Jump to content
flak

New second generation Dirac Live

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, flak said:

Version 2.2.3 of the Dirac Live calibration tool has brought some changes one has to be aware of..

- The mic should not be selected anymore in the Audio Settings of the DiracLiveProcessor, it should be selected in the "Select recording device" page after Dirac Live has been invoked.

- The DiracLiveProcessor will not find Dirac Live in the previous location because it has changed, the first time one clicks "Measure" in the DiracLiveProcessor it's necessary to point it to DiracLive.exe along this path:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Dirac\Live

 

Needless to say these complications will be avoided in the final release,

thanks for your time in testing it

Thanks Flavio. On Mac: I unchecked “supports recording” and left mic selection as is. Clicked measure and same thing happens. Dirac Live opens and shows an error “the selected mic is disconnected” and crashes. 
 

update my support ticket #31169 with screenshots

 

PS: I’m running a 2011 MBP on Mojave with Dosdudes patch as 2011 models don’t officially support Mojave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am testing Dirac Live 2.2.3 with DL Processor 0.9.11 on MacMini 2014 with OSX 10.14.6.
Compared to DL 1.2 with Audirvana 3.5.15, I hear a softer and fuzzy sound. The biggest problem so far is that it is not possible to set the input signal level as with DL 1.2. Distorted sound is heard on loud records.
I like the current sound while listening to the B&W 805D3, B&W DB3D, Hypex NC252MP, RME ADI-2 Dac, MacMini late 2014.

Flavio, please add the possibility, to set DL processor input level continuously or stepwise (-2, -5, -10dB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi milva,

thanks for the advice.. also please us DL Processor 0.9.23, if you have'nt received it you can ask at http://helpdesk.dirac.se/


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to test the beta with foobar2000? There used to be support for VST plugins but nothing is available in the components web site now. I tried http://www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html and got the system tray application but selecting Dirac's VST2 DLL got me no further. Some instructions would be great :)

TIA


Hark is that a cannon I hear? - WTF Wozaat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using VST 2.4 adapter v0.9.0.3 (foo_vst). It is working fine except that if one opens the vst using the DSP manager of fb2k, fb2k crashes. @flak Can you fix this issue? I already posted this at your support site. 

 

This only supports 32bit version. 


Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Flavio,

 

thank you for notifying the DL processor 0.9.2.3. She discovered the possibility of changing the input signal level. Unlike version 0.9.2.1, the UMIK-1 microphone is not active even if it is present in the settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, milva said:

Hi Flavio,

 

thank you for notifying the DL processor 0.9.2.3. She discovered the possibility of changing the input signal level. Unlike version 0.9.2.1, the UMIK-1 microphone is not active even if it is present in the settings.

Hi milva,

 

with Dirac Live 2.2.3 the mic should not be selected anymore in the Audio Settings of the DiracLiveProcessor, it should be selected in the "Select recording device" page after Dirac Live has been invoked


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Flavio

 

after your email I tried to set the microphone in Dirac Live, but in VOLUME CALIBRATION the microphone UMIK-1 is not active (not responding). In SELECT RECORDING DEVICE Dirac Live 2.2.3 is microphone UMIK-1 displayed and selected.

 

I use OSX 10.14.6, DiracProcessor 0.9.23 and Dirac Live 2.2.3 on MacMini 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, milva said:

Hi Flavio

 

after your email I tried to set the microphone in Dirac Live, but in VOLUME CALIBRATION the microphone UMIK-1 is not active (not responding). In SELECT RECORDING DEVICE Dirac Live 2.2.3 is microphone UMIK-1 displayed and selected.

 

I use OSX 10.14.6, DiracProcessor 0.9.23 and Dirac Live 2.2.3 on MacMini 2014.

 

That looks like a bug, please kindly report this issue at http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

thanks


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two sitter couch placed against the back wall. Given Dirac way of picking measurements points, my back measurement locations (the ones behind the main listening position) end up on/in the wall. How would you go about it in this case?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, milva said:

Hi Flavio

 

after your email I tried to set the microphone in Dirac Live, but in VOLUME CALIBRATION the microphone UMIK-1 is not active (not responding). In SELECT RECORDING DEVICE Dirac Live 2.2.3 is microphone UMIK-1 displayed and selected.

 

I use OSX 10.14.6, DiracProcessor 0.9.23 and Dirac Live 2.2.3 on MacMini 2014.

 

I have the same problem with the same MacMini/OSX version.  Using XTZ Mic.  It shows on the 'Select Audio Device' page complete with calibration file, but is not active and will not measure.  I won't duplicate the ticket if you have one in.  A real drag as I had some time to make new filters this morning.


Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, macuniverse said:

I gave up on MacOS and installed DL on a Windows PC. Everything worked first time.

 

OK thanks, I’m not touching Windows as I have no other need of it.  I shall raise a ticket.


Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

When comparing the sound with filter on/off, the sound is a couple of dB louder with filter on. So comparing is a little bit difficult. Especially if I run the sound through the v1 DAP to compare, v2 is louder so difficult to compare. 
 

Anyone else notice this loudness difference?

 

BTW I have a 3.0 setup with no bass management through Dirac (I do my bass management else where) and use the DLP vst filter in JRiver MC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, SteveS1 said:

 

I have the same problem with the same MacMini/OSX version.  Using XTZ Mic.  It shows on the 'Select Audio Device' page complete with calibration file, but is not active and will not measure.  I won't duplicate the ticket if you have one in.  A real drag as I had some time to make new filters this morning.

 

This problem has been resolved with a further version, I've created a chair and Sofa SF filter and they both sound excellent.  I still have some reservations about the user interface, which imo is neither as intuitive or presentationally as good as the earlier Dirac iRC.   Also, with the wide range of loudness levels for CD rips, downloads or vinyl rips - the lack of an easy to use output level/clipping indicator is a major drawback compared to the early software.

 

But there is no doubt the sound quality is a major step forward.  I would like to understand more as whether the new measurement app, or changes to the Dirac Live processor are primarily resonsible, but there is definitely a more refined, smooth and spacious soundstage with plenty of clarity and precision.  More subtle details are revealed on material I know very well indeed.  At no point does additional detail seem 'highlighted' more a case of 'uncovered'.  I'm really looking forward to further listening later.  Bravo.

 

Some info on the clipping would be helpful.  I've tended to back off the vertical level indicator by about 6dB until I can see what's happening.


Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DiracProccesor 0.9.24 - OSX 10.14.x


Thank you for adding the function of attenuating the input signal level, but it is not possible to save it in the set value!
The attenuation value is not readable at higher levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confusion re product name and sales

 

Flavio:  

 

Does the standalone Mac/Windows version (with standalone Processor) have a name to distinguish it from the Dirac Live product that works only with licensed AVRs?

 

It appears you have removed the standalone Mac/Windows version from your web Shop.  Are you offering 30-day trials of either 1.x or the 2.0 beta to new customers?


Mac Mini (2012 i7) > HQPlayer or Audirvana > exaSound e32 > Parasound JC-1 > Thiel 3.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.  Recently started with the (Windows) PC version of the Beta.  Jriver 25 (64 bit). 5.1 Multichannel. ExaSound DAC

I'm using DLP 9.12 (newest that can be configured with multi-channel per Dirac)

Per guide (from Dirac)  everything needs to be downsampled to 48hz

 

Anyone else have experience with similar configuration?

 

What works:

Standalone version of DLP works for taking measurements.  Start DLP and select new measurement launches Dirac Live and everything goes as expected.

 

What doesn't work:

Measuring from within Jriver and Dirac VST always fails at the volume calibration. Dirac live launches.  It just won't measure properly if launched from the JRiver host.

 

Maybe not working?:

 I've created a handful of filters via the standalone version.  Once created they show up in the VST.  But playing in JRiver each of them sound exactly the same no matter what I do. For example, target curves with exaggerated bass sound exactly the same as a target curve with greatly reduced bass.  Sofa sounds same as localized.  When the filter is engaged there is a noticeable drop in volume level, so it's doing something.  But when I correct the volume back up, I can't even distinguish changes from the original (unadjusted) source.

 

Dirac can't be that subtle, can it?   The bass region (40 - 80hz) for my speakers (PSB Synchrony One's) has one large spike upward and one downward slope.  I figured if I just had a target curve that exaggerated the upward spike across the entire range I should hear something.   Surprisingly the rest of the measured curve for they Synchrony One's look pretty  good to my inexperienced eyes (why I don't know).  

 

Also, my two rear speakers (side speakers - whatever you want to call them) are behind the listening position and offset.  I figured that Dirac would help with the time delays on these speakers.

 

Any thoughts?  I really feel like there should be a more pronounced audible effect.

 

I was trying to compare this to Audyssey XT32.  Changes from that are easily heard.  And I don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, whoareyou said:

Hi.  Recently started with the (Windows) PC version of the Beta.  Jriver 25 (64 bit). 5.1 Multichannel. ExaSound DAC

I'm using DLP 9.12 (newest that can be configured with multi-channel per Dirac)

Per guide (from Dirac)  everything needs to be downsampled to 48hz

 

 

Hello,

it's important that you keep in touch with us at http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

because for the DLP (DiracLiveProcessor) we now have builds 0.9.23 for Windows and 0.9.24 for Mac and those can be used for multichannel at 96 KHz.

Also something should be wrong as the difference is clearly audible so please contact us, we will be pleased to support you in making it work.

Thanks, Flavio

 

 


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, Bob Stern said:

Confusion re product name and sales

 

Flavio:  

 

Does the standalone Mac/Windows version (with standalone Processor) have a name to distinguish it from the Dirac Live product that works only with licensed AVRs?

 

It appears you have removed the standalone Mac/Windows version from your web Shop.  Are you offering 30-day trials of either 1.x or the 2.0 beta to new customers?

 

Hi Bob,

the Dirac Live 2.x calibration tool is the same for Dirac enabled AVRs/audio components or use in a standalone setup.

A standalone setup needs an additional component though, the DiracLiveProcessor.

Until it will be officially released we will be pleased to send the latest version to those who ask for it at http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

as well as replace it with a build with a later expiry date when necessary :)

 


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, SteveS1 said:

 

This problem has been resolved with a further version, I've created a chair and Sofa SF filter and they both sound excellent.  I still have some reservations about the user interface, which imo is neither as intuitive or presentationally as good as the earlier Dirac iRC.   Also, with the wide range of loudness levels for CD rips, downloads or vinyl rips - the lack of an easy to use output level/clipping indicator is a major drawback compared to the early software.

 

But there is no doubt the sound quality is a major step forward.  I would like to understand more as whether the new measurement app, or changes to the Dirac Live processor are primarily resonsible, but there is definitely a more refined, smooth and spacious soundstage with plenty of clarity and precision.  More subtle details are revealed on material I know very well indeed.  At no point does additional detail seem 'highlighted' more a case of 'uncovered'.  I'm really looking forward to further listening later.  Bravo.

 

Some info on the clipping would be helpful.  I've tended to back off the vertical level indicator by about 6dB until I can see what's happening.

 

Hi SteveS1,

 

thanks for your kind comments about sound quality, I understand that a clipping indicator should be added as you requested in a future update.


Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flak said:

 

Hello,

it's important that you keep in touch with us at http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

because for the DLP (DiracLiveProcessor) we now have builds 0.9.23 for Windows and 0.9.24 for Mac and those can be used for multichannel at 96 KHz.

Also something should be wrong as the difference is clearly audible so please contact us, we will be pleased to support you in making it work.

Thanks, Flavio

 

 

Hi Flavio.

 

I actually have been in touch, but mostly to resolve other issues I've encountered.  I only posted in here, so as to stop bothering your helpdesk workers :)  It's been learning experience for me.  Is it possible to be notified when new versions of beta are released? 

 

For now, I will include version of software I am using with my helpdesk requests as eyecatcher. 

 

I've now put request in for newer version with helpdesk. 

At this point I think it makes sense to complete testing with updated DLP before I start providing additional comments.

 

Thanks again.

Martin

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, SteveS1 said:

 

This problem has been resolved with a further version, I've created a chair and Sofa SF filter and they both sound excellent.  I still have some reservations about the user interface, which imo is neither as intuitive or presentationally as good as the earlier Dirac iRC.   Also, with the wide range of loudness levels for CD rips, downloads or vinyl rips - the lack of an easy to use output level/clipping indicator is a major drawback compared to the early software.

 

But there is no doubt the sound quality is a major step forward.  I would like to understand more as whether the new measurement app, or changes to the Dirac Live processor are primarily resonsible, but there is definitely a more refined, smooth and spacious soundstage with plenty of clarity and precision.  More subtle details are revealed on material I know very well indeed.  At no point does additional detail seem 'highlighted' more a case of 'uncovered'.  I'm really looking forward to further listening later.  Bravo.

 

Some info on the clipping would be helpful.  I've tended to back off the vertical level indicator by about 6dB until I can see what's happening.

 

I agree, the audio quality is top-notch! Very balanced, everything is in focus.

 

For the UI (user interface), I found it excellent in terms of workflow and usability. It's logical, follows the natural steps you normally take. Screens are informative.

 

There are some key functionality still missing from the UI such as entering numbers into target curve nodes rather than trying to get it right with mouse trial and error (unless I missed it). I would imagine the full version will address these missing parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, flak said:

 

Hi SteveS1,

 

thanks for your kind comments about sound quality, I understand that a clipping indicator should be added as you requested in a future update.

 

Thank you Flavio, the iRC and Studio had not only a clipping indicator, but the ability to adjust and save the level for each filter.  That would remain a very valuable facility.

 

Steve


Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to jump in on this late in the game.  I registered to participate in the Dirac Live standalone beta - but got scared off with all the problems at early stages.  Just needed my system to work and the emails were making my head spin a bit.

 

Does it make sense to jump in at this point?  Are we close to formal release or is there something I can still add to the beta?  Kind of lost track with all the emails - and I don't think I even know where to find (for certain) the current versions of the measurement tool and processor for Mac OS.  Is there one page with the current version?

 

Ted


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...