IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

1 minute ago, shinyc said:

Yes, I am on 1.0.2. I still need to turn off the "Delay compensation" setting. Only then, the centering issue is gone. Do you not have that issue even if the "Delay compensation" setting is on? I still do not know what exactly the setting does, though.

Yes, it is ON.

Maybe that's just the points I picked up this time, .. although it shouldn't matter. And then Sofa/Wide. Other methods - chair and Sofa/Focused - sound quite bad for me

Anyway, so I was lucky this time.

Another annoying bug, which exists more or less for a year, is that sometimes during the measurements Dirac Live does not record, and I don't see the spectrum graph displayed. I do hear sweep sounds though. I then just move on to other points and afterwards go back to re-measure.

Hi Guys,

please drop me a note whether the present 1.0.2 version of the DAP (stereo) is now the stable version? I don't want to enter in the beta-testing business that many of you are doing. Therefore I wouldn't like a "more stable" version or a "nearly stable" version of DAP in these two years of upgrading an expensive piece of software from 2017 onwards.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Any visibility into which AV processors are likely to incorporate Second Generation Dirac Live?  Emotiva, NAD and Arcam both offer first generation. 

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

1 hour ago, Brucemck2 said:

Any visibility into which AV processors are likely to incorporate Second Generation Dirac Live?  Emotiva, NAD and Arcam both offer first generation. 

Good question. Also hoping to see other companies scrap Audyssey for Dirac (I.e Marantz); keeping fingers crossed

I just tried to rework my measurements with all the updated software (2.3 and 1.0.3) on my MacOS system using the standalone processor.

I am having the same issue mentioned above saying that I "do not have the the proper license".  I tried the dismiss, login, logout suggestion above several times with no luck.

I can however see and connect to my NAD 758 and 658 based systems from the Dirac Live measurement software.  They seem to work correctly most of the time.  No complaints there.

THEN - and I apologize in advance for the ranting that is about to begin...

When I try to connect to the Dirac help center - the same cycle of problems starts that happens EVERY time I have an issue.  My password won't work.  I try to change it.  I get a notice that an email will be sent that I don't get.  I check my junk folder - its not there.  Try the whole thing several times again.  Eventually that email will finally get through.  Then I will file a ticket, and get no response.  Then I will try again, and get no response.  Finally, we will connect somehow and they will suggest that my ISP is on some sort of restricted list.  I will remind them that we have already had this conversation, and that I have checked all the lists per their suggestion, and that there is no problem - and that I have no problem communicating with any other help desk on the PLANET - just this one. Then I will curse a lot, and come here, or an other forum to post where the very helpful and apologetic Flavio will intervene and I can move forward.  I owe him a drink sometime - but I think we maybe on opposite sides of a large body of water.

I cannot understand how a company that can make such a sophisticated and powerful product cannot get the whole licensing and help desk thing to work.  I get so frustrated every time this happens - I start considering buying a $2000 NAD M10 to replace my standalone setup - just to not have to deal with this crap anymore.

And then, after this time spent learning I can't use the software, getting pissed off, ranting in public at strangers in frustration - my family will come downstairs and start making noise again so that I can't take measurements even if I wanted to.

I just don't know why I try to make the standalone work anymore.  I am about to ask for help I guess - but I am not sure I really want it.  Am I alone in thinking this is just too much damn effort?

Help?

Crisis averted.  I was able to use another Mac in the house that was having the license problem.  Stand by the help desk access needing some attention.

All went relatively smoothly.  Am I hearing a new whistle like sound at the very end at the each of the 3 sweeps?

all -- i'm on v1 of dirac live and have been pleased with the way it works.  i use roon and use dirac on a win pc that runs roon bridge.  the virtual soundcard approach works great.

i'm bummed that this approach was ditched with v2.  i understand that the workaround is using separate virtual cable software.  how well does this work?  what other approaches have roon users used with dirac v2?

thanks!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 weeks later...

After some advice please folks.

Spent 1 hr today trying to get DL 2.0 working.   I have a minidsp 22D that is working fine with DL1.0.    I recently got a new Dell Laptop with W10 so thought I would run DL 2.0    My system runs from Lagoon mini PC via usb to Mutec via AES to 22D via AES to Kii 3 speakers.   I run 22d vol at max and use the Kii 3 controller to control overall Vol levels.

I have the DL 2.0 manual with me and W10 is set up correctly as per the Manual.   My 22d vol is set to 100% (tried it at about 80% as well)  and I raise the pink noise via the Kii 3 controller vol.

I have the minidsp 22D patch on my W10 Laptop.   Installed DL 2.0 software as well.   Created DL login.

Plugged in the cable to the laptop/22D & Umik1/Laptop.

Started 22D minidsp patch.   All connected fine.   Hit the Start DL button on the4 patch.   Attunuation in the Patch set to -10 as advised.   Master Vol set to -31.5       No probs, DL started and recognised 22D immediately.    Loaded Umik1 files.

Forward to set up 'Vol Calibration' and that's were the trouble was consistent.     Eventually I could get a level reading on either L or R speaker but never on both.    After setting one or the other 1st the 2nd speaker would keep coming up with 'Device Internal error'.    I never pushed the Master Vol over the -31.5 or the Mic Gain over 100%.    According to my DB metre on my iphone it was only pushing 80db vol pink noise.

Each time I went to set the 2nd speaker (either L or R) the pink noise button will switch on but not off.   and when I hit the off button I get the Internal Error message.      I have to reset the software each time to turn the pink noise off.    

Any thoughts on why the DL software keeps throwing the Error message?   Am I over driving something somewhere

Regards Cazzesman

On 12/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, shinyc said:

image.png.d4147f8a8957d3986460e5599403ce10.png

Turning off the delay compensation setting fixed the issue.

Hi all,

may I come back to this issue. I also have the impression that my first 2.3 curve resulted in a slight shift to the left. I read this recommendation and turned off the two checkboxes, which resulted in a centered soundstage, but the tonal quality is worse than with checked boxes.

During measurements I played music with JRiver and the Dirac Processor was ON. My question is: Does Dirac LIve use the processor during calibration or does it bypass the processor? Do I have to uncheck the two boxes in JRiver during calibration in order to obtain a centered soundstage?

Mac mini (Mojave, Audirvana/Amarra/Roon) -> Dirac -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> devialet 200 -> MIT Shotgun MA -> Verity Audio Leonore

8 hours ago, GoldenEar said:

Hi all,

may I come back to this issue. I also have the impression that my first 2.3 curve resulted in a slight shift to the left. I read this recommendation and turned off the two checkboxes, which resulted in a centered soundstage, but the tonal quality is worse than with checked boxes.

During measurements I played music with JRiver and the Dirac Processor was ON. My question is: Does Dirac LIve use the processor during calibration or does it bypass the processor? Do I have to uncheck the two boxes in JRiver during calibration in order to obtain a centered soundstage?

Good question, I have always unchecked any filter before creating a new project.  Even though I assumed it would not use it to create the new project.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Finally got some more me time today and spent the morning using DL 2.3.3. with the Minidsp22D.   Software in a Dell Laptop with W10.

As I have mentioned previously the 2.3.3. firmware worked fine (Unlike the 2.4 update).    DL 2.0 is similar but different to 1.0.  Probably more user friendly in some ways.     The downloadable manual is pretty good so make that a first point of call.   DL 2.0 is fussy about how it is started and used. 

Ran the 9 sweeps for the 'Sweet Spot' single Chair Mode.   Nothing out of the ordinary in the room and the corrected curve needed little tweaking.    I gradually rolled off the bottom end from around 22htz, boosted the mids very slightly and rolled off the highs over 1800htz.   

The Kii's responded stunningly.   Within the Kii EQ, i bumped up 47htz 2.0db to cover a dip and that was it thus far. 

Switching between on and off with DL 2.0 there is not alot of difference between it and the standard Kii 3 presentation.   The difference is a slightly more forward presentation in the vocals that I prefer, a general sense of more musical cohesion and an overall richness in the lower mid and bottom end. 

Loving what I am getting after running through my 12 'Go To' listening tracks.   Richness, clarity, sound-stage and dynamics.    Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes blasted from the Kii's.

These past 10 years, since I have really started to hone in on my home audio experience, I have come to the belief that the best bang for your audio buck is............

Active Speakers

Room Treatment

Digital EQ

Understanding Wife. 🥰    (did someone say Valentines day is upon us)

Regards Cazzesman

Regarding the processor's gain control....  how exactly is that control working to reduce or increase volume (to help with potential clipping?).  

Are there any guidelines for how much reduction is too much?

I  keep mine around -13db because some of my albums are mixed at very high levels.

The recommended minidsp guideline is a setting of -10bd for the headroom required.  I used that -10db on the minidsp plugin.    My room is pretty well treated so I did not have any major issues whereby a boost was required except at 47kz.  That was only +2db and I used the Kii 3 EQ to do that. 

Now that my curves are setup, I run the minidsp vol at 100% and use the vol control on the Kii 3 controller for sound vol.

Regards Cazzesman

3 hours ago, whoareyou said:

Do we have to recreate filters or retake measurements for these updates?

If previous filters don't work one should be able to load a previous project and create new filters without having to retake measurements

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

14 hours ago, flak said:

If previous filters don't work one should be able to load a previous project and create new filters without having to retake measurements

Hi Flavio,

could you please be more precise about 'don't work' ? For me they work.. Should I skip the update then? Also, I thought that higher sampling rates were already supported before? In JRiver I have already sample rates configured up to 192/24

Where this Enhanced Phase Correction algorithm for improved stereo reproduction takes place?

How can I preserve my current filters during upgrade?

After upgrading to DLP v1.1.0, hires files are reproduced at much reduced volume (90% of the time). It is especially true right after playing 44.1khz files. I am running DLP(vst2) hosted by Foobar2000 v1.4.3. Does anyone have similar issues?

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

• 2 weeks later...