IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

15 minutes ago, marce said:

I don't want to be an audiophile anymore, I just want to be a snob and sneer at those with lesser systems.

I find it all depressing, so depressing that I am serious I don't want to be an audiophile, I want to listen to music and a system is just a tool to achieve that, it seems being an audiophile is more about the system than the music.

I hate to repeat myself, but:

On 5/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, mansr said:

quote-audiophiles-don-t-use-their-equipm

7 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

I hate to trash stuff, but if one is going to go entry level, emotiva is not the way to start off. Rotel/NAD and entry level B&W loudspeakers is where I'd start and actually did. The cost/quality ratio is really favorable with these brands. I am generally wary of products manufactured in China, with the exception of only a very few Chinese high end brands.

B&W, with the exception of the 800 series, is manufactured in China. They probably keep a close watch over the production facilities, though. The troublesome Chinese stuff usually comes from unsupervised contract manufacturers that no reputable company would use.

39 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The real separation tho between audiophiles as I see it comes down to how one assesses "fidelity" playback which in turn comes down to the great divide; trust your ears vs trust your measurements. IMO each has their place.

The former are, to a large extent, actually trusting their eyes, eyes fixated on the price tag.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Audiophiles gonna talk about equipment.  :)  I went through a period of 20 years without upgrading anything and was very happy.  The only reason I changed was when I heard modern DACs fed by files through player software, and thought these sounded better than what I’d had.  And the only reason I listened to the new stuff was because my disc player gave out.

Buying new equipment to keep up with shifts in technology isn't what I'm talking about, nor is replacing faulty items.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

But even though I seldom change equipment, I enjoy reading discussions about what might be new in the world.

Sure, nothing wrong with keeping oneself informed.

3 minutes ago, semente said:

There is a time in most audiophiles lives when we obcess with equipment and accessories, when we listen and nausea to the same audiophile-approved couple of tracks and live off magazine reviews.

It's a sad time but the spell can be broken and we will be able to enjoy music and life once more.

Are you describing a mid-life crisis?

23 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I am actually curious too. You know a lot about audio, clearly, but sometimes I wonder what motivates you.

I like music, and I understand the technology that delivers it. Combine the two.

7 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

But you can still find quality gear that is value for money right.you can choose to ignore products that you have deemed rip offs.

Sure, but a lot of equipment has inflated prices due to pointless expensive add-ons like casework in solid silver or whatnot. In some cases (pardon the pun), the case alone allegedly accounts for half the production cost, which translates to half the retail price.

1 minute ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

But you can still find quality gear that is value for money right.you can choose to ignore products that you have deemed rip offs.

Not if you're looking for something that could be considered high end (let's assume these components really do have spectacularly better sound than more modest ones).

37 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

ok lets play this game. Who cares if its high end. If it measures good it sounds good.Are you telling me only the ones with silver cases measure well?

I never said anything remotely like that. There are, however, many who insist that the expensive gear sounds significantly better than cheaper products. Let's assume, for sake of argument, that they are right. Some of the expensive stuff does use unusual circuitry too, so it's not entirely implausible that it at least sounds different. The problem I see is that you can't get the supposedly good electronics without paying through your nose for the bling casework etc.

13 hours ago, sandyk said:

Do you also have an interest in things like hi res video and perhaps hi res audio on Blu Ray ?

I prefer watching films/TV in hi-res, if that's what you mean. I've also done some work on codecs and other software. Here's something I built together with TI some years ago: