IGNORED

SQ or SNAKEOIL

SQ or SNAKEOIL  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

So you are now claiming that these measurements will either prove, or disprove what thousands of people worldwide have reported ? Irrespective,. people listen with their ears, not test equipment.

All I'm saying is - by the thousands and millions even - people believe all kinds of things and can claim all kinds of things that might not be true. So long as this doesn't break some laws, I'm fine with this...

All I'm saying is that a USB hub has characteristics that can be demonstrated and that a technology company (UpTone) should be able to explain the process they used to verify the improvements made.

Yes, people use their ears. But the product description was about "packet noise modulation", "ground plane noise", furthermore "poor signal integrity and impedance mismatching" being a problem and that the "REGEN is the cure".

Not sure why the company could not come up with something in 3 years.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 minute ago, Archimago said:

Not sure why the company could not come up with something in 3 years.

Perhaps such a small company has other more pressing priorities, such as first becoming financially secure by rapidly designing and putting to market other products while they are in the public spotlight ?

They need to do this in order to expand and employ more people.

I am disappointed to see the spotlight is being kept by people like yourself on  Uptone, when they are now just one of many companies with very small staff numbers, sometimes " one man  bands", putting similar accessories to market.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yes, I shouldn't have said the first part, for which I apologise, but I am heartily sick, tired  and fed up with uncalled for remarks like these from people like yourself, Mansr and others about fellow professionals , and I feel certain that I am far from the only member (temporary?) who feels this way too.

This includes  similar types of comments about well respected people such as Gordon Rankin.

Do other forums permit these kinds of remarks about the professionalism of other members ?

Apology accepted.

Hang on man, what "uncalled for remarks"? Why is stating the obvious about the product development cycle and asking for some information after 3 years inappropriate!? Besides, the original comment was a response to @Superdad. Thus far I have seen no response.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps such a small company has other more pressing priorities, such as first becoming financially secure by rapidly designing and putting to market other products while they are in the public spotlight ?

They need to do this in order to expand and employ more people.

I am disappointed to see the spotlight is being kept by people like yourself on  Uptone, when they are now just one of many companies with very small staff numbers, sometimes " one man  bands", putting similar accessories to market.

Yes, small company, few workers... I just don't think I'm asking for much. Putting a few screen shots up or showing some reduction of noise would be nice.

47 minutes ago, sandyk said:
2 hours ago, mansr said:
3 hours ago, Archimago said:

still think John Swenson's posts are "empty, impressionistic chatter" that do not contain any "real answers" though.

That's a splendid characterisation of his "insights." - mansr

We need to remember here , that John is posting in an Audiophile forum, where the vast majority of members do not come from technical backgrounds. They are mainly people seeking ways to further improve their musical experiences.

What you are asking for is the level of explanations, measurements and other proof required by Professional Associations, or perhaps even Hydrogen Audio.:o

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Yes, small company, few workers... I just don't think I'm asking for much. Putting a few screen shots up or showing some reduction of noise would be nice.

Coming from a technical background as a retired Principal Telecommunications Technical Officer with Telstra , and a DIY person for >60 years, I like to see this too, but there are only so many hours in a day for a small start up company until they reach their full potential with expanded product lines. Also., my understanding is that John isn't exclusively designing for Uptone, so has even less available time to do these things when he needs to secure his future after a recent redundancy.

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

so my question is how they came to design their initial product(s)

- if they had no theoretical or measurement background to guide them

In John Swenson's case It's called EXPERIENCE !  John is a qualified E.E. with wide Industry experience.

Some of the other start up companies in this area are undoubtedly basing their products around ideas and suggestions put forward by others. Some of these products even had their beginnings in requests for specially designed products by C.A. members !

20 hours ago, Archimago said:

In preparing to produce a product that ostensibly fixes/improves various issues like noise and jitter, should it not be more like:

1. We have a hypothesis about noise and jitter among USB chipsets, we believe some PHY devices are better than others.

2. The engineer (John) then *measures* to show that noise and jitter are different between different chip sets, thus we can try to improve things.

3. The engineer then wants to link such differences in the USB devices to sound quality from USB DACs. So he takes his "standard" USB DAC and *measures* or at least uses *controlled listening tests* to check that there is in fact correlation.

4. Once that correlation is made, she/he then selects the best USB "hub" chipset, and builds the lowest noise and jitter prototypes to experiment with the best possible design (at the target price point, etc.).

5. He/she then verifies this/these prototype(s) by *measuring* and/or do controlled listening to ensure that the design achieves the electrical and temporal characteristics the engineer had set out to accomplish - ie. lowest noise and jitter.

6. Finalizing design... Deciding on manufacturing... Advertising... Selling...

I'm a proud subjectivist because there are just too many things we cannot measure.  But I have to admit your point about the scientific method is damn good.  It's also exceptionally hard to dispute  (Curses!  Foiled again!)  I will check out your blog--thanks!

But in that same spirit of hypothesize, test, decide....I must note that I am also one of the <10 people who returned a REGEN (I found it harsh in my system).  The Uptone guys were great, and took it back right away.  I would encourage others to experiment with the REGEN and its competitors in their systems, with as much "controlled" and casual listening as possible.

Just now, Ralf11 said:

so my question is how they came to design their initial product(s)

- if they had no theoretical or measurement background to guide them

The thing is, they have a theoretical background (ie. PHY noise, ground plane noise, etc... interfering with sound quality). But you're right, that leap from theoretical benefit to actualization of solving the problem appears absent.

I am certainly not accusing that John does not have the data. But I do believe from a business perspective, if they did release the results of what guided them to make a good product, it would enhance interest in the product and ultimately even allow for better devices which we can all benefit from!

28 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In John Swenson's case It's called EXPERIENCE !  John is a qualified E.E. with wide Industry experience.

Some of the other start up companies in this area are undoubtedly basing their products around ideas and suggestions put forward by others. Some of these products even had their beginnings in requests for specially designed products by C.A. members !

Yes, experience is good. Remember what I said earlier, this is not about having faith in someone. It's simply a request to understand how an engineering problem was resolved!

19 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I'm a proud subjectivist because there are just too many things we cannot measure.  But I have to admit your point about the scientific method is damn good.  It's also exceptionally hard to dispute  (Curses!  Foiled again!)  I will check out your blog--thanks!

Hi PeterG. No worries. I have some good audiophile friends who are staunch "subjectivists"! But we still enjoy some great music, love to chat over dinner and beer, share about family and banter about great gear B|!

Some things we'll just "agree to disagree" when it's just "subjective" opinion in nature. But other things like what guided an engineering approach does require discussion that's more intellectual and logical in nature which is what I hope we're talking about here with UpTone and the REGEN. Nothing personal in this kind of back-and-forth discussion.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

I am heartily sick, tired  and fed up with uncalled for remarks like these from people like yourself, Mansr and others about fellow professionals

On behalf of all the engineers you've insulted over the years, what do you think we are?

I think engineers are guys that got away with being able to study cookbook physics texts (like Holiday & Redneck at the place I went to) while the rest of us had to sweat thru the Berkeley books.

re: release the results of what guided them to make a good product - maybe that would let out trade secrets?

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

re: release the results of what guided them to make a good product - maybe that would let out trade secrets?

If the product is inventive, then surely they should patent it to declare their rights. I don't see how releasing before and after noise levels, timing accuracy, or improved DAC output is a trade secret... For example, I presume for the REGEN, John Swenson must have tested many USB hub chips to find the best one with the lowest noise. Whichever USB chipset used would be his "trade secret". Showing that the REGEN accomplishes the improvements would not automatically point to the chipset involved.

26 minutes ago, Archimago said:

If the product is inventive, then surely they should patent it to declare their rights. I don't see how releasing before and after noise levels, timing accuracy, or improved DAC output is a trade secret... For example, I presume for the REGEN, John Swenson must have tested many USB hub chips to find the best one with the lowest noise. Whichever USB chipset used would be his "trade secret". Showing that the REGEN accomplishes the improvements would not automatically point to the chipset involved.

Whoa!  Only certain types of inventiveness are patentable.  Further, even once a patent is granted, protecting it is difficult and complex at best, with guarantee of success.  The factors in determining the best course for the inventor are about 100 times more complex than a paragraph or two here (nor could I attempt them).

Had a fascinating conversation with a federal judge's clerk while waiting for the jury to come back in a patent case where my company had invested $1MM in legal fees and our opponents had invested 2X that.  I asked if she thought we were going to win.  Her response--we NEVER know with patent cases.  WE WON!  (But it still shakes me up that even a highly trained person who spends her life in a courtroom thought it was 50/50 even after the case.)

5 hours ago, Summit said:

Yes wouldn’t it be wonderful if DACs was truly immune to all kind of noise and timing errors and nothing up stream of the DAC made any difference?

Wouldn’t it be even greater if speakers was immune to the quality of all upstream gear and also the room?

Until that happens hallelujah, I will continue to use my upstream gear that I consider have a positive effect on SQ and that makes me enjoy listening to music.

The aspect which is nearly always not given enough "respect" is that audio reproduction occurs via a system, and the overall integrity of that system, taking everything into account, is the most important factor. Combos of "brilliant" components just hooked together will always lack the capability of a very well sorted system using ordinary, consumer grade parts - this has been evident to me for decades; but nothing much has changed in attitudes of the audio crowd over that time ...

40 minutes ago, Superdad said:

c) Do you think that the dozen plus well-staffed firms producing all manner of dedicated music servers and renderers are simply selling overpriced snake oil?  I am referring to companies such as Aurender, Auralic, Melco, dCS, Lumin, exaSound, SOtM, etc.

Until proven otherwise: yes. This said, dCS does make a case I subjectively find absolutely stunning.

40 minutes ago, Superdad said:

iFi Audio has nearly 10 hub-chip based devices, a much larger staff, and a hyper-active marketing department--and yet I never see any of the skeptics calling them out or demanding measurements.

Not to be petty or anything, but bringing Amir up and then complaining about iFi not getting their fair share of skepticism... 9_9

[Have you read the users reviews and comparisons of Dianetics ? They have thousands of people who're selling their houses to get the full Xenu experience !]

(All snark put aside, thanks for engaging. And if and when you guys can demonstrate that what you do is, at DAC output, worth what you're asking for it over what I currently use, I, for one, will be happy to buy from you. If you get more customers in the meantime, all the better :))

1 hour ago, mansr said:

On behalf of all the engineers you've insulted over the years, what do you think we are?

Angels whose Halos have slipped ? 9_9

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

Whoa!  Only certain types of inventiveness are patentable.  Further, even once a patent is granted, protecting it is difficult and complex at best, with guarantee of success.  The factors in determining the best course for the inventor are about 100 times more complex than a paragraph or two here (nor could I attempt them).

Had a fascinating conversation with a federal judge's clerk while waiting for the jury to come back in a patent case where my company had invested $1MM in legal fees and our opponents had invested 2X that.  I asked if she thought we were going to win.  Her response--we NEVER know with patent cases.  WE WON!  (But it still shakes me up that even a highly trained person who spends her life in a courtroom thought it was 50/50 even after the case.)

Interesting note PeterG. Ouch, sounds painful going through situations like that! Well, glad your company won in any event :-).

8 hours ago, Summit said:

Yes wouldn’t it be wonderful if DACs was truly immune to all kind of noise and timing errors and nothing up stream of the DAC made any difference?

Indeed it would. And there are DACs which closely approach this ideal, some of them quite inexpensive. If a significant proportion of audiophiles value this immunity and are vocal about it, manufacturers will prioritise it in their designs.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:19 AM, firedog said:

the choices are too binary. The real answer for me is "X can make a difference, sometimes, depending on setup"

This, I think every discussion about... "SQ or SNAKEOIL" should be preference'd with this or any discussion about any kind of incremental improvement in any hobby or pursuit

If you haven't got the fundamentals nailed, spending resources on the "advanced" stuff or any incremental improvements isn't going to fix a fundamental problem.

To over simplify with an analogy, if I have my cell phone next to my tube amp and I'm hearing some noise... a fancy shmancy NOS Museum Grade Tube , power condition, magical noise cancelling power cables and event he best DAC in the world won't likely remove the noise... as I have a fundamental issue