IGNORED

New second generation Dirac Live

On 8/23/2019 at 2:12 AM, esbrewer said:

So I have the link to the 0.9.24 processor for Mac.  But did I see above that the current calibration tool is the same one that I already have for my NAD T758v3 and C658?

Ted

Hi esbrewer,

the calibration tool is intentionally the same so that future updates will work for all setups but..

it might change because a modified calibration tool is required for the advanced bass management that we are beta testing

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

On 8/26/2019 at 1:35 PM, asdf1000 said:

Hi

Can you give key differences of what this advanced bass management feature will allow/enable, compared to current Dirac Live?

Low frequencies are not directional and subs can be connected, measured and corrected as if they were one.
Dirac Live will correct those low frequencies that are output by the subs so that they are aligned with the main speakers.

For an ideal correction there were some issues that had to be solved though.. often subs are not located in the same position of the main speakers and the distance from the main listening point is different.
Now it happens that crossovers are not brickwalls so that frequencies in the crossovering region are output by both the sub and the main speaker because they overlap.
As a result the same frequency will reach the main listening point with different delays and phase from those two sources (this can cause phase cancellation at some frequencies)
Consequently the algorithm has to choose a compromise unless an individual channel is available for each sub (one or more), the Dirac Live Bass management solution provides that and optimizes the interaction between the sub/s and the main speakers in the crossovering region.

Furthermore when more than one sub is used the application will optimize the response of each sub by individually calibrating them but their combined response would be affected by their respective interferences.
The above can be fully corrected if Dirac Live will have control of each subwoofer with an individual channel as possible with the Bass Management solution, Dirac Live will then also optimize the interaction among multiple subs.
As mentioned above this requires additional channels, for example a four channel audiocard or a multichannel DAC for a state of the art Stereo setup using standalone Dirac Live (this is an example: https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8) or one or more channels when using a Dirac enabled AVR/audio component.

Worth noting that this allows positioning the subwoofer/s anywhere in the room without sacrificing performance.

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

2 minutes ago, flak said:

Low frequencies are not directional and subs can be connected, measured and corrected as if they were one.
Dirac Live will correct those low frequencies that are output by the subs so that they are aligned with the main speakers.

For an ideal correction there were some issues that had to be solved though.. often subs are not located in the same position of the main speakers and the distance from the main listening point is different.
Now it happens that crossovers are not brickwalls so that frequencies in the crossovering region are output by both the sub and the main speaker because they overlap.
As a result the same frequency will reach the main listening point with different delays and phase from those two sources (this can cause phase cancellation at some frequencies)
Consequently the algorithm has to choose a compromise unless an individual channel is available for each sub (one or more), the Dirac Live Bass management solution provides that and optimizes the interaction between the sub/s and the main speakers in the crossovering region.

Furthermore when more than one sub is used the application will optimize the response of each sub by individually calibrating them but their combined response would be affected by their respective interferences.
The above can be fully corrected if Dirac Live will have control of each subwoofer with an individual channel as possible with the Bass Management solution, Dirac Live will then also optimize the interaction among multiple subs.
As mentioned above this requires additional channels, for example a four channel audiocard or a multichannel DAC for a state of the art Stereo setup using standalone Dirac Live (this is an example: https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8) or one or more channels when using a Dirac enabled AVR/audio component.

Worth noting that this allows positioning the subwoofer/s anywhere in the room without sacrificing performance.

:) Flavio

Thanks!

And if I have 4 subs, these each sub be able to be individually optimized by Dirac Live?

Or will Dirac Live be limited to 2 subs?

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Thanks!

And if I have 4 subs, these each sub be able to be individually optimized by Dirac Live?

Or will Dirac Live be limited to 2 subs?

Yes asdf1000,

it will optimize four subs and their combined response provided that one has enough available channels, that's the reason why I mentioned the U-DAC8

2 minutes ago, flak said:

Yes asdf1000,

it will optimize four subs provided that one has enough available channels, that's the reason why I mentioned the U-DAC8

In the case of U-DAC8, do you only need one of it's analogue output channels to go to each individual sub?

So just need to use LFE input of sub?

31 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

In the case of U-DAC8, do you only need one of it's analogue output channels to go to each individual sub?

So just need to use LFE input of sub?

If we are discussing a Stereo setup with four subwoofers it will use six of the eight channels of an U-DAC8.. worth noting that Dirac Live will apply the crossovering of the subs

4 minutes ago, flak said:

If we are discussing a Stereo setup with four subwoofers it will use six of the eight channels of an U-DAC8.. worth noting that Dirac Live will apply the crossovering

Thanks! This is the update I've been waiting for! Goodbye bass 'dead spots' 😁

Is it true that Dirac Live will be able to measure and then create (export) convolution filter files, for importing into other programs, like HQPlayer or Roon?

Just got an email from MiniDSP:

Dirac Live 2.0 support for miniDSP products has arrived! We're extremely excited to announce Dirac Live 2.0 support for our 2-channel platforms: the SHD Series, DDRC-22 Series and the DDRC-24. And the best part of all? No cost - Nada, Zero, Zilch, Rien, Niente. A completely Free of Charge upgrade!

Hi flak,

I have the following 3.0 setup:

3 x KEF LS50 speakers (Left, Center, Right) (-6dB @ 47Hz / -3 dB @79Hz)

Before sending it to Dirac (v1) I use Equalizer APO to do the following:

- Copy everything below 79 Hz from the L/C/R channels to L2/C2/R2

- Copy C2 and R2 to L

- Copy L2 and C2 to R

- Copy L2 and R2 to C

This gives off course a little bass bump from around 100 Hz and lower. Then I send that to Dirac v1 which perfectly corrects that bump. When measuring the speakers 'clean' Dirac v1 says the drop-off point is 40Hz

When measuring the speakers with 'Bass routed to all channels', Dirac v1 says the drop-off point is 30 Hz

This gives for me a very beautiful sound and a lot deeper bass than a single speaker can provide. (BTW I first always do a 'clean' measurement with Dirac to see the delays of the channels and put those delays in Equalizer APO already so the 'Bass' arrives at the same time on the sweetspot before I measure again with Dirac)

Now my question is: can Dirac v2 do this kind of Bass Management?

PS for anyone interested, attached is the full Equalizer APO setup I did (5.1 -> 3.0 setup with Bass routed through all three speakers)

image.thumb.png.f74d3eb6e89c83e02b273e8cce04bf01.png

Been running the beta for about 40 days now and after a few bumps, it is now running smoothly with JRiver MC25.  Had no trouble with the VST Plugins.  I really like the new GUI for the Live Calibration, no more switching back and forth from Oblique, to Front, to Top views to get an idea where the mic placement is next.  It recognized my mic and installed the saved calibration file automatically.  Only thing I am looking forward to now is it's actual live release.  I just got an email and they are extending the beta period while they tweak the software.  I will buy this as soon as it hits the streets. 

Oh, my system is simple, Dell Inspiron 7569, i7, running Jriver and Dirac to Schitt Bifrost, Saxon A-700 Intergrated to Audes Blues. My go to test files: DMP Records(Tom Jung)-Flim & The BB's- Tricycle; HDTracks- Grateful Dead- American Beauty 192-24; HDTracks-Supertramp- Crime of the Century 192-24; Telarc-Mussorgsky- Loren Maazel- Pictures at an Exhibition-The Great Gates of Kiev.

50 minutes ago, garysi said:

"Been running the beta for about 40 days now and after a few bumps, it is now running smoothly with JRiver MC25.  Had no trouble with the VST Plugins ....."

Have you had any JRiver issues uninstalling the plugin?  Each time I've uninstalled... remove plugin from JRiver + uninstall from system (for updated plugin) JRiver registration info is lost and I need to reactivate. 

Been trying to get to the bottom of this.  It's happened to me on two different machines.

Hi Flavio,

in latest 0.94 which sample rates are supported? 44,1 & 48 & 88,2 & 96 kHz? Or just the sample rate the measurement was done? Or just 96khz?

When do we can say hello to processor version which supports sample rates from 44,1 to 192khz?

Thanks

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

Since 0.93 we have gain control slider in the processor.

But, it seems the processor does not save a level control setting.

No function at all...or a saving bug?

Does not save in Audirvana and reaper.

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

When I choose in Audirvana real time control I see that gain control works...but the processor simply does no save the control setting without realtime control. 

looks like a bug. need save action for DLNA.

1 hour ago, DSD256 said:

When I choose in Audirvana real time control I see that gain control works...but the processor simply does no save the control setting without realtime control. 

looks like a bug. need save action for DLNA.

With JRiver VST it saves but the UI doesn't properly reflect the saved position.  So UI indicates volume is at 100%, but if you click on control when it's indicating 100%, the volume level increases even though per UI it is already at 100%

On 8/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, whoareyou said:

With JRiver VST it saves but the UI doesn't properly reflect the saved position.  So UI indicates volume is at 100%, but if you click on control when it's indicating 100%, the volume level increases even though per UI it is already at 100%

Inside Audirvana I think it does not save the setting. I did lower the gain volume inside processor -20, saved and closed the audio-unit window and started playback. Stopped playback open processor: gain shows 0db, checked the slider to -20db and then to 0db and saved,  started playback...no volume level differences. So I think inside audirvana the gain volume is not saved.

In Reaper my main DAW, the gain setting is not saved either.

A fundamental question: if I call up a stored project in diraclive.
The sound card, measuring microphone including cal used for the measurement are not connected to the macbook...so diraclive complains:
no ...no calibration file etc.

Now I create a new filter. Are the corrections of the file calibration still included in it? 
Are all relevant data stored in the project? Or do I need to reconnect all devices and then create a filter?

Yes.  You can test this quite easily.  Load a saved project where you are already using a filter, ignore the warnings about missing microphone and process in the normal way send another filter to a new slot and give it a new name.  Check the adjustments for delay and gain (on the Audio Unit screen), they will be the same.  They will sound identical.  All bets are of course off if, when you load a saved project, you then adjust the target curve before producing a new filter.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, SteveS1 said:

Yes.  You can test this quite easily.  Load a saved project where you are already using a filter, ignore the warnings about missing microphone and process in the normal way send another filter to a new slot and give it a new name.  Check the adjustments for delay and gain (on the Audio Unit screen), they will be the same.  They will sound identical.  All bets are of course off if, when you load a saved project, you then adjust the target curve before producing a new filter.

That makes sense...thank you!