IGNORED

Headphones vs Speakers.....Go!

Use of headphones by Morten Lindberg. 

According to Lindberg, headphones give him exactly the kind of information he needs, which is what the microphone is picking up at its current position. “You can do pretty much anything and have full control on headphones,” he adds. “I emphasize this because traditional professors say ‘you can't record or mix on headphones.’ Yes, you can, but you need to relate it to a speaker environment. Build a sense of transfer of functionality, which makes you secure on headphones. You also must have a very good mastering studio so you can make the final production sound like it did while recording on headphones.”

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/protalkarticles-morten-lindberg

@Em2016 and @STC

Let's not conflate professionals composing, recording, mixing, and mastering with the consumers listening to music in their homes. Because they are not even close to being the same thing.

Also, unless you can show me that even 25 percent of the industry composes, records, mixes, and masters tracks and albums using headphones, all you are doing is saying that a few people use headphones for these activities. In other words, exceptions don't invalidate the rule. 

29 minutes ago, diecaster said:

@Em2016 and @STC

Let's not conflate professionals composing, recording, mixing, and mastering with the consumers listening to music in their homes. Because they are not even close to being the same thing.

Also, unless you can show me that even 25 percent of the industry composes, records, mixes, and masters tracks and albums using headphones, all you are doing is saying that a few people use headphones for these activities. In other words, exceptions don't invalidate the rule. 

Everything needs to be mixed on headphones these days... for Apple Earpods and Beats headphones because there are literally millions of them being used every day. Along with mixing on a variety of different speakers of course...

It would make more sense to try and demonstrate even 25 percent of music that is not mixed on headphones..

I've just covered the full spectrum.... 2L recordings with HD800 headphones and modern pop with Apple Earpods/Beats headphones...

But back to my earlier question, what does "Speakers beat headphones head to head" mean?

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

I have already stated my position in post  #122.  In today's world, headphones is just practical for personal space.  For recordings, they have their own reasons. End of the day, they all make music to sound good over speakers.

17 hours ago, Em2016 said:

What does 'head to head' mean?

Headphones can provide a transparency that speakers can't. Speakers can produce a 3D soundstage that headphones can't.

There are a lot of 2L recording fans here. Morten Lindberg does a lot of his (incredible) work (26 Grammy Award nominations) with headphones... He is just one example.

2L-110_Cantus_recording-sessions-2014-15.thumb.jpg.fefd31986c132bac4f28395209ea7e4d.jpg

1200px-Morten_Lindberg_2016-1.thumb.jpg.181fa5784cd2d533305d50cfbed04bd5.jpg

He's known for having wrapped the musicians around the microphones... How weird is that?

2L-session-magnificat-orchestra-circle-5

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

17 hours ago, diecaster said:

It depends on the question, doesn't it? Speakers beat headphones head to head. But I use headphone sometimes because I would rather listen to music through headphones than not at all.

Actually, I think it is a scale too. For example, $1000 spent on headphones will (or should) give you much better sound than $1000 spent on speakers. They will both be good, but the headphones should be distinctly better at almost everything. 

$1000 spend on headphones and $2500 spent on speakers will probably go the other way., The speakers (assuming the electronics are equal, and the speakers were chosen for the listener's taste, etc.) will probably sound better.  $2500 spend on near field speakers will probably sound astonishingly better. 

There is a point where the very rough cost vs. quality line will cross, and the generality can easily fail in specifics - there are some things speakers do much better than any headphone, and vice versa. Where exactly that line lies is an interesting question.

My *guess* is that speakers in the $30K - $40K range are going to sound as good as or better than even the best headphones, which in general top out at under $10-$12K. IMNSHO of course, YMMV.  

Much above that range, speakers cease to become instruments of music reproduction, and become statements. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

13 hours ago, STC said:

In today's world, headphones is just practical for personal space.  For recordings, they have their own reasons. End of the day, they all make music to sound good over speakers.

Nicely said. 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 3/24/2019 at 4:10 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Yes. It's not a war between them, right? 😎

It all depends on the users use of each, what they want out of their system, the environment they live in and their budget. The only childlike war is when either side thinks their choice is better, its no different in car brands or any brand of anything a user chooses to use. . You buy a product for yourself not to appease someone else.

The Truth Is Out There

1. To get 20-25 Hz quality sub bass out of your speakers you need not only a top notch audio system but also a big treated listening room. With headphones you don’t need a big room and acoustic treatment and can obsess over other things.
  2. Even the quietest room has noise floor of 35-40 db or more.
  3. For XXXX dollar/euro you can get a really good new headphone system. A new speaker system at the same price would maybe sound okay, but no cigar.
  4. Btw most record studios use headphones to mix and record and use speakers for the last arrangement.