IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:
2 hours ago, davide256 said:

mmm, time perhaps to start a different thread perhaps on coax?

OK, good idea. Give me an hour or so ...

ClocksEye^2 

:eek:

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 hours ago, yellowblue said:

Thank you, Peter, that you didn´t loose your patience after all my questions about the construction of the cables!

image.thumb.png.abf43d026a7b843ebcd613fc2550eed2.png

Yellowblue, you are most welcome. At least you experienced the "pleasure" of being the very first customer for a product that actually appeared to be prototyping to some degree, that putting your nerves to the test somewhat. :o All I can say and should say is : thank you for your help.

And thanks for the great photo.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 10/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, austinpop said:

Jeez! Et tu, Alex?

First @Ralf11 thinks my deck needs staining, now you’re crapping on my camera?

Witch hunt! ?

Which witch?  Maybe you used that camera to take the pic of your deck, and it made it look like it needs stain???

BTW, oil based stain if allowed in Ostentacious AQ laws & do not let them use any bleach to strip it; always neutralize -- don't ask me how I know this

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

The latter sounded better! So this is where things stand in my chain now. I remain flabbergasted that the Lush^2 made a bigger impact upstream as I've never experienced that with other cables. One can speculate about whether it is the combination of shields and ground, but whatever the reason, the conclusion is that a) the Lush^ improved my system SQ, and b) its ideal position in the chain was further upstream!

This says to me, that attenuation of noise and unwanted waveform qualities right at the output of the Zenith SE is critical, and that the tX-USBultra  unit is more sensitive to less than optimal waveforms, than your DAC is. You've identified the weaker points of the playback chain, so now know where to focus greater attention.

16 hours ago, austinpop said:

Well, my Lush^2 has been in my system 24/7 for 3 weeks now

Hi Rajiv - but you forgot to try the 10,000+ combinations !

haha

Thank you for the extensive outlay. I think it could be helpful to others.

Kind regards - Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

17 hours ago, austinpop said:
  • Zenith SE > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > JSSG 360 Lush > DAC

Wow, that made a big improvement! What? So I then compared between:

• Zenith SE > JSSG 360 Lush > tX-USBultra > Lush^2 > DAC
  • Zenith SE > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > JSSG 360 Lush > DAC

The latter sounded better! 

Thanks @austinpop Something has been bugging my about the presentation I had been getting since adding the Lush 2 between the tX-USBultra & PS Audio DAC

After reading the above this morning I moved my Lush 2 between the MKII and the tX-USBultra and have to agree with @austinpop  It is clearly/instantly better. 

I will do more detailed testing but I suspect I'll be staying with:

Zenith MKII > Lush 2 > tX-USBultra > Lush 1 > DAC

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

46 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Rajiv - but you forgot to try the 10,000+ combinations !

haha

Thank you for the extensive outlay. I think it could be helpful to others.

Kind regards - Peter

Hi Peter,

I am benefitting from your efforts! Maybe I will try some experiments when I dare to open Pandora's Box.

5 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Thanks @austinpop Something has been bugging my about the presentation I had been getting since adding the Lush 2 between the tX-USBultra & PS Audio DAC

After reading the above this morning I moved my Lush 2 between the MKII and the tX-USBultra and have to agree with @austinpop  It is clearly/instantly better. 

I will do more detailed testing but I suspect I'll be staying with:

Zenith MKII > Lush 2 > tX-USBultra > Lush 1 > DAC

Always good to hear that someone else with their own ears and a different system finds the same result. I need to sketch the shielding and grounding path of the cables in conjunction with my system to see if there are any clues.

4 hours ago, Soma said:

I thought may be I will ask @PeterSt if he can help me. He kindly accepted my request and sent me ET^2 cable (https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/ethist-2-ethernet-cable - I guess picture posted could be my cable :-) )

Haha, yes, that is yours all right.

Soma, I am so glad that it all works out for you. And thank you very much for the detailed description !

What is also nice is that there seems to be consensus about the cables now working for the way better right out of the box. I mean, this is now thus without burn-in at all, while we know for certain that burn-in will bring all to another level. Btw, of course we have no experience on the ET^2 yet. But point is : this is still "a" configuration (and because of the lack of experience with the ET^2, that is provided with the same configuration as the Lush^2's best as of now).

So I hope people keep on experimenting and share (also the configs for the worse !), because it really can't be so that we found the very best after 10 or so trials, while 10,000++ exist.

Thank you, Soma !

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peter I got my Lush^2 on Monday and after probably 50 or so configurations I finally found one that sounds exciting to my ear! Vocals on this one are unreal, soundstage is wide, and imaging is pin point.  Acoustics are more distinct and decay is faster on guitars and vocals.  

A: B-W &&Y B: B-W

The first & jumper is horizontal and the second & jumper vertical.

Curious to know if others hear the same?

1 hour ago, kurb1980 said:

Curious to know if others hear the same?

Hey Kurb, it is great that you explored outside the default the cable is shipped with. Really appreciated !!

1 hour ago, kurb1980 said:

A: B-W &&Y B: B-W

Can you please tell us wat you really did there, because what you wrote can exist but should not make sense. So ... if you wanted to say this :

A: B-W&Y B: B-W

then technically this is possible but the Y would be on pin 5 or 6 on its own and will not be connected to anything for real (apart from the connector with the red dot). However, it you intended to write this :

A: B-W-Y B: B-W

Then Black, White and Yellow are connected together (like on pin 1, 2 and 3) and it surely does make sense.

But in order to try (which I most certainly will) I need to know what you did for real. If you can explain it by means of the pins (red dot is pin 1) then this is fine and I will write the proper notation for it for you. Please explain for both the A and the B connectors.

Thanks !

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 minutes ago, bluebeat said:

Could you add a picture?

@kurb1980, bluebeat actually has the same problem. ;) Indeed a picture is also fine, but could be more tedious than making the description.

XXHighEnd (developer)

I see what I did basically I messed up so essentially the configuration was...

A: B-W B: B-W

At first I liked this one vocals seemed more present but when switching to DSD I found all the air was zapped out of the recording no more atmosphere. 

but I’m intrigued about...

This one is similar to one above but works not as dry.  This one is vocal king no edginess smooth presentation and decay is very quick.  Acoustics picking is very distinct.

Sorry for my misunderstanding I need to start taking notes on what configuration plus findings so I don’t get lost in the 10k permutations.

music used

Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser  MFSL DSD “Songs Of Our Stars” for imaging

Beck - Sea Change MFSL “Already Dead” acoustics and vocals 

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet W.German target “Wanted Dead Or Alice” acoustics and vocals 

Michael Jackson - Bad “Speed Racer” for imaging 

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me for vocals and drums 

3 hours ago, kurb1980 said:

essentially the configuration was...

Thank you Kurb.

3 hours ago, kurb1980 said:

but I’m intrigued about...

My own description of this one was this :

Marvelous sound which keeps on being strange. Listened to it for well over a week, to after that decide it is time for something which doesn't carry doubts.

and I recall that others just similarly. I revisited that one the other day, but it didn't last long.

Indeed it would be "vocal king" as you say, which will be about the mere emphasis to the higher mid. But it also is strange and (I think) it will depend on the material played how odd it comes forward.

Literally I denote the emphasis to the "lower highs" which would be a strange description (at least I never used it before in my life). I suppose it tells something about too much highs in a strange area.

Anyway in aftermath I can tell that this config should not be used when the cable has hardly been broken in. Those "lower highs" could be killing. Not sure because I can't (OK won't) do that again, with breaking in and such.

PS: Your "intrigued" was literally the same for me. You can see it on my own notes; why use it for a week when you know right from the start it is "strange". At least it wouldn't be me, normally.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 1 month later...

Okay I think I throughly burned in so I stayed to play around...

A: B-Y & WR B: BY & WR 

On first listen this sounded pretty darn good nice amount of air, soundstage, strings more pronounced, and vocals sounded lively.  I did prefer this over A: B-W-Y-R B: B-W-R I found the bass on this one to be a touch too bloated.  

A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y

I did find this to trump the previous two I found it detailed, bass not bloated, wide soundstage, vocals seem balanced.  Best thus thus far.

Then I wanted something that can make drums sound amazing and after 5 different arrangements I found it!

A: B-W-R B: B-W

Drums sound fantastic detailed you can hear every hit of the snare and it has a nice deep extended bass that’s not bloated.  Vocals sound good as well.  I need to listen to more genres but for sure it works with rock music or anything with heavy percussion.  

2 hours ago, kurb1980 said:

A: B-W-R B: B-W

Drums sound fantastic detailed you can hear every hit of the snare and it has a nice deep extended bass that’s not bloated.  Vocals sound good as well.  I need to listen to more genres but for sure it works with rock music or anything with heavy percussion.

Ha, a truly new one !

I just put it in my notes for this evening's session. I am already eager ... (new toy in the mail :D).

On a (very) side note, the somewhat more bloated bass with the other "best" setting, A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R, that bass I could get rid of only a week ago. But this is by other means (some software setting in XXHighEnd).

But might someone may want to be heading to the one and all solution, he may consider that this software setting deliberately adds HF noise to spread the remaining lower frequency noise better (think about this). Now what if we could determiner that this particular Lush^2 setting *or* allows for this more HF noise (somewhere) just the same, *or* that it diminishes remaining LF noise better. So what I should do at judging "mwah" on your finding, is go back to that other software setting and see if now the somewhat more bloated bass has gone. But I already feel it won't be a "mwah" so much and merely a revelation.

Thanks !!

XXHighEnd (developer)

I gonna keep messing with this I find the bass on the new one to be a little much as well.   The new setting really focused on the rhythm section bass and drums are more forward some might like that which it is exciting but just feels like EQ to me. Ultimately I trying to find one that’s hitting on all my tastes.  Clarity, timbre, air, tight bass, highs but not overly etched, and wide soundstage.

I found one that really like!

A: B-W-Y B: BW

It’s hitting on all my check boxes Tight bass, air, timbre, and soundstage.  The drums sound nice the cymbals are distinct.  Vocals don’t sound overly etched.  It’s still early but I think this ones a keeper! 

On 1/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, PeterSt said:

Ha, a truly new one !

I just put it in my notes for this evening's session. I am already eager ... (new toy in the mail :D).

On a (very) side note, the somewhat more bloated bass with the other "best" setting, A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R, that bass I could get rid of only a week ago. But this is by other means (some software setting in XXHighEnd).

But might someone may want to be heading to the one and all solution, he may consider that this software setting deliberately adds HF noise to spread the remaining lower frequency noise better (think about this). Now what if we could determiner that this particular Lush^2 setting *or* allows for this more HF noise (somewhere) just the same, *or* that it diminishes remaining LF noise better. So what I should do at judging "mwah" on your finding, is go back to that other software setting and see if now the somewhat more bloated bass has gone. But I already feel it won't be a "mwah" so much and merely a revelation.

Thanks !!

Hi @PeterSt

Did you get a chance to try kurb1980's new configurations he likes? I intend to but I'm trialing some tweaks I've already done and don't want to try anything else as yet.

Thanks

2 hours ago, tims said:

Did you get a chance to try kurb1980's new configurations he likes? I intend to but I'm trialing some tweaks I've already done and don't want to try anything else as yet.

Yea, lol. I am continuously in this same boat. Anyway I am eager enough to do it and at least I did not forget about it (think "not yet" at the start of each day's session). But also, since last night I think I am done with what I had to test (for the past days) so you can count on that I will start using that configuration tonight.

Btw, others are free to try kurb1980's configuration(s) just the same. :P

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

All right.

@kurb1980, I think you really have found something there.

This config bears all kinds of oddities, and this begins with me not being able to detect a real difference on the first day I tried (day before yesterday). Maybe I was too focused, maybe I played the wrong music, maybe I had in mind that it was too soon after all (after an other change in the chain).

Then came yesterday ...

From of the very first notes I was a kind of shocked. There now was detail in a frequency range which brought forward sounds and voices and what not in really everything, I never heard before. But besides that, this bears characteristics which are quite uncommon - especially because they all emerged together (like changing the complete audio system). Here:

- Super wide sound stage.

- For a first time ever I could detect a most clear adding up of volume when walking through the middle (say sweet spot) from left to right and back. Something like "hey, in the sweet spot this is 6dB louder".

- Depth is very shallow. All plays at the level of the speakers themselves.

Especially this latter one intrigues me largely, already because I never experienced that. But further more and more importantly: in a fashion which did not disturb me, no matter how hard I tried to find it wrong. The most strange thing is that while the depth of stage is as flat as maybe a few feet, the speakers are totally undetectable. What adds to this is the wide sound stage (well beyond the speakers, never mind all those who claim this can't exist). So it is the whole presentation which is new to me.

A first thing I noticed was a perceived buzzing of the bass, as if it carries too much energy and implying frequency which is too high for what's in the material. But in each track where this seemed to occur, it was a different presentation of the bass itself, and that too I never heard anywhere. Something like: at listening closer, you could hear frequency *under* the frequency you actually hear (as thus a kind of buzz) and that all together creating a sound of bass which is, well, new. Here, the angle of listening (towards the speakers) is again important (see the 6dB story). I am not used to that at all.

The way I think about these matters is that the relatively flat layer of depth now contains all the music, while otherwise it is spread over the many feet towards you and nothing doing so much individually. Now, all being stored in a compact container, it seems to fight for freedom and pushes against each other. Think buzz and you get the idea (hopefully).

I wrote the above like telling about a gadget. But it is G-D the best I ever ever heard. Can music sound even more real than this ?

---

I would like it very much if others could confirm or debunk any or all of this. It again seems hard to imagine that people come to a same perception as just was written out, but so far there's consensus about what we perceive from the cable settings". But merely: do yourself a favor and have a brand new system once again.

Warning: It seems impossible that after the first day I was ready to write "nothing wrong with this and maybe it takes more listening to find out what's different for the better or the worse" while the second day I was open mouthed for two hours, right from the first second of listening. In other words: it can well be that this config requires a bit of breaking in (just have it connected to powered PC and DAC for 24 hours - all idling).

kurb1980, thank you ...

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)