IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

I have one filter, that when engaged,is very close in level to the non-engaged setting.   Every other filter decreases volume level significantly when engaged.  For the most part, I've been finding the "engaged"  filters to lower volume more than I'd expect.  Anyone have an idea as to why this might happen?

Also, I've found the measurement process inconsistent in that I generally need to reboot my machine with microphone attached to complete process successfully.  If I don't do this, I almost always end up with incomplete measurements.

And a general question about setting the initial levels; what's the proper procedure?  I generally just try to even out each speaker's volume db reading as much as possible but ....  is there a target db reading (other than it's "green") that I should be achieving?

21 hours ago, whoareyou said:

I have one filter, that when engaged,is very close in level to the non-engaged setting.   Every other filter decreases volume level significantly when engaged.  For the most part, I've been finding the "engaged"  filters to lower volume more than I'd expect.  Anyone have an idea as to why this might happen?

Also, I've found the measurement process inconsistent in that I generally need to reboot my machine with microphone attached to complete process successfully.  If I don't do this, I almost always end up with incomplete measurements.

And a general question about setting the initial levels; what's the proper procedure?  I generally just try to even out each speaker's volume db reading as much as possible but ....  is there a target db reading (other than it's "green") that I should be achieving?

Hi whoareyou,

every EQ (including Dirac Live) needs headroom in order to be able of boosting those frequencies that require it without incurring in digital clipping, as a result the output level is reduced and that needs to be compensated by the volume control.

With reference to setting levels I suggest the following...

adjust the "Master output" to a “normally loud” listening level, not disturbingly loud but not too low either.
In doing so you might see a red lock that will inhibit increasing the volume further, it's a safety measure that can be unlocked by clicking on it.
Now check if the levels reach the middle of the green, if so proceed with measurements.. if not gradually increase "Mic gain", up to maximum if necessary.
If increasing "Mic gain" to maximum is not sufficient then increase "Master output" as required to reach the green.
This procedure is aimed at optimising the ratio between the volume of test signal and ambient noise for more accurate measurements but if you want to be extra safe you can instead start by adjusting "Mic gain" to maximum to then gradually increase "Master output" until the test signal reaches the green.

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

23 hours ago, flak said:

Hi whoareyou,

"every EQ (including Dirac Live) needs headroom in order to be able of boosting those frequencies that require it without incurring in digital clipping, as a result the output level is reduced and that needs to be compensated by the volume control. ....."

Thanks for the explanations.

As far as the headroom adjustments to avoid clipping, is this something that is still being "tuned" by Dirac for the final product release?

I ask because some playback ( I believe always 2 channel)  requires, what I consider, way too much amplifier increase for playback play at acceptable volumes.  

There seems to be way more headroom than required by these recordings 

@whoareyou

we now have a new version of the DiracLiveProcessor that you might check for the headroom adjustment.

The ”Measure” tab has been removed and Dirac Live no longer should be invoked via the processor, instead it can be opened separately and Dirac Live Processor will appear as a device to be selected when Dirac Live will be launched.

Also VU-meters and clipping indicators have been added.

Available as usual on request from here: http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

14 minutes ago, flak said:

@whoareyou

we now have a new version of the DiracLiveProcessor that you might check for the headroom adjustment.

The ”Measure” tab has been removed and Dirac Live no longer should be invoked via the processor, instead it can be opened separately and Dirac Live Processor will appear as a device to be selected when Dirac Live will be launched.

Thanks, Flavio

Wow, Flavio

Finally!!!

We have learnt that a colour blindness of some of our Dirac Live users makes it very difficult for them to use the 2.x calibration tool.
I'm pleased to inform that a dedicated colour scheme will be included in the next release.

Flavio

Hello flak,
even with the latest version I still have this problem (I sent the crash report to Dirac via HelpDesk.) :

On 8/23/2019 at 9:01 AM, michelangelo said:

Hi damien78,

i use Audirvana in iTunes integrated mode with Audio Units (DiracLive). When "Real-time control (not for DSD playback)" is selected, Audirvana crashes when the Samplingrate changes.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, damien78 said:

This is an issue in the current Dirac Live plugin that crashes (and thus causes its host application to crash) when changing sample rate.

Don't hesitate to report this crash (with the crash report that shows the function that crashes in the Dirac plugin) to Dirac. The more reports they'll get, the faster they'll fix this.

♦ iTunes ♦ Audirvana 3.5 ♦ Dirac Live ♦ Dynaudio Connect ♦ Dynaudio Focus 200 XD ♦ Allo Digione Signatur Player ♦ Dynaudio Focus 600 XD ♦

On 8/26/2019 at 7:23 AM, flak said:

Hi esbrewer,

the calibration tool is intentionally the same so that future updates will work for all setups but..

it might change because a modified calibration tool is required for the advanced bass management that we are beta testing

I am finally trying to do some fresh measurements for my standalone system.  I can get the calibration tool going.  It sees my UMIK mic, but I cannot seem to get the tones to come out the digital out on my iMac.  I am guessing that it is trying to send them to my NAD 658 that it recognized at startup.  How do I tell the calibration tool to use the local output?

Ted

On 10/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, michael123 said:

On 10/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, flak said:

@whoareyou

Thanks, Flavio

Flavio,

I received download link for the processor, but the link points to the same version number that I already have installed  My current version is DiracLiveProcessor-0.9.24-alpha-win64 

Can you please confirm what the version number for this new processor?

I don't want to install wrong version.  Reason.... Each VST install to JRiver corrupts my Jriver license and I don't want to go through process of restoring Jriver license with incorrect DLP install.

This installation with JRiver real problem that needs to be corrected.

I have reported this to help desk via Dirac portal.  I believe it to be uninstall registration info incorrectly entered to windows 10 registry.

Can you also confirm the sample rates currently supported by the processor.  Last correspondence I have on this is that 88.2khz is NOT supported.   Has this changed?

Thanks,

Martin

OK - Dirac help portal replied and set me straight on needing to actually use the processor to start the measurement process.

Results are impressive.  Went with wide image sofa setting.  Image seems much bigger than before, while retaining detail and separation of things.  Greatest difference seems to be in mids - more forward then before - perhaps too much on some pieces.  Lows seem pretty consistent with earlier versions.  Having more than a few of those hearing new things in very familiar recordings moments.

No clipping noted yet - but I am using -3db of headroom management in Roon.

Now if only the standalone was as easy to use at is on my NAD 658 and 768v3...

On 10/5/2019 at 2:14 AM, flak said:

I have made a new set of measurements with the new version today and I'm getting around 4.5dB clipping. My host/controller app is Audirvana 3.5x on Macbook Pro sending to (uPnP) MicroRendu client.

The issue is, even when I reduce the DL2 plugin headroom by 5dB, it does not stick. It reverts back to 0dB when Audirvana is started again. Not sure if this is Audirvana or DL2 plugin issue.

6 hours ago, macuniverse said:

I have made a new set of measurements with the new version today and I'm getting around 4.5dB clipping. My host/controller app is Audirvana 3.5x on Macbook Pro sending to (uPnP) MicroRendu client.

The issue is, even when I reduce the DL2 plugin headroom by 5dB, it does not stick. It reverts back to 0dB when Audirvana is started again. Not sure if this is Audirvana or DL2 plugin issue.

Thanks macuniverse,

the plugin not saving the level setting so that one can incur into digital clipping unless he sets it again is a confirmed bug,

it will be fixed in a future release

I've raised a ticket but I'm getting "version too old" from my plug in to AV+ without warning and can no longer test.  Anyone know what's going on?

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

13 hours ago, SteveS1 said:

I've raised a ticket but I'm getting "version too old" from my plug in to AV+ without warning and can no longer test.  Anyone know what's going on?

Hi Steve,

you should have received new downloads with a later expiry date,

if not please let us know, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Here the latest news...

We have new 0.9.31 betas of plugins (now including AAX) and a new Dirac Live 2.3

Now the plugin is added and opened from within the player or DAW

If interested they are available by opening a new ticket at HelpDesk:

http://helpdesk.dirac.se

That's new as well :)

4 hours ago, flak said:

Here the latest news...

We have new 0.9.31 betas of plugins (now including AAX) and a new Dirac Live 2.3

Now the plugin is added and opened from within the player or DAW

If interested they are available by opening a new ticket at HelpDesk:

http://helpdesk.dirac.se

That's new as well :)

is 2.3 limited to 24/96?  i'm anxious to get the resolution up to 192k like the current production version!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Unfortunately ever since installing the latest Dirac test versions my Audirvana just loads a blank DiracLiveProcessor screen, so I have no access to filters.  Opening DiracLiveProcessor brings up the correct screen so it must be there somewhere.  Does anyone know how to ensure Audirvana picks up the correct screen?

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

I am also trying the new version to work, in my case, with foobar2000. Mine also comes up with blank screen. When I try to connect to the DAP through DiracLive from another computer, DAP crashes immediately. Hmmmm. Help, anybody, Flak??

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2