IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

13 hours ago, luisma said:

Hello fellow audiophiles, haven't posted (or listened to music) on a while, job duties. Anyway I'm finishing a watercooled build with a 12900K which I will possibly be OC and deliding it going waterblock straight to cpu die. Has anyone done anything like it already? it is also DDR5 and this will be OC as well. DSD512 with EC modulators of course it will be possible, I was wondering if there is a chance DSD1024 with EC mods could be? most likely not but just asking

DSD1024 poly-sinc-gauss-xla & AMSDM7EC 512+fs is possible with 44.1kHz.

hi-res... you can get there too, with lower-load filters.

after trying various possibilities, I went back to DSD512 poly-sinc-gauss-xla with ASDM7ECv2 — just my personal preference. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.22.40 AM.png

HQPe on 7950/4090/Ubuntu 22.04 → Holo Red → T+A DAC200 / Wavedream Sig-Bal / Holo May KTE 

Zähl HM1 → Mass Kobo 465 / Feliks Envy  → Susvara / D8KP-LE / MYSPHERE 3.1 / ...

Zähl HM1 → LTA Z40+ → Salk BePure 2

Pass XP25 → Salk Song3 BeAT

On 3/10/2022 at 11:02 PM, Cormorant said:

Are you using the Gen 2.1 USB on the Holo May

Hi, yes I am. 

Thanks for all the guidance. Taking a break from HQP for a while. A bit exhausted with it after trying different stuff but can't get HQP to work at DSD512 or PCM 1.4xx/1.5xx. Even 768k is breaking up. Likely my switch (unmanaged). A bit tired now to have to change another item. See you all later. Enjoy.

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

ArcticDude,

After your break, something else to check out is if your HQPlayer Server PC has Jumbo Packets enabled.  Flow Control should be enabled in the Ethernet connection properties too.

My Server PC uses an Intel network controller, which has better throughput and taxes the CPU less than say, a Realtek controller.

Here is what my Ethernet NIC configuration show:

image.thumb.png.c823ad2f0058bf8b895ecc28beb1d145.png

My system here

I also have an intel card (dual JCAT i350) but no jumbo frame enabled. However, the interrupt management is set to off to limit latencies with management via Powershell and the NetAdapterRss command.
Surprisingly the best results are achieved with a single queue and the "conservative" profile.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netadapter/set-netadapterrss?view=windowsserver2019-ps

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

On stock Win 10 Pro, you don't need to do anything. Flow control is enabled by default. And HQPlayer asks Windows to adjust to suitable setting profiles.

If you have touched services by disabling something, these kind of things likely get broken.

Windows server editions don't have these kind of things, because they are not designed for realtime multimedia use.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

I bought a delid tool and copper heat spreader for my 12900k. The plan is to delid and reassemble with conductonaut. Anyone else attempted this for an Alder lake music server?

why would you even risk that?  Buy a KS if you want higher clock speeds.  I just built a 12900K for a buddy.  Only OC I use is the XMP II profile on the asus MB.  I just tested its capabilities with HQP yesterday, with NO GPU.  I was able to run almost every filter with EC7v2 modulator and 24/192 source material to DSD512 EC7v2.  The only exceptions I was unable to run successfully was Closed-Form 16M (24/192 and 24/172.8 did not play lower res was fine), Sinc-Mx did not run with any base rate and Sinc-L which also would not run.  Sinc-LI I did not try but that also may not work as it is very demanding.  Every other filter with EC7v2 modulator worked just fine with a 24/192 source.  What more do you need?

4 hours ago, Quadman said:

why would you even risk that?  Buy a KS if you want higher clock speeds.  I just built a 12900K for a buddy.  Only OC I use is the XMP II profile on the asus MB.  I just tested its capabilities with HQP yesterday, with NO GPU.  I was able to run almost every filter with EC7v2 modulator and 24/192 source material to DSD512 EC7v2.  The only exceptions I was unable to run successfully was Closed-Form 16M (24/192 and 24/172.8 did not play lower res was fine), Sinc-Mx did not run with any base rate and Sinc-L which also would not run.  Sinc-LI I did not try but that also may not work as it is very demanding.  Every other filter with EC7v2 modulator worked just fine with a 24/192 source.  What more do you need?

Is this on an air cooled setup? I kind of view it as the naturally aspirated vs forced induction discussion. Sure forced induction has more potential but there’s something magical about an exotic all motor powerplant. I want to push my system to limit of what possible without any forced air. 

delid, copper IHS, conductonaut. 

I don’t need higher clock speed. Just better heat management to use the power potential I do have. 

13 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Is this on an air cooled setup

No due to the extreme temperatures this CPU can generate I am using a 360mm AIO cooler.  Run cinebench r23 and some core temps still hit 100C with this big cooler.  DSD512 w EC7v2 on the most demanding filters and 24/192 source material can push CPU to over 60C with this cooler.  You realize conductonaut is liquid metal, so if applied a bit to generously you will very likely short out your CPU and probably your MB as well.  Have at it though.

I'm going to use a I5 9600K to setup my audio server, with just 16gb ram.

I would like to use HQ player, as several peoples told me that yes, it does make a difference, even without upsampling or filter.

So it is going to be Win10 optimised, roon and hqplayer, that with a Jcat LAN card.

I truly hope to get better result overall, both with headphones setup and with hifi setup.

Hi

I am looking into a Dell 3260 with 12900 (non-k) and 16GB DDR5 4800MHz, internal graphics.

My goal for the time being is solely DSD256 as my DAC won't do more and will not upgrade the dac for some years.

Would the Dell do all Filter except sync-XX incl the heavy Gauss? There is no overclocking with the Dell ;-)

Would there be any headroom left in case Jussi comes up with some new wonder modulator?

Cheers

T

1 hour ago, Mops911 said:

Would the Dell do all Filter except sync-XX incl the heavy Gauss?

It should especially at 256.  Right now I'm playing a 12900k with no GPU at 512 w ec7v2 and I have zero issues.  All the gauss filters also ran at 512 just fine, including up to 24/192 source material.  I am not really overclocking either, I just set xmp 2 profile in bios, that's it.  Ram is 5600 MHz ddr5.

I have been heavily overclocking my 7980XE recently and had some interesting findings. Just for fun to share the result, it is not recommended as a common practice to follow.

Overclocked all cores to 4.8 GHz, mesh set to 3.2 GHz, DDR4 X.M.P at 3466 Mhz.  With HQplayer multicore DSP checked, no CUDA offload, this 5-year old CPU can do upsampling DSD512 with AMSDM7EC 512+fs, filter poly-sinc-l-xtr without stutter from 44.1 or higher PCM rate.

However it cannot be run for too long.I tried my best to play a 3-min track for a short test. CPU package temperature was nearly reaching the Tj max (94°C). I'm using Corsair 150i AIO watercooling and it cannot handle such task long enough.

@Miska 7980XE can do ASDM7EC at DSD256 without any issue at around 4.1 GHz, 22% utilization (either multicore DSP checked or greyed, no CUDA offload), but it has a tiny glitch - there are some random ticks/pops appeaerd on the left side of the channel. Increasing the buffer time to 250 ms will ease this glitch a bit, but still will expect such pop after a longer while, is it possible to increase the buffer time even longer in HQplayer? I'm using the MAY dac. 

Or you think this is a CPU relevant issue? I can rule out the problem of USB connection and internet transferation. 

I'm just wondering, what's the possible minimum CPU core ratio for loading AMSDM7EC 512+fs at DSD512 on the fly? I'm aware that 12900K is capable of doing it at 4.5 GHz, but I failed to reproduce that using my 7980XE. Any room for further optimisation on this kind of multi-core CPU? 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

39 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

@Miska 7980XE can do ASDM7EC at DSD256 without any issue at around 4.1 GHz, 22% utilization (either multicore DSP checked or greyed, no CUDA offload), but it has a tiny glitch - there are some random ticks/pops appeaerd on the left side of the channel. Increasing the buffer time to 250 ms will ease this glitch a bit, but still will expect such pop after a longer while, is it possible to increase the buffer time even longer in HQplayer? I'm using the MAY dac. 

Usually those are transfer errors, lost or corrupted USB packets. Ultimately buffer time limits are set by the driver. With ASIO it is best to leave the setting at "Default" (use values proposed by the driver) and adjust the buffer settings in the driver control panel.

Or you think this is a CPU relevant issue? I can rule out the problem of USB connection and internet transferation. 

You could try with a NAA to see if it makes a difference.

I'm just wondering, what's the possible minimum CPU core ratio for loading AMSDM7EC 512+fs at DSD512 on the fly? I'm aware that 12900K is capable of doing it at 4.5 GHz, but I failed to reproduce that using my 7980XE. Any room for further optimisation on this kind of multi-core CPU? 

I don't have any further ideas...

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could try with a NAA to see if it makes a difference.

Yes, I was running the NAA running with HQ OS bootable image, so it's the Linux kernel on NAA side, the problem is still there. I cannot control the buffer time in driver control panel. Will increasing the buffer time in HQplayer make any difference?

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

5 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Yes, I was running the NAA running with HQ OS bootable image, so it's the Linux kernel on NAA side, the problem is still there. I cannot control the buffer time in driver control panel. Will increasing the buffer time in HQplayer make any difference?

Yes, it will make similar adjustment. But with NAA OS / HQPlayer OS you can go even as low as 1 ms and it still should work fine since these have a realtime kernel.

But for NAA, my recommendation is to leave buffer time set to Default (similar to 100 ms). Going below 50 ms may have adverse effect on sound and 250 ms is maximum.

Are you sure you are not overloading the modulator? It should not be the case, if buffer time setting makes a difference though. That indicates towards stream problem, most likely at USB side.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Are you sure you are not overloading the modulator? It should not be the case, if buffer time setting makes a difference though. That indicates towards stream problem, most likely at USB side.

I just tried to test some tracks with CUDA offload ON with my RTX 3090, so much less intensive on the CPU or modulator.

I think I found the reason of the ticks and pops. I got every ticks and pops when the Apod number increases on the HQplayer UI.

Am I using the wrong filter on the track inappropriately? I was using poly-sinc-xtr-lp with AMSDM7EC 512+fs, upsampling 44.1/16 to DSD 44.1x512. Just some violin track from Nemanja Radulovic. 

24 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Am I using the wrong filter on the track inappropriately? I was using poly-sinc-xtr-lp with AMSDM7EC 512+fs, upsampling 44.1/16 to DSD 44.1x512.

Use an apodizing filter. See HQPlayer manual for descriptions.

17 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Use an apodizing filter. See HQPlayer manual for descriptions.

Ahh, I see. Just realized that I was using the non-apodizing filter. Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I think I found the reason of the ticks and pops. I got every ticks and pops when the Apod number increases on the HQplayer UI.

Also pay attention to the Limited counter as there are these two. If the Limited counter increments, you have HQPlayer volume set to too high value. Most most content, keeping HQPlayer volume set to -3 dBFS is enough to avoid limiting. But there are some albums where you may need something like -6 or -9.