virtuous cycle will happen only if there is real end user demand for MQA at sufficient scale.  Where's the proof that such demand exists (or can be stimulated)?  Have DAC sales gone through the roof because of MQA implementation?  Has TIDAL had a surge in HiFi subscribers?  If Qobuz lures a bunch of TIDAL HiFi subscribers away in the USA, what would that indicate?

So @Lee Scoggins I think these are legitimate questions.  You never responded.

20 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

That's a very clever piece of misdirection by "Stuart and team."

Maybe MQA should hire the Russian Internet Research Agency.  I hear they are great at this kind of stuff.