IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

6 hours ago, Quadman said:

Your CPU should easily handle DSD256, are you using the bios settings I sent you?  If your MB is still open air then temps are probably not your issue.  I don't use NAA so can't comment there, but many use an NAA with great success.  Try going from PC to dac direct USB with no NAA in the chain.  If you still have issues then it may be the dac having issues with the 256 stream despite the specs saying it can handle that.

Thanks @Quadman

For the benefit of a doubt with inadequate CPU heatsink, I placed this 12900k server inside my refrigerated cellar for two hours before playing 192k to dsd256. Despite this cooler environment, droputs remain when playing 192k to dsd256 with xla filter and 7ECv2. So the heat was not the problem. Next, I will try the server directly to DAC. 

921552B3-FF03-475B-9199-B25BD841BC32.jpeg

CC0D7F3A-FAF7-4BD1-851A-664F1C3A1452.jpeg

16 hours ago, Andrey Boldakov said:

You have field for improvements with something like Sonore ultraRendu with Uptone LPS-1.2 and with audiophile networking

Although I use UP board as NAA in my home IP network but my true main network backbone for digital music is RAVENNA/AES67 and I think the ultraRendu (or similar products) has nothing to do with it... 😅

And there's some special requirements for RAVENNA/AES67 such as IGMP snooping, QoS and VLAN (a robust L2 or L3 managed switch is preferred). So-called 'audiophile switch' for audiophile network seems like not well supported for such requirements.

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

RAVENNA/AES67

Thanks, it's very interesting, will read about it

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

IGMP snooping, QoS and VLAN (a robust L2 or L3 managed switch is preferred)

That's quite reasonable, I do understand those standards deeply

oneguy is absolutely right, all the wine is awesome!) 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:35 PM, Quadman said:

Our motherboards are very similar and we are running the same firmware, when I switch back to W11 pro from ubuntu, I'll go into my bios and report my settings which as you can see above can easily do most filters in HQP with 24/192 material.  I use a 850W PSU in my personal 11900K PC with a 3060GPU and I have zero issues the PSU is NOT your issue.  My buddies 12900K PC has 5600 DDR5 ram, so ram is not your issue.  Although the NH-D15 is a beast for an air cooler it may still not be enough for the 12900K.  Look into 280mm or 360mm AIO coolers.  Also make sure in bios that load line calibration is set to level 4.

Why are you disabling E cores?  All cores should be active, as Jussi points out AVX512 is less important than having the E cores running.  Also make sure 48K DSD is checked and that adaptive rate output is also checked, not grayed.  I made this mistake and 48K material was being upsampled to DSD512 x 44.1 which caused dropouts.  Check your path to make sure 48K is upsampling to 512x48 and 44.1k is upsamling to 512x44.1. Also @ArcticSapian make sure 48K DSD and adaptive output rate are both checked, you have AOR grayed, also check your path as well.

Just a note for comparison.. I managed to do 96khz to 24 mhz DSD512 Ec7 v2 on my 11900k w/o GPU (4.18.1 v Hqplayer).. Strange u are having dropouts.. checked the 48 khz DSD box and 48x512 DSD  

I hv activated AV512 of course 4400mhz Dram on XMP 1 .. 4 cores on 5.0 mhz 4 cores on 4.7

Intel 12900KS processor, anyone here try the new 5.5 GHz TurboMax processor from Intel on HQPLAYER yet? I’m curious to learn how much more HQPLAYER performance can be had with this new processor. The specifications that caught my attention, besides the 5.5GHz max Turbo frequency, are:

Base power increases to 150W compare to my 12900KF

T-Junction temperature is lowered to 90C compared 100C for my 12900KF

The new Intel Adaptive Boost Technology feature that allows for 5.5 GHz Turbo Boost Frequency.

Makes me wonder how much real world performance increase can be realized on HQPLAYER with this new processor. The increase heat concerns me as HQPLAYER could push this new processor into thermal throttling, which would negate any gains.

Jussi/Miska and others, your thoughts or experience with the new processor please. Reason for asking is that I’m considering upgrading for I’m my 12900KF to the 12900KS if it yields more performance or headroom. If the delta is insignificant, then I rather wait for the next big step as the 12900KF meets my current needs.

30 minutes ago, Carlos269 said:

Intel 12900KS processor, anyone here try the new 5.5 GHz TurboMax processor from Intel on HQPLAYER yet? I’m curious to learn how much more HQPLAYER performance can be had with this new processor. The specifications that caught my attention, besides the 5.5GHz max Turbo frequency, are:

Base power increases to 150W compare to my 12900KF

T-Junction temperature is lowered to 90C compared 100C for my 12900KF

The new Intel Adaptive Boost Technology feature that allows for 5.5 GHz Turbo Boost Frequency.

Makes me wonder how much real world performance increase can be realized on HQPLAYER with this new processor. The increase heat concerns me as HQPLAYER could push this new processor into thermal throttling, which would negate any gains.

Jussi/Miska and others, your thoughts or experience with the new processor please. Reason for asking is that I’m considering upgrading for I’m my 12900KF to the 12900KS if it yields more performance or headroom. If the delta is insignificant, then I rather wait for the next big step as the 12900KF meets my current needs.

Problem with the newest Intel processors is their clamps, that hold the processor down warp. It is this warping that pushes the heatsink off the processor and raises the temperature of the processor. Also, active cooling is only recommended with them and with some only liquid cooling is recommended. 90-100C is getting close to the max recommended temperature for them. The other issue is one needs a new PS, as the MB's use different standard for the Intel MB's for this processor.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

12 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Just a note for comparison.. I managed to do 96khz to 24 mhz DSD512 Ec7 v2 on my 11900k w/o GPU (4.18.1 v Hqplayer).. Strange u are having dropouts.. checked the 48 khz DSD box and 48x512 DSD  

I hv activated AV512 of course 4400mhz Dram on XMP 1 .. 4 cores on 5.0 mhz 4 cores on 4.7

are you referring the Chanh's issues?  I discovered his biggest issue was his dac, it only accepts DSD input up to 256, so of course at 512 he will have issues.  What filter are you running in your comment above, filters make a big difference in overall load.

2 hours ago, Carlos269 said:

If you are on capability edge with some functionality, like running EC modulators to DSD1024, it may help. But I assume the overall performance difference to be rather small. So you are likely not going to see any big performance differences.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Quadman said:

are you referring the Chanh's issues?  I discovered his biggest issue was his dac, it only accepts DSD input up to 256, so of course at 512 he will have issues.  What filter are you running in your comment above, filters make a big difference in overall load.

My obstacle is not being able to utilize the poly-sinc-guass-xla filter in Nx for 192k to dsd256 only. No dropout when Nx is others.

11 hours ago, Carlos269 said:

Intel 12900KS processor, anyone here try the new 5.5 GHz TurboMax processor from Intel on HQPLAYER yet? I’m curious to learn how much more HQPLAYER performance can be had with this new processor.

I managed my 12900K OC to 5.5GHz (all P-cores) once. Still inadequate for ASDM5EC, ASDM5ECv2, ASDM7EC or ASDM7ECv2 upsampling to DSD1024 running on Ubuntu Server 20.04 (5.1GHz is already adequate for DSD5EC and AMSDM7EC upsampling to DSD1024 / x48). I'm not sure 12900KS OC to 5.8GHz or higher would meet the requirements of the 4 modulators I mentioned but I would rather wait for 13900K (starting from 5.8GHz).

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I managed my 12900K OC to 5.5GHz (all P-cores) once. Still inadequate for ASDM5EC, ASDM5ECv2, ASDM7EC or ASDM7ECv2 upsampling to DSD1024 running on Ubuntu Server 20.04 (5.1GHz is already adequate for DSD5EC and AMSDM7EC upsampling to DSD1024 / x48). I'm not sure 12900KS OC to 5.8GHz or higher would meet the requirements of the 4 modulators I mentioned but I would rather wait for 13900K (starting from 5.8GHz).

It also depends on which filters are used. For Sinc-L, I can only run 1024DSD at DSD5EC, and it is with the help of RTX A6000. So, yes,I will bypass the 12900KS and wait for 13900K.

Iam out of cpu.

Intel nuc 8i7 i78809.

Windows -roon -hqp with 6 channels/filters in pipeline matrix feeding okto dac8 - active setup.

I can not even do dsd64 without stuttering, cpu 80-100%. Target is dsd128, v2 modulator and ext2/3 or xtr filters.

What all in one pc should i upgrade to?

1 hour ago, Mops911 said:

New i9-13900k is rumored to have 24 cores, 8 P and 16 (double) E cores. Do I understand correctly that hqp uses mostly P cores? Hence, new gen wont help the music community much other than some hopeful P core optimizations?

HQPlayer uses efficiency cores as necessary or if suitable amount of those are available. In other cases, they are left for running other applications.

But increased number of efficiency cores is likely not going to make a big difference. But what could be more useful is, if the performance core clock rates are higher.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I’m very new to HQPlayer and I’ve only been playing around with hqp for a couple of weeks now and finally settled with hqplayer embedded… really enjoying playing with the different filters etc.

My current path is Roon (Mac mini m1) —> Ethernet switch —> Ubuntu pc (hqpe 4.31/ 12900ks/3080ti) —> Ethernet switch —> Rpi4 NAA (hqp os) —> usb —> Douk Audio usb/I2s interface —> hdmi I2s —> PS Audio DSJ (dac).

While playing around with different filter combinations I’ve found something that is very different…

when using poly-sinc-long-lp with 7ECV2 there is an initial 100% utilisation of all p-cores (no utilisation of cuda during this time) for varying lengths of time sometimes 10s, 1 minute, up to 3 minutes and more. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern. After this initial period the system seems to return to normal processing and playing the music.

I’m not sure if this is just normal or if there is something wrong with my setup?